Turn on thread page Beta

School Bans Valentine's Day Cards watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Well for starters, the comment you picked up on inferred that VD detracts from students concentration, which therefore disrupts lessons.
    The claim simply implied that the students had more important things to worry about than VD - which is acceptable... it didn't claim that they weren't worrying about these important things during VD.

ReputationRep:
    This country and it's PC ways....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissFanatical)
    I hope you open the envelopes for her.

Those paper cuts can be deadly.
    You are quite the comic genius.

ReputationRep:
    Also all kids get christmas cards in primary school. In my experience, kids buy a 30 pack of cheap cards and write To_ from _ in them and hand them out to everyone. I alwas got these and so does my little sister.
    This was YOUR experience. It is no different to the 'experience' I used to support my argument, yet you picked. If this is how it's going to be then we'll just agree to disagree now because I find it pointless debating with someone who can't follow their own arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Similarly I appreciate that one school might conclude that VD does have a negative impact on school children, but when VD has been celebrated for almost 2000 years.
    Lmao.

The acronym VD is more commonly used to refer to sexually transmitted infections XD

Which do have quite a negative effect on schoolchildren, so your statement still works.

ReputationRep:
    You are quite the comic genius.
    fanx

ReputationRep:
    Lmao.

The acronym VD is more commonly used to refer to sexually transmitted infections XD

Which do have quite a negative effect on schoolchildren, so your statement still works.
    :giggle: I doubt it's been celebrated for 2000 years though... shared might work? :p:

ReputationRep:
    rather sad

ReputationRep:
    Lmao.

I thought that but MSN used VD on the MSN today thingy, which was a little confusing. Lets just say i was expecting a different article

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP must be a troll.
    Well done sir, you got us good.

ReputationRep:
    This was YOUR experience. It is no different to the 'experience' I used to support my argument, yet you picked. If this is how it's going to be then we'll just agree to disagree now because I find it pointless debating with someone who can't follow their own arguments.
    I can follow my own arguments perfectly well. My experience was supporting evidence for my argument. Your experience was your argument. You went down the "ive never seen any negative effects so there are none / ive never had a problem with VD so its all fine" route.

I think the problem here is that you can't follow my arguments...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    I think the OP must be a troll.
    Well done sir, you got us good.
    Yep, i'm a troll. Thats why i sat here for so long posting all the time rather than leaving you all to argue amongst yourselves like a sensible troll would do.

get real.

ReputationRep:
    I can follow my own arguments perfectly well. My experience was supporting evidence for my argument. Your experience was your argument. You went down the "ive never seen any negative effects so there are none / ive never had a problem with VD so its all fine" route.

I think the problem here is that you can't follow my arguments...
    I've never experienced/ heard of VD leading to negative effects - therefore I don't believe that there are any.

You experienced all kids in a class receiving christmas cards - therefore you believe that all school kids receive christmas cards.

There is no significant difference. Either way, I'm not debating this issue any longer.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, i'm a troll. Thats why i sat here for so long posting all the time rather than leaving you all to argue amongst yourselves like a sensible troll would do.

get real.
    Well you are a moron either way. You are allowing one rule for yourself to use as part of your argument and disallowing other people to use the same thing.

I would say you have had a different experience. I wouldn't say more experience though.

One school is a professional establishment that has in all probability been teaching since before you were born.
    This was the last thing you said to me, I asked yout to explain what the part in bold is supposed to mean and you didn't reply.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, they can always do their love card thang after school.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ridiculous. I don't think that rejection from not getting a Vday card is any worse than rejection from not getting an invitation to a classmates birthday or being picked last in P.E. In fact when I was at primary school the latter two hurt me a lot more. So what are they going to do, ban picking teams in P.E. (not a bad idea actually) and giving out birthday invitations in during school? Kids are becoming more and more sheltered nowadays and IMHO it's becoming excessive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    Well you are a moron either way. You are allowing one rule for yourself to use as part of your argument and disallowing other people to use the same thing.

This was the last thing you said to me, I asked yout to explain what the part in bold is supposed to mean and you didn't reply.
    I am sorry, i didn't see your post. I'm not bending the rules. My argument was that all kids got christmas cards. This is common understanding and something that i have been told by many people. I used my own experience as anecdotal evidence. It was not the pivotal point of my argument, it was merely an extra. Shorty was using anecdotal evidence as the foundation of her argument. This is wrong. Is it clever to call someone a moron without any understanding of how an argument works?

And as for the bold stuff, my point was that schools had been teaching kids for years. They knew what worked well and knew what didnt. As VD has been going on for so long, they would have seen the way kids reacted toVD over the years. Therefore they have longstanding professional capacity to make such a decision.

ReputationRep:
    Therefore it serves no purpose other than giving some kids a flurry of excitement and others a pretty hefty rejection (not hefty to us, but crusihng for an 8 year old).
    It never crushed me. It sounds to me like you were a complete pussy when you were 8.

Either way, its distracting kids, so why shouldnt schools ban it?
    Distracting them from what? In primary school there isn't a focus, or there shouldn't be. They are supposed to be getting generally prepared for life by learning skills like adding and spelling that will allow them to partake in real education, and skills like social interaction that will allow them to partake in everything else. Valentine's day contributes to the latter and distracts them from the former for one day a year, so nobody sensible cares.

In the real world they learn to be "tolerant" instead of adding up. And they learn that drugs and alcohol are bad (m'kay). Any distraction from that ******** is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

ReputationRep:
    I've never experienced/ heard of VD leading to negative effects - therefore I don't believe that there are any.

You experienced all kids in a class receiving christmas cards - therefore you believe that all school kids receive christmas cards.
    There is no significant difference. Either way, I'm not debating this issue any longer.
    Wrong, i believed that all school kids receive cards based on general knowledge and friends experience/things that teachers have said/things that i have read etc. I used my own experience as anecdotal evidence to back it up.

However, i agree that there is no point debating this, you clearly are not going to understand.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it's a pointless holiday.
    However, kids need to be able to face some reality of life. This whole 'keep them in a bubble of fantasy so that when they grow up they can't function in the real world' is going to be counter-productive.

Secondly,
    Chinese New Year > Valentine's Day.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.