Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel like doing more work isn't helping me at a level anymore... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently in year 12 and studying AS subjects in bio, chem, maths and french. I'm finding the subjects very difficult and am struggling to really get anywhere with them. I keep feeling like the more work I try and do, the more I get stressed, confused and like I can't get anywhere. I told myself I would try and pick up the pace since Dec/Jan but I'm not improving. My gcses were good (8 A*s 2 As) but I feel like I have less control over my progess now than before. I thought I had revised enough for biology but the exam questions are so different to the textbook and really need interpreting I'm feeling hopefless.
    I've given up the medicine dream and am now just thinking about whether it's worth bothering anymore. My mock grades were CDDD (the C was in french but we were told the exam topics beforehand). Teachers are constantly saying "It's not gcses anymore, you actually have to work" but because I actually tried for gcses I feel I've reached my limit now. I've been put on a "cause for concern" list at college (for dramatically underperformingcompared to gcses). I want to have a talk with my form teacher about where to go from now, but I know I would get really emotional and probably embarass myself and cry. I would appreciate any help please.
    *Sighs* - why is there no anonymous option unless you're in H&R?

ReputationRep:
    just wait till a2. i got aaaa at as and am currently losing my mind at a2. so much harder its just untrue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altibzz)
    just wait till a2. i got aaaa at as and am currently losing my mind at a2. so much harder its just untrue.
    ...thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow-Dream)
    ...thanks
    yeah no problem. a2 bio is silly its so hard.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried speaking to your subject tutors and asking for help with how you might improve? And looking to the specifications for your subjects to find out exactly what you need to know? The step from GCSE to AS is a huge one, and it's not easy. But unless you speak to someone about it, you're either going to drive yourself to a nervous breakdown through overworking yourself and feeling like you're going nowhere, or giving up and being disappointed in August. I'm sure, if you speak to your tutors for each subject, they can advise you on things you can do, or spend some time going through it with you to make sure you understand it. Or you could see your form tutor about it, I'm sure you wont be the first person to have gone to them feeling overwhelmed, and you certainly wont be the last. But struggling with it on your own will just make it even harder. I hope things get sorted out for you, I felt like this, at this time last year too.

And in response to the above comment about A2, yes A2 is once more a step up from AS, but you will have gained skills through your AS which you don't have now, and also you will (probably) only have three subjects rather than four so you will have that much more time to devote to understanding the three you keep on.

Good luck with it all (:

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean by Biology. It's ridiculous.

Doesn't matter whether you worked for your GCSE's or not. It's the set of mind you're in which determines whether you succeed in A-levels. In January for AS, most students are likely to be nerve wracked by the up coming exams because of the obviously large change from GCSEs. You probably failed to hit your targets due to over stressing and feeling the exams are much harder than they actually are.

One of the key things to understand is, failure in Janauary or failure in mocks can easily be fixed with success in May/June. As long as you're prepared to put yourself in the set of mind where reading an entire textbook and making mind numbing notes for hours on end (with VERY IMPORTANT BREAKS) becomes part of your daily routine.

There's never a limit. You need experience and you can keep on improving. Don't put a mental block on yourself.

With maths don't worry much. But take this half term to review and understand C1 properly which if you're working (and THINKING) at the expected pace should only take 3 days and do a few past papers. Then concentrate on the upcoming modules after you've built that base in maths.

It's nothing to get emotional about. I didn't hit my expectations in any of my mocks this year and it's my second year. I got UUE... but after that failure I worked and worked and worked and essentially know everything now. You will get stressed out it can't be avoided if you're aiming for the higher grades but you have to find a way of managing that. Be aware of it, do some exercise it's really helpful.

Don't fear major failure is inevitable just make sure you give it everything to ensure it doesn't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is easier said than done, but really try not to worry. I expect everyone is going to or is already experiencing something similar to you, so you're not alone. I was in the same boat last year, where I felt no matter how much work, revision, past papers etc I did, I got no where. I too wanted to go into the medical field, and still do...and not achieving AAAA should not stop or prevent you reaching your goal. Remember, they're other ways around getting into medicine...applying as a graduate for example. But please, don't think this is an easier route; actually being the complete opposite.

My only advice is to stick through it. Try other methods of revision and ask for any help; teachers are there for a reason. Biology is an annoying subject where you feel you have understood the material and then you're put in front of a exam and you're like HUH?! aha, but you'll get there
    FYI I was predicted CCCD and came out with AAAB; showed them *****es wrong aha
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nextmove)
    I know what you mean by Biology. It's ridiculous.

Doesn't matter whether you worked for your GCSE's or not. It's the set of mind you're in which determines whether you succeed in A-levels...
    cringe im sure its 'state of mind' brah.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but this is interesting from a psychology point of view, see because chronic stress is linked to a sense of lack of control as is what you've stated. (watch out for catching an illness.

