Turn on thread page Beta

Well...
    I'm a 22 year-old guy, in my 3rd year at uni. And right now, I'm pretty damn lonely. My problem is I find it hard to talk with people. I am visually and hearing impaired, technically registered deaf/blind.... that does not mean I cannot see or hear, just that it is low. So, yeah, communication can be quite difficult. But not impossible.

At the moment I have one good friend. The people that I called my friends back in school... well, they just couldn't be bothered.
    Relationships haven't proved much different. As I find it difficult to meet people, and make a good first impression, face-to-face; I though I'd try online.
    That turned out to be a waste of time, to say the least. I would meet people online, talk with them, they'd think I was cool and funny, after a while we'd meet up, they'd think I wasn't so cool, they'd leave, and rarely or ever talk again. One girl I talked with for over a year online actually went so far as to walk out on me, delete and block my MSN, phone number, Myspace, whatever, within 10 minutes of meeting me. That's the same girl who would constantly spend hours talking to me online, telling me how funny and nice I was, making jokes, planning what we could do and where we could go.... So the good first impression didn't really matter, did it?

So, are people really so shallow? Just can't be arsed with a little extra effort? Anyone out there in/been in a similar situation? Before anyone asks, all the people I met up with were well aware of my problems a while before we met, and of course it "didn't matter" or "doesn't change anything"... Pfft.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.