Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    I am sorry, i didn't see your post. I'm not bending the rules. My argument was that all kids got christmas cards. This is common understanding and something that i have been told by many people. I used my own experience as anecdotal evidence. It was not the pivotal point of my argument, it was merely an extra. Shorty was using anecdotal evidence as the foundation of her argument. This is wrong. Is it clever to call someone a moron without any understanding of how an argument works?

And as for the bold stuff, my point was that schools had been teaching kids for years. They knew what worked well and knew what didnt. As VD has been going on for so long, they would have seen the way kids reacted toVD over the years. Therefore they have longstanding professional capacity to make such a decision.
    And I made the point before you said the bit in bold that was this is one school out of thousands. If Valentines day was so detrimental to children, surely more than just one would have banned it? Perhaps it says more about this schools ability to control their pupils rather than valentines day itself.

And no, Shorty was doing the same thing you and I were doing. Using our experiences as examples to support our view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    It never crushed me. It sounds to me like you were a complete pussy when you were 8.
    This is a hypothetical situation sparked by the article. Nothing more, don't get yourself too excited.

Distracting them from what? In primary school there isn't a focus, or there shouldn't be. They are supposed to be getting generally prepared for life by learning skills like adding and spelling that will allow them to partake in real education, and skills like social interaction that will allow them to partake in everything else. Valentine's day contributes to the latter and distracts them from the former for one day a year, so nobody sensible cares.

In the real world they learn to be "tolerant" instead of adding up. And they learn that drugs and alcohol are bad (m'kay). Any distraction from that ******** is welcome as far as I'm concerned.
    Hmm fair point. Shame the whole educational system seems to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, it's just a celebration to make single people feel akward, kids shouldn't be taught to celebrate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    And I made the point before you said the bit in bold that was this is one school out of thousands. If Valentines day was so detrimental to children, surely more than just one would have banned it? Perhaps it says more about this schools ability to control their pupils rather than valentines day itself.

And no, Shorty was doing the same thing you and I were doing. Using our experiences as examples to support our view.
    No, her argument was that because she had never experienced a problem, nothing needed to be done. But im not arguing that point anymore, its over.

You fail to notice the changing climate of the media. Kids are far more geared towards relationships now than ever before with the likes of HSM and Hannah Montanah dominating the childrens entertainment scene. It is very likely that it never was a problem before because kids were hardly interested. Now that kids are shown relationships in all of their hollywood glory on TV, VD has become a big thing.

ReputationRep:
    This is a hypothetical situation sparked by the article. Nothing more, don't get yourself too excited.
    So you're an idiot aswell as a pussy. "It's crushing for an 8 year old" is an assertion, not a hypothetical situation. The situation is not hypothetical because it has supposedly happened to every 8 year old not to get a Valentine card since forever. Except it hasn't. I doubt you know a single 8 year old to be crushed by this because it doesn't happen. Nobody else does. You made it up and tried to pass it off as the truth because at the same time as being an idiot and a pussy you are also a liar. Nice one.

Hmm fair point. Shame the whole educational system seems to disagree.
    One school has banned the cards. One school.

That school and you care. Nobody else does, and certainly not the "whole educational system". Another lie. Just piss off you ******.

ReputationRep:

That school and you care. Nobody else does, and certainly not the "whole educational system".
    :facepalm:

I was referring to your rather stupid point about school being about learning life skills, counting and then nothing much else.

Do try and keep up with your own arguments.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:

I was referring to your rather stupid point about school being about learning life skills, counting and then nothing much else.

Do try and keep up with your own arguments.
    Hyperbole, moron. Do try to keep up with not being a complete ******* idiot. Oops, too late.

ReputationRep:
    Hyperbole, moron. Do try to keep up with not being a complete ******* idiot. Oops, too late.
    You edited your earlier post just to call me a ******?

Really?

And there is no hyperbole. By setting the national curriculum and having standardised testing, the educational system have expressed the way they disagree with your statement that primary school is purely prep for later learning.

ReputationRep:
    When will people learn there is a social food chain at school that puts certain kids in certain places. You cannot treat all kids the same. Everyone is different and will have different personalities which governs where they stand. This then builds their personalities ready for when they reach adulthood.

If you try to intervene with this (ie kids rejected, others not popular) then these personalities and standings in society will be destroyed, leaving a generation of lost souls destroying future society.