Anyway. Honestly no gurantees here but here is what I'D do being what I consider a level headed - currently relaxed person:

Write down all the problems, issues excetra on a big a3 or a4 peice of paper. Go nuts with a marker pen. Everything which is on your mind and spew it onto the page.

Highlight the priorities in a pink highligter (smiley face ) The whole idea of this is to release burden and direct your attention.

The problem is, when your under stress or concern you find doing work very difficult and its a vicous cycle because the work just continues to build. Am I right? Especially in subjects like Biology which is labeled the most difficult A level.

This also means your in control, YOU can now decide where your directing your attention and just focus on what you need to do for each subject. Biology, you didnt revise enough yet you felt you had, where did you go wrong? how can you improve excetra. Speaking to teachers.

Most importantly, See these issues, not as problems but as challenges. You have two years, you can either crash and burn or you can land, if you happen to land in your medical career then your at the airport but anything else is better than nothing.

You probably no that to overcome problems is to deal with them and its just about staying committed ultimately.

Hope this helped! lol hell its better than just ignoring this thread I guess...

ReputationRep:
    cringe im sure its 'state of mind' brah.
    Is it really that much of an issue that someone would fail to understand what I meant?

ReputationRep:
    revise with past papers. you just need to get used to a different style of question and get better exam technique.

and for maths and chemistry they literally just reuse questions from past years. so do enough past papers and you'll sail through the exam.

i suffer from a chronic case of CBA this year
    AS was better
    GCSE was even better

ReputationRep:
    yeah no problem. a2 bio is silly its so hard.
    rofl! $hit, kiddo, it's a ******* joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    revise with past papers. you just need to get used to a different style of question and get better exam technique.

and for maths and chemistry they literally just reuse questions from past years. so do enough past papers and you'll sail through the exam.
    Thanks. I think I'm getting to grips with chemistry and maths a little more, as I noticed the past papers are very similar to the real thing. However biology I am just confused with. We have one past paper to work with, and the previous spec's past papers are completely different and nothing like the ones on the current spec. Textbook for AQA is useless anyway, and if the A2 exam was worse than ours (which it must have been due to the number of complaints from it) then I am pretty much screwed. Regret picking french too...
    Sorry for the rant. :o: I'm just upset and frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I think I'm getting to grips with chemistry and maths a little more, as I noticed the past papers are very similar to the real thing. However biology I am just confused with. We have one past paper to work with, and the previous spec's past papers are completely different and nothing like the ones on the current spec. Textbook for AQA is useless anyway, and if the A2 exam was worse than ours (which it must have been due to the number of complaints from it) then I am pretty much screwed. Regret picking french too...
    surely the old spec still covers alot of the same stuff, or at least will have some questions on it that are relevant.
    the way to get good grades at a'level is to literally do every single past paper you can lay your hands on. even if you have to resort to different boards to get a decent amount of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    surely the old spec still covers alot of the same stuff, or at least will have some questions on it that are relevant.
    the way to get good grades at a'level is to literally do every single past paper you can lay your hands on. even if you have to resort to different boards to get a decent amount of them.
    I think I'm just being a bit pessimistic. I will try OCR and Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    Go and see your year tutor, they are there to help. And if you cry, well it's natural when we feel worried about something and they will be very sympathetic I'm sure.

They are probably baffled why your performance has slipped so go and see them and see what you can do. They might make a performance plan or somethingg.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    You need to do past papers to get used to the questions, eventually it just clicks.

Try different ways of revising - flashcards, mindmaps/spider diagrams, silly rhymes, home made podcasts, posters. It may just be that the way you're trying to revise doesn't suit your way of learning. I tried to continue my GCSE way of revising to AS and it just didn't work. Then I found out that spider diagrams really worked for me.

For French, get a good grammar workbook with loads of questions and just keep at it, eventually it click. Also, maybe try learning say 10 words a day, and your vocab will soon be up to scratch. I like to use Quizlet to learn my vocab, but other people prefer to put the words in example sentences.

ReputationRep:
    AQA Biology isn't too bad (I got an A at AS, but don't get me started on the A2 exam!) and the Nelson Thornes textbook is okay, try doing some of the How Science Works questions, as they really help with your understanding (and the answers are in the back!).

I made some AS Biology spider diagrams and put them up here if you want them. You'll have to click through the other revision resources I've put up, but they are there. They're a good way of learning the content once I understand it. They might not work for you, simply because you may not find spider diagrams a good way to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    AQA Biology isn't too bad (I got an A at AS, but don't get me started on the A2 exam!) and the Nelson Thornes textbook is okay, try doing some of the How Science Works questions, as they really help with your understanding (and the answers are in the back!).

I made some AS Biology spider diagrams and put them up here if you want them. You'll have to click through the other revision resources I've put up, but they are there. They're a good way of learning the content once I understand it. They might not work for you, simply because you may not find spider diagrams a good way to learn.
    Thanks for the link. I have a learning review with my form tutor soon, so I'll see how it goes then. I guess I have half term to try and revise some more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.