Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi guys,

Doing my masters in London starting October. Need a place to live in London.

Need some recommendations on cheap, nice locations in and around greater London (with Tube access) suitable for students.

Budget of around £500 if I'm living by myself to around £1000 if I'm living with my girlfriend (which is a possibility, she's going to uni in London too) single bedroom is fine.

Cheers,
    Ritchie

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in Harrow, never got stabbed. Harrow on the Hill and actually on the hill is lovely but probably expensive. In Angel now which has great bus links and it really trendy.

(Original post by ijustlovetolearn)
    I grew up in Harrow, never got stabbed.
    You jumped straight to what I wanted to know!
    Cheers for your input.

I grew up in Harrow, never got stabbed. Harrow on the Hill and actually on the hill is lovely but probably expensive. In Angel now which has great bus links and it really trendy.
    sorry to hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    sorry to hear
    Ha why?

ReputationRep:
    North, South, East, West? Ealing's quite nice and certain neighbourhoods can be pretty reasonably priced.

ReputationRep:
    oh my god don't come to wembley/alperton its like flippin fresh-off-the-boat land, even though its bare safe cos the freshies dont know what stabbing or mugging is, they just build house

kingsburys well nicer and theres kingsbury tube station too, it should be cheaper as well cos its not central central london you get me

umm north is nice, like finchley but it might be a bit more pricier cos its a buff area

Ha why?
    lol was that Ha intended to be just one ha like the postcode??

oh nothing wrong with most of harrow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    lol was that Ha intended to be just one ha like the postcode??

oh nothing wrong with most of harrow...
    'Ha' Well I was educated on 'the hill' so just descended into the multicultural slums for food

'Ha' Well I was educated on 'the hill' so just descended into the multicultural slums for food
    well la de da miss posh! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Avoid the suburbs. Avoid the suburbs. Avoid the suburbs. Avoid the suburbs. etc

ReputationRep:
    Ealing, Richmond, Kentish Town, Willesden.

ReputationRep:
    Richmond is expensive, you will get stabbed in willesden, shepherd's bush is cheap and relatively nice, you might get a place in hammersmith/kensington for that amount (certain parts of kensington are very pricey, but west ken is quite cheap!) kings cross has got a good student population, as does camden and chalk farm road etc. old st and shoreditch are reeallly good, great nightlife and can be cheap! get on gumtree.com and just look around at what you can afford.. it's generally best to be north of the river, check access to tubes and buses - if you're within walkin distance to a tube station you'll generally be alright! what uni are you going to?

(Original post by shinyhappyharriet)
    Richmond is expensive, you will get stabbed in willesden, shepherd's bush is cheap and relatively nice, you might get a place in hammersmith/kensington for that amount (certain parts of kensington are very pricey, but west ken is quite cheap!) kings cross has got a good student population, as does camden and chalk farm road etc. old st and shoreditch are reeallly good, great nightlife and can be cheap! get on gumtree.com and just look around at what you can afford.. it's generally best to be north of the river, check access to tubes and buses - if you're within walkin distance to a tube station you'll generally be alright! what uni are you going to?
    I'm going to Imperial, so need to get to south Kensington easily + not too much of a journey.

ReputationRep:
    In that case hammersmith, shep bush and west ken would be good. south ken is district and circle lines if i'm not mistaken, so anything within 6 or 7 stations on those lines would be fine. i believe you can also take buses from all those places but haven't been in london for a while i live in paris now so may well be wrong! check www.tfl.gov.uk for journey planning

(Original post by shinyhappyharriet)
    In that case hammersmith, shep bush and west ken would be good. south ken is district and circle lines if i'm not mistaken, so anything within 6 or 7 stations on those lines would be fine. i believe you can also take buses from all those places but haven't been in london for a while i live in paris now so may well be wrong! check www.tfl.gov.uk for journey planning
    You're very right; District and Circle
    I've always seen all of Kensington expensive, but I'll keep looking.
    Hammersmith I've been looking at too.

Thank for your input

ReputationRep:
    If Hammersmith is too pricey look at surrounding areas, shep bush is good i lived there for a few months, good transport connections

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.