Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many & what types of bank accounts do you have? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Although I know it's true about it being your only student account, I hadn't heard before about the student loan being paid into it? Are you absolutely sure about that part, because me and quite a few of my friends all pay our loans into a different account and have never heard anything of it - in fact the people at Natwest know that my loan doesn't go into there, because I told them when I was setting it up?
    It says it on most forms, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I have my natwest student (now graduate) account and associated credit card that I've never ever used.

An old Halifax account that I used before getting my student one, and a credit card with that, plus a Web ISA and a regular saver.

A nationwide flex account from when I went to Canada and you could withdraw cash for free abroad, and it's now used as our house account for rent/bills.

And a Natwest credit card which I balance transferred to my halifax card so I'm paying off at 0%.

ReputationRep:
    1 student current account.
    1 savings account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    It says it on most forms, yes.
    Ah, I've just had a look through and the only things I've found regarding the Natwest accounts are:
    You must use your account as your main current account. This means that the account should be used for the purpose of ordinary banking transactions, with at least 1 credit transaction on your account every 3 months and at least 3 debit transactions per month during term time (which can include debit card transactions (point of sale), direct debits and standing orders).
    And
    You must use your account as your main current account and deposit regular amounts by way of local education funding, parental contribution, salary, student loan or other funding, such as sponsorship or bursary.
    ... So as long as you are depositing regular amounts through some means, and you use it as your main account, Natwest haven't specified that your loan absolutely has to go into that account.

I thought it was a little odd that if that were true, the people that I spoke to at Natwest let me sort out my student account knowing that I wasn't going to put my loan into it but was going to have a regular DD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Ah, I've just had a look through and the only things I've found regarding the Natwest accounts are:

And

... So as long as you are depositing regular amounts through some means, and you use it as your main account, Natwest haven't specified that your loan absolutely has to go into that account.

I thought it was a little odd that if that were true, the people that I spoke to at Natwest let me sort out my student account knowing that I wasn't going to put my loan into it but was going to have a regular DD.
    It was on the form when I registered for my student account. Must have changed!

ReputationRep:
    5 currently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    If you have more than one student account, you're committing fraud. Stick to one :yes: xx
    Yeah i wasn't planning on getting another one when i realised that you could only have one. I just wondered how the other person did it and got away with it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    Yeah i wasn't planning on getting another one when i realised that you could only have one. I just wondered how the other person did it and got away with it really.
    It depends on the T&Cs, some student accounts don't stipulate that you must only have one account, only that you must make regular transactions with it

Edit: to answer the OP:

Barclays savings account
    Barclays Current account
    Capital One credit card
    Saffron Waldon and Herts building society savings account

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone
    i guess the type of account im missing is a Current account, so will hopefully open one with Natwest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Hi,
    I've got two, a student account with RBS (which I'd like to close cos they're ****, but the overdraft is handy to have just in case), and a graduate account with LLoyds (much better than RBS).

I'd suggest that if you're want to open a second account, try to open a savings account that allows your access to the funds just in case you get a little tight.

DD a certain amount of money from your current account each week/month and start saving, even about £20 a week will give you about £1040 a year plus interest. That can be rainy day money, holiday money, or even, eventually, the deposit for a house money.
    Thanks.. thats a very good idea:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Natwest current account
    Natwest student account...which i'm still paying back the overdraft after I dropped out of uni
    E savings acccount
    Natwest credit card
    Halifax savings account.....which hasn't been used in years

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds TSB student account
    Lloyds monthly saver (soon to end, will replace with something else!)
    Lloyds Incentive saver (for savings that can't go in the monthly one)

Nationwide flexaccount (just have a cashcard for this, use it for withdrawing money abroad)
    And a Societe Generale one (day-to-day banking for year abroad)

Thats more than enough for me lol.

ReputationRep:
    I have three current accounts, seven saving accounts, one credit card, and four investment accounts. All for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year (start September '10).

First Direct Current Account (Main account)
    First Direct Savings Account
    HSBC Current Account (will change to a student account)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sky_Dream)
    How did you manage to open up two student accounts? I opened a student account with Natwest, and i was going to change my current account with Lloyds to a student account, but i was under the impression that they wouldn't allow you to have more than one student account. (I'm not suspicious, i just wondered if they actually took any notice of how many student accounts the person has).

I dont think they check at all, unless youre massively overdrawn on one account or something. I had a llyods current account and when my results were published i opened a llyods student account. I then went to uni and opened a natwest student account and there were no questions asked, i even got a £500 overdraft limit without making a single payment into my account.

I know friends who've got 3 or four student accounts. Its not that hard to open more than one but i would strongly advice you not to as you can accumulate debts(speaking from experience here).

ReputationRep:
    1 student current account with a credit card- AIB. One regular savings account- AIB
    I had an account with First Active opened when I was 2. They gave me 500 free shares when I was 10 and I got dividends of about £14 (Irish pounds) every few months. Then they were bought out by Bank of Scotland and the shares were given full selling value- I got €3000! Best bank account ever.

ReputationRep:
    I have

Lloyds TSB U19 Account
    Barclays Young Person's Account
    Halifax Cardcash Account
    Nationwide Flex Account
    2 Santander Accounts (young persons account)
    BarclayPlus(No Longer Used)

Barclays eSaver
    Barclays Golden ISA (I have 2)
    Lloyds TSB Savings
    Lloyds TSB eSaver
    Natwest Adapt
    Natwest First Reserve
    Santander Flexible Saver
    Halifax Liquid Gold
    Halifax Monthly Saver
    National Bank of Dominica Wise Start

ReputationRep:
    I have a...

HSBC Student Account
    ING Savings Account
    Santander Current Account
    Santander Savings Account

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.