Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I received a letter from Sheffield dated 27th Jan 2010, saying i had a conditional offer to do English aslong as i got 280 UCAS points.

In the letter it gave me a username and password to login to a student website thing. I booked an invitation day for the 27th March which i'm guessing is for students who got offers, and also sent off my application for housing.

2 weeks later, the offer hadn't been updated on my UCAS. I rang up on the 8th Feb and the guy who was very rude, said "It was a mistake, your still being considered"

I know that your not supposed to go "all my friends blah blah" but literally everyone i know has heard from Sheffield Hallam, most of them rejections.

I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do about this mistake! I have other offers from Birmingham and Manchester, and Unsucsessful from Sheffield University. I've been advised that I can complain, but wouldn't until i know where i stand with the uni.

Also, the admissions guy said that they sent a few letters out in January by mistake, so has anyone had the same experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicEm)
    Also, the admissions guy said that they sent a few letters out in January by mistake, so has anyone had the same experience?
    Could be worse. I believe last year people were told they had a place, then the next day told they don't.

I'd just wait to hear what they say. You can't really change the mistake now, then decide after their decision if you want to complain or not. Although honestly I don't think it will do much.

ReputationRep:
    It may not be that helpful for this particular question but you cant go too far wrong by going to manchester university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Murray Hewitt)
    It may not be that helpful for this particular question but you cant go too far wrong by going to manchester university.
    Yeah, but I'd like to know. Yano, being messed around, kinda makes me feel naff! lol =] but thanks

ReputationRep:
    I received a letter from Sheffield dated 27th Jan 2010, saying i had a conditional offer to do English aslong as i got 280 UCAS points.

In the letter it gave me a username and password to login to a student website thing. I booked an invitation day for the 27th March which i'm guessing is for students who got offers, and also sent off my application for housing.

2 weeks later, the offer hadn't been updated on my UCAS. I rang up on the 8th Feb and the guy who was very rude, said "It was a mistake, your still being considered"

I know that your not supposed to go "all my friends blah blah" but literally everyone i know has heard from Sheffield Hallam, most of them rejections.

I'm just wondering if there is anything i can do about this mistake! I have other offers from Birmingham and Manchester, and Unsucsessful from Sheffield University. I've been advised that I can complain, but wouldn't until i know where i stand with the uni.

Well would Sheffied Hallam be a firm or insurance choice? Because let's face it Birmingham and Manchester are waaay better Universities than Sheffield Hallam!

I think that you should stay quiet about it and then if you get rejected ring up and complain then. You don't want to hinder your chances by appearing to be annoying and whiny etc. (not saying you are, but with the government education cuts I wouldn't risk appearing like that to be honest, less places means that they'll probably find any excuse not to accept someone unless they're a really good candidate).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    Well would Sheffied Hallam be a firm or insurance choice? .
    I know my other offers are seen as better, but for personal reasons I don't want to be too far away from home, so sheff would probs be my insurance, possibly firm, depending on how the other offers go. I know i must sound stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I know i must sound stupid.
    Not at all. It's much better to pick the university that's right for you.

ReputationRep:
    That's terrible :lolwut:
    I wouldn't want to go to a uni so inept and disorganised after that.

ReputationRep:
    Send them an official government letter telling them that the demolition of their buildings is imminent, then send another a couple of days later, 'oops wrong person!'

ReputationRep:

Ring back again, and this time ask to speak to the person in charge of the Admissions Team. The response you got last time is not acceptable, because if they have made a mistake the least they can do is apologise - in writing - and make a proper decision on your application quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all ur help. =] Such a nice forum xD

ReputationRep:
    My friend applying for S.H has been subjected to some very rude admissions staff also. They sound like a pretty shoddy excuse for an institution in my opinion - Do not take their prospectives seriously or treat them with any deal of respect.

They originally rejected this person I knew as they provided "too much" information about their work experience and academics. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Maaaaaaaaaaaanchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salparadise)
    Hallam is the pits. Don't go! Especially after this debacle. if you've a manc offer it's perhaps a better uni experience-certainly in terms of organisation- and [B]much[B] better job prospects.
    Hallam is notoriously bad for communicating things to students. My flatmates moan about the quality of Hallam teaching and information on a daily basis.

But I'm biased, at University of Sheffield I guess :P

ReputationRep:
    I rang them up. They didn't seem much helpful than before. But the admissions tutor wasn't avalible!
    They guy was apologetic so thats one thing at least!?
    Meh. Just got to sit tight and wait now i guess. I think i will complain if i don't get in though. Uni's don't like bad press

ReputationRep:
    I rang them up. They didn't seem much helpful than before. But the admissions tutor wasn't avalible!
    They guy was apologetic so thats one thing at least!?
    Meh. Just got to sit tight and wait now i guess. I think i will complain if i don't get in though. Uni's don't like bad press
    Perhaps not, but it sounds like a convenient alibi to me. Either way the person you spoke to could have asked him/her to call you back. Don't take 'no' for an answer if you need to ring them again -

ReputationRep:
    My worst nightmare...

but like others say, it does show lack of organisation from the university. Re-consider? As you said, you've got offers from Manc/Bham which are great universities! Why not go for them?!

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.