In short; school is governed by a social pecking order that cannot be disturbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    When will people learn there is a social food chain at school that puts certain kids in certain places. You cannot treat all kids the same. Everyone is different and will have different personalities which governs where they stand. This then builds their personalities ready for when they reach adulthood.

If you try to intervene with this (ie kids rejected, others not popular) then these personalities and standings in society will be destroyed, leaving a generation of lost souls destroying future society.

In short; school is governed by a social pecking order that cannot be disturbed.
    Can you pos rep me plz, i will if you would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOV3R)
    Can you pos rep me plz, i will if you would.
    :no: I've dished some neg to a **** literally 5 minutes ago... :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    So you're an idiot aswell as a pussy. "It's crushing for an 8 year old" is an assertion, not a hypothetical situation. The situation is not hypothetical because it has supposedly happened to every 8 year old not to get a Valentine card since forever. Except it hasn't. I doubt you know a single 8 year old to be crushed by this because it doesn't happen. Nobody else does. You made it up and tried to pass it off as the truth because at the same time as being an idiot and a pussy you are also a liar. Nice one.

That school and you care. Nobody else does, and certainly not the "whole educational system". Another lie. Just piss off you ******.
    You know that as soon as you start flaming, you lose all credibility and people just think that you are a whiney little attention seeker right?

ReputationRep:
    You edited your earlier post just to call me a ******?

Really?

And there is no hyperbole. By setting the national curriculum and having standardised testing, the educational system have expressed the way they disagree with your statement that primary school is purely prep for later learning.
    You really are incredibly dense. First, I edited my post to respond to the former half of yours, and the fact that you are a ****** was salient in my analysis. Second, you are in no position to tell me whether I was exaggerating or not. Third, the standardised tests do not go on your CV (well they don't go on mine, I suppose they might be the best you can put on yours), they are meant as a mechanism for preparing for later learning. And there has always been significant opposition to the idea within the system anyway so to suggest a consensus is yet another lie on your part.

Maybe my "flaming" destroys my credibility, but that's OK because your stupidity and penchant for lying destroyed yours so I'm still doing OK in the little debate.

ReputationRep:
    You know that as soon as you start flaming, you lose all credibility and people just think that you are a whiney little attention seeker right?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You really are incredibly dense. First, I edited my post to respond to the former half of yours, and the fact that you are a ****** was salient in my analysis. Second, you are in no position to tell me whether I was exaggerating or not. Third, the standardised tests do not go on your CV (well they don't go on mine, I suppose they might be the best you can put on yours), they are meant as a mechanism for preparing for later learning. And there has always been significant opposition to the idea within the system anyway so to suggest a consensus is yet another lie on your part.

Maybe my "flaming" destroys my credibility, but that's OK because your stupidity and penchant for lying destroyed yours so I'm still doing OK in the little debate.
    :facepalm: I don't believe it. How "OK" you're doing remains to be seen.

I'll start with the obvious fail. It was you who accused me of exaddurating with "the whole educational system". I never accused you of exaddurating so im not sure where your idiotic "Second, you are in no position to tell me whether I was exaggerating or not" comment comes from...

I suppose the reason your SATs were omitted was because you didn't pass?

I'm not suggesting a consensus. I am highlighting the established system. The educational system. It is unified and is standardised across the nation. This is why you fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOV3R)
    Thank you
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    wtf...do primary school children even 'do' valentine's day in the first place? The closest thing to romance we ever had was kiss-chase and two really odd kids who held hands and were 'going out'.
    i was going out with someone - but holding hands?? EEWWWW and i always denied being her girlfriend on Tuesdays and Wednesdays... oh and when it rained

ReputationRep:
    OP u knoe how i knoe ur ugly?

(In b4 nerdy spouting of "OMFG Ad hominemzzz")

:facepalm: I don't believe it. How "OK" you're doing remains to be seen.

I'll start with the obvious fail. It was you who accused me of exaddurating with "the whole educational system". I never accused you of exaddurating so im not sure where your idiotic "Second, you are in no position to tell me whether I was exaggerating or not" comment comes from...

I suppose the reason your SATs were omitted was because you didn't pass?

I'm not suggesting a consensus. I am highlighting the established system. The educational system. It is unified and is standardised across the nation. This is why you fail.
    You put your SATs on your CV?

Good ******* lord.

ReputationRep:
    In my primary school it was more awkward getting one than not getting one, guess what I got every year

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.