Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Did you?? I only got one card while I was in a UK primary school, from a guy I didn't like. I was never upset about not getting any the other times and became unable to do schoolwork. My teachers wouldn't allow us to carry on talking about playground stuff once we'd come in. Its no more difficult then controlling them after playing tag or talking about their birthday.
    This reflects my thoughts ^

I understand that young kids are exciteable but banning cards isn't really going to change much in terms of lesson disruption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Did you?? I only got one card while I was in a UK primary school, from a guy I didn't like. I was never upset about not getting any the other times and became unable to do schoolwork. My teachers wouldn't allow us to carry on talking about playground stuff once we'd come in. Its no more difficult then controlling them after playing tag or talking about their birthday.
    With all due respect, im not sure how representative your experience was, especially as one school deemed it as such a disruptive force that they banned it altogether...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    With all due respect, im not sure how representative your experience was, especially as one school deemed it as such a disruptive force that they banned it altogether...
    If you're referring to the school in your OP, they banned it to prevent emotional trauma, not to prevent disruption in lessons. I apologise if I've missed anything though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Children are exciteable anyway, as you pointed out. I'm just not under the impression that a few cards exchanged during playtime - yes, I'd appreciate the ban of exchanging cards in lessons, that probably would encourage disruption - would lead to a day of chaos and reduced learning.
    Whilst i appreciate that you can hold your own opinion, i value the evaluation of the effect of VD offered by a primary school than by a single student.

ReputationRep:
    Yes one school. One out of how many?

I'll also add I was in America until age 9. There it was celebrated and the kids all made cards for each other. In one school we just gave them to whoever we wanted, in another I went to we had to give one to everyone. Neither experiences caused trauma or upset, quite the opposite. It is a lovely, fun day for children. No disruption was caused. So with all due respect, I probably have more experience of Valentines Day in schools than you do.

ReputationRep:
    If you're referring to the school in your OP, they banned it to prevent emotional trauma, not to prevent disruption in lessons. I apologise if I've missed anything though.
    My mistake, i was referring to a different article about the same school that is in a bit more detail from the telegraph. Forgot that it wasnt posted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/relations...Day-cards.html

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that its not a bad idea at all. It doesn't really matter one way or the other, but i think that the school really do have a point. Valentine's Day creates a potentially awkward social situation for kids and, lets face it, kids can be very mean and 'tact' isn't really something they have developed. Kids that young don't need to be worrying about relationships and getting dumped, or worrying about what might happen if no-one gives them a card.

Make sure you ban christmas cards too; children aren't emotionally mature enough to deal with the fact all their friends are getting them while they aren't. It presents a very awkward situation that can disrupt learning.

And we mustn't forget how important learning is in primary school! Miss a few days and you may as well sign on there and then.

Also ban playtime. Risks of being bullied. Actually maybe ban physical contact.

Maybe just ban school :|

ReputationRep:
    Whilst i appreciate that you can hold your own opinion, i value the evaluation of the effect of VD offered by a primary school than by a single student.
    Similarly I appreciate that one school might conclude that VD does have a negative impact on school children, but when VD has been celebrated for almost 2000 years and has generally (I understand that some schools might have already banned the celebration) been accepted in schools, I cannot understand why such negativity is felt, with little evidence of the supposed evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    OK wtf???????
    so because they send out cards and possibly get rejected, this will definitely interrupt their learning. What a load of ********.
    When i was that age i gave my cards to all the people in my class because i liked to share valentine's day with everyone. How is a five year old gonna get rejected btw??
    Anyway this ban is a pile of crap. Some kids send out cards to girls/boys they like, some make them for here friends and family. its all good The worse that could happen is that the boy/girl could give the card back and a person will be left dejected but... it's primary school. They'll get over it!!!

ReputationRep:
    My mistake, i was referring to a different article about the same school that is in a bit more detail from the telegraph. Forgot that it wasnt posted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/relations...Day-cards.html
    Ok thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Yes one school. One out of how many?

I'll also add I was in America until age 9. There it was celebrated and the kids all made cards for each other. In one school we just gave them to whoever we wanted, in another I went to we had to give one to everyone. Neither experiences caused trauma or upset, quite the opposite. It is a lovely, fun day for children. No disruption was caused. So with all due respect, I probably have more experience of Valentines Day in schools than you do.
    I would say you have had a different experience. I wouldn't say more experience though.

One school is a professional establishment that has in all probability been teaching since before you were born.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    Make sure you ban christmas cards too; children aren't emotionally mature enough to deal with the fact all their friends are getting them while they aren't. It presents a very awkward situation that can disrupt learning.

And we mustn't forget how important learning is in primary school! Miss a few days and you may as well sign on there and then.

Lol, you're just great!!! Rep.:cool:

ReputationRep:
    I still didn't find anywhere that claimed lessons were being disrupted I read that the teachers think they should concentrate more on schoolwork but that's the closest I found and that's hardly claiming that lessons have been disrupted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)

Christmas cards are not the extent of christmas. It is the presents that kids are interested in and all kids get them from family etc. Also all kids get christmas cards in primary school. In my experience, kids buy a 30 pack of cheap cards and write To_ from _ in them and hand them out to everyone. I alwas got these and so does my little sister.

Do excuse the primary school for trying to do its job btw. I forget sometimes that the schools only exist to amuse students...no wait, that can't be right.

Maybe they should ban cynisism.

ReputationRep:
    I would say you have had a different experience. I wouldn't say more experience though.

One school is a professional establishment that has in all probability been teaching since before you were born.
    umm...sorry, whats that supposed to mean? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I still didn't find anywhere that claimed lessons were being disrupted I read that the teachers think they should concentrate more on schoolwork but that's the closest I found and that's hardly claiming that lessons have been disrupted.
    Well for starters, the comment you picked up on inferred that VD detracts from students concentration, which therefore disrupts lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Christmas cards are not the extent of christmas. It is the presents that kids are interested in and all kids get them from family etc. Also all kids get christmas cards in primary school. In my experience, kids buy a 30 pack of cheap cards and write To_ from _ in them and hand them out to everyone. I alwas got these and so does my little sister.

Do excuse the primary school for trying to do its job btw. I forget sometimes that the schools only exist to amuse students...no wait, that can't be right.

Maybe they should ban cynisism.
    If you're going to pick at other people for making opinions based on personal experience then you really shouldn't base your arguments on your personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to pick at other people for making opinions based on personal experience then you really shouldn't base your arguments on your personal experience.
    My argument wasnt based on personal experience. I used my personal experience as an example. You rested your entire argument on your own personal experience.

There is a right way to do these things.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, kids buy a 30 pack of cheap cards and write To_ from _ in them and hand them out to everyone. I alwas got these and so does my little sister.
    I hope you open the envelopes for her.

Those paper cuts can be deadly.

ReputationRep:
    My school is selling helium heart balloons and cards and flowers and things to raise money for Haiti :love:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.