Turn on thread page Beta

How many & what types of bank accounts do you have? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    How did you manage to open up two student accounts? I opened a student account with Natwest, and i was going to change my current account with Lloyds to a student account, but i was under the impression that they wouldn't allow you to have more than one student account. (I'm not suspicious, i just wondered if they actually took any notice of how many student accounts the person has).
    If you have more than one student account, you're committing fraud. Stick to one :yes: xx

ReputationRep:
    Student current account
    E-ISA
    Student credit card

All with Natwest, who have been good to me so far but I stick within the rules and am careful never to incur charges.
    If they introduce a one year bonus on top of their easy access e-Savings account (currently 1%) then I will get that too. To put the bulk of my money into and then I can just spend from my student account overdraft and top it up when necessary.
    I'm an interest-whore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    Only two of those are cards...
    Fair point, I only glanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    She didn't need a flipping list of how many cards you've got :sr
    @OP
    2 accounts. A student account with NatWest and a Current account with Abbey (because I have a VisaElectron with them, saves money on Ryanair)
    Time to get yourself a Mastercard Prepaid. Electron is no longer free with Ryanair. see Moneysavingexpert.

ReputationRep:
    1. Current Account (Lloyds TSB)
    2. Current Account (Barclays) - main account
    3. eKonto Account (mBank - Poland)
    4. ISA Account (Post Office for now)

ReputationRep:
    HSBC savings
    HSBC current
    Natwest student
    Natwest current (for the house bills)
    Natwest student credit card (that I don't really use)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyb)
    Time to get yourself a Mastercard Prepaid. Electron is no longer free with Ryanair. see Moneysavingexpert.
    **** sake ¬_¬

I've got a Mastercard with NatWest on my student account? Will that work?

ReputationRep:
    natwest > student account < the one i use for everything
    > student credit card < never used
    Post office > savings account
    Santander > bank account (was a youth account that upgraded) < the one i used to use for everything before i started using my natwest one lol
    > basic account
    > ISA <slowely getting empted

x

whoever neg rated this post whhyyy whats there to negative rate about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugaSuga)
    Hi
    I have a student account and a savings account, both with Lloyds tsb.
    I also have a yorkshire bank account... but ive not used that in years.

So i just want to know how many accounts an average student has, or should have...

Also my student account is used for almost everything like shopping, grants, work pay... and im feeling a little stupid about that, so i want to open another, in the next couple of weeks, but i dont know what type or which one. (im reading up on that :p: )
    Hi,
    I've got two, a student account with RBS (which I'd like to close cos they're ****, but the overdraft is handy to have just in case), and a graduate account with LLoyds (much better than RBS).

I'd suggest that if you're want to open a second account, try to open a savings account that allows your access to the funds just in case you get a little tight.

DD a certain amount of money from your current account each week/month and start saving, even about £20 a week will give you about £1040 a year plus interest. That can be rainy day money, holiday money, or even, eventually, the deposit for a house money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    If you have more than one student account, you're committing fraud. Stick to one :yes: xx
    I'm sure thats not true, got any link to back this up?

I was under the impression you are legally entitled to as many student accounts as you like (whilst you're a student), but most student accounts require your loan to paid into them so its normally only possible to have one account.

ReputationRep:
    So you only need three then? Saving, current (which you use for your daily business, shopping, etc?) and a students account? What's the students account?
    I only have 1 card and I hardly ever use it - I just sponge money of my rents :laugh: They don't mind since I hardly buy anything anyway :p: Got a few years before I have to start thinking about Uni yet as well but should start preparing now really.

ReputationRep:
    I've got two. A savings and a day to day one.

ReputationRep:
    At the mo I have my Abbey current account (wage go in, bills come out) an Abbey ISA (my don't touch money for uni) and an account with Nationwide (my money that I can spend in emergencies) Nationwide is rubbish though.
    Do you guys recommend just replacing my current account with a student account? And is the Natwest one the best??

ReputationRep:
    Natwest Adapt current account
    RBS Revolve current account (RBS/Natwest are the same, so what's the point?)
    Alliance and Leicester Premier 21 account
    Abbey current account (they're both Santander anyway, so what's the point?)
    Lloyds TSB under 19s account
    HSBC current account
    Egg savings account
    Capital One credit card
    Lloyds TSB credit card

ReputationRep:
    One that I put my money in sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    I'm sure thats not true, got any link to back this up?

I was under the impression you are legally entitled to as many student accounts as you like (whilst you're a student), but most student accounts require your loan to paid into them so its normally only possible to have one account.
    When you apply to open a student bank account you have to tick a box saying that this is your only student account, and its the one your student loan is paid into. If you lie about this, it's fraud.

The reason you're only allowed one is because of the interest-free overdraft - you can't have more than one massive interest free overdraft and tbh if you have more than one and use them then you're setting yourself up for a lot of debt and charges when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to end up with 2 student accounts with Lloyds cause their system messed up. Still haven't gotten round to sorting that yet =P I'm also planning on opening another 2 in the near future, to start saving pension and travelling money

ReputationRep:
    I have a current account, two savings accounts and a student account.

ReputationRep:
    When you apply to open a student bank account you have to tick a box saying that this is your only student account, and its the one your student loan is paid into. If you lie about this, it's fraud.

The reason you're only allowed one is because of the interest-free overdraft - you can't have more than one massive interest free overdraft and tbh if you have more than one and use them then you're setting yourself up for a lot of debt and charges when you graduate.
    That makes sense, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    So you only need three then? Saving, current (which you use for your daily business, shopping, etc?) and a students account? What's the students account?
    My student account has the overdraft, and I use that for everything - shopping, food and daily stuff. My loan goes into my current account, and I've set up a direct debit from my loan to my student account, so that I get a monthly 'income', of sorts. I've also kept it so that I've always got a bit of money in my current account, I'll always keep between £50 and £100 in the current account as a back-up, should I have money issues.

Although I know it's true about it being your only student account, I hadn't heard before about the student loan being paid into it? Are you absolutely sure about that part, because me and quite a few of my friends all pay our loans into a different account and have never heard anything of it - in fact the people at Natwest know that my loan doesn't go into there, because I told them when I was setting it up?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 25, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.