Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

School Bans Valentine's Day Cards watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    The fact that the headteacher is..well...the headteacher.

Its like saying "what gives the law the right to ban cannabis when most teenagers are in favour of its legality?"
    No it isn't. The headteacher shouldn't impliment something the parents of the children are against, it has nothing to do with lessons.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the headteacher is..well...the headteacher.

Its like saying "what gives the law the right to ban cannabis when most teenagers are in favour of its legality?"
    No it's not Cannabis is thought to be potentially harmful/ dangerous, just as is driving whilst intoxicated etc... sending cards is not harmful so it;s in no way the same.

I agree that obviously heateacher has last say on the matter though, regardless of children's/ parent's opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    It's under your desk sweetcheeks. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I was directing 'you' at any affected person, not you :yy:

Yeh you're right, they do have plenty of time to grow up. So why ban things which kids think are fun just because the odd one might feel left out? You can't possibly ban everything which could make someone feel left out and it would be stupid to do that.

Why is VD disruptive? I can understand why pokermon cards were banned - in our school at least - as this was an everyday thing, VD happens once a year and is pretty much forgotten on most other days... except maybe a day or two after when they try to work out who the card's from :rolleyes: Why should we ban a once a year event for being disruptive?

Aside from this, where has it VD actually caused any emotional stress to a child? I've never heard of it and certainly never witnessed it. So why ban somehing which causes no harm?
    :rofl: so if you've never heard of something or witnessed it it obviously doesn't exist. And i suppose you are the universal benchmark by which the existance of everything is checked right?

It happens once a year, but it is "extra". It has no religious significance, no cultural significance, no ethical significance and above all no academic significance. Why should an academic institution therefore cater for VD?

ReputationRep:
    Crazy Southerners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    This. Maybe we were just sheltered
    did you go to a church school too? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fidelity_blue)
    That's what I thought! I was expecting to see loads of replies like "This is rubbish!"
    And then everyone agreed and I was actually shocked!
    Hehe, maybe the members of TSR never got any luvin' and are bitter :p:
    haha! I think so! In year 6 I painted my nails glittery pink and put heart shaped hair clips in my hair and didn't get any cards, that has not traumatised me at all, I don't recall even being upset. Valentines day was fun when you were a kid :yes:
    Even the parents of the children said its rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    I think the school is CRAZY for doing this.

True, rejection not just happens on valentines day, it happens pretty much some days of our lifes. Either way, kids should need to combat these rejection or i would imagine those kids who don't know rejection when there alot older will be alot worse.

Thats my view. True there are some harsh kids out there. I bet the school principal didn't get a valentines when he was young or he got rejected and now making the NEXT GENERATION...not following that mistake.

Rather pathetic i think..

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: so if you've never heard of something or witnessed it it obviously doesn't exist. And i suppose you are the universal benchmark by which the existance of everything is checked right?

It happens once a year, but it is "extra". It has no religious significance, no cultural significance, no ethical significance and above all no academic significance. Why should an academic institution therefore cater for VD?
    I can have sensible debates but when people start laughing at comments and bending their meaning I give up. What I meant was, if it was causing that much distress to children then I'm sure it would be publicly known by now.

Academic institutions don't have to 'cater' for it. I can understand the fact that disturbance in a classroom would be an issue and they should seek to remove this element. But allowing cards to be exchanged doesn't require a catering service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    No it isn't. The headteacher shouldn't impliment something the parents of the children are against, it has nothing to do with lessons.
    I think that the events that happen within the school actually have everything to do with lessons. In fact that was the reason for the ban...

ReputationRep:
    I think that the events that happen within the school actually have everything to do with lessons. In fact that was the reason for the ban...
    Kids aren't allowed to give each other cards during playtime, whats that got to do with lessons?

ReputationRep:
    I can have sensible debates but when people start laughing at comments and bending their meaning I give up. What I meant was, if it was causing that much distress to children then I'm sure it would be publicly known by now.

Academic institutions don't have to 'cater' for it. I can understand the fact that disturbance in a classroom would be an issue and they should seek to remove this element. But allowing cards to be exchanged doesn't require a catering service.
    I apologise for laughing, i just thought that it was a rather absurd comment to make. if thats what you meant that maybe thats what you should have said? :confused:

Well maybe its not the kind of thing that you really want broadcasted? maybe its not an issue on its own, but adds to bullying that is already present?

Also, as an aside, "catering services" serve food at functions. Im not sure how they fit into delivering cards in a classroom.

I used the word cater as a synonym for "accomodate". Maybe that will make it clearer?

Finally, you see that a teacher should try and remove disruption in his/her classroom. It is fairly obvious that VD cards cause disruption. I just cant see how you're not making the logical connection here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Kids aren't allowed to give each other cards during playtime, whats that got to do with lessons?
    You think that overexcited kids will just forget about their cards and settle down quickly and quietly to a lesson? Did you even go to primary school?

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for laughing, i just thought that it was a rather absurd comment to make. if thats what you meant that maybe thats what you should have said? :confused:

Well maybe its not the kind of thing that you really want broadcasted? maybe its not an issue on its own, but adds to bullying that is already present?

Also, as an aside, "catering services" serve food at functions. Im not sure how they fit into delivering cards in a classroom.

I used the word cater as a synonym for "accomodate". Maybe that will make it clearer?

Finally, you see that a teacher should try and remove disruption in his/her classroom. It is fairly obvious that VD cards cause disruption. I just cant see how you're not making the logical connection here...
    It's not a case of broadcasting it. If serious detrimental effects had ever been witnessed then surely it would be important that it was recognised and therefore it would end up being publicly known. Valentine's day has existed for so long, is there actually any evidence that a child has suffered emotional damage/ similar? Feel free to direct me to it if I've missed this.

I know what you meant by cater, you've misunderstood what I meant - forget that part. All I meant is that the school doesn't actually have to do anything.

Why is it obvious that VD cards cause disruption in lessons?

ReputationRep:
    No it's not Cannabis is thought to be potentially harmful/ dangerous, just as is driving whilst intoxicated etc... sending cards is not harmful so it;s in no way the same.

I agree that obviously heateacher has last say on the matter though, regardless of children's/ parent's opinions.
    :facepalm: i wasnt saying that cards are like cannabis, i was saying that the headteacher is an authority in a position to make executive decisions without consulting the consumers in the same way that the law is an authority in a position to make executive decisions without consulting the consumers.

You missed the point of my analogy completely.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a case of broadcasting it. If serious detrimental effects had ever been witnessed then surely it would be important that it was recognised and therefore it would end up being publicly known. Valentine's day has existed for so long, is there actually any evidence that a child has suffered emotional damage/ similar? Feel free to direct me to it if I've missed this.

I know what you meant by cater, you've misunderstood what I meant - forget that part. All I meant is that the school doesn't actually have to do anything.

Why is it obvious that VD cards cause disruption in lessons?
    You really can't see how the exchaning of many romantic cards across a large number of young, easily excitable children would disrupt lessons?

wait, seriously?

ReputationRep:
    You think that overexcited kids will just forget about their cards and settle down quickly and quietly to a lesson? Did you even go to primary school?
    Did you?? I only got one card while I was in a UK primary school, from a guy I didn't like. I was never upset about not getting any the other times and became unable to do schoolwork. My teachers wouldn't allow us to carry on talking about playground stuff once we'd come in. Its no more difficult then controlling them after playing tag or talking about their birthday.

ReputationRep:
    They did something similar to this in the elementary school I went to in the U.S 12 years ago. They didn't ban, they just said if you were going to send a card, you had to send one to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    You really can't see how the exchaning of many romantic cards across a large number of young, easily excitable children would disrupt lessons?

wait, seriously?
    Children are exciteable anyway, as you pointed out. I'm just not under the impression that a few cards exchanged during playtime - yes, I'd appreciate the ban of exchanging cards in lessons, that probably would encourage disruption - would lead to a day of chaos and reduced learning.

ReputationRep:
    Kids need to learn about rejection. You will get rejected in your life so why not learn to deal with it. People are being taught to be oblivious to their emotions.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.