Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Egypt soccer boss: I'd rather starve than coach Israelis Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Get out of London then.
    I don't claim it as my own though. :erm:

Now, hypocritical little trolls out of the way...
    Hypocritical? Read above ^.

And calling me a troll... good one there bud. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, judging by this thread Xenephobia is apparently awesome as long as its someone in another country and they're not talking about us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Wow, judging by this thread Xenephobia is apparently awesome as long as its someone in another country and they're not talking about us.
    He's an anti-Zionist not an anti-Semite.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing guy. If only the leaders of the Arab nations had the same determination and courage as him then that terrorist state would have been dismantled by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Amazing guy. If only the leaders of the Arab nations had the same determination and courage as him then that terrorist state would have been dismantled by now.
    But they have? Has history walked past you? Leaders of Arab states have had the courage to repeatedly make war on Israel. They just happen to of lost every single won of those wars. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin02)
    Get laid or face the truth !
    Why are you posting these smug comments like you know and own everything. What? You made an interesting thread, now you think you're a badman. Telling me to face the ******* truth and trying to mug me off like you are actually better than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    But they have? Has history walked past you? Leaders of Arab states have had the courage to repeatedly make war on Israel. They just happen to of lost every single won of those wars.
    Yom Kippur, 1963? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin02)
    you must be sleeping. its time to wake up mate.

hints : NWO , Illuminati/Michael Jackson search it !
    I've heard rumors about Israel trying to control the world (I laugh these people off as deluded and crazy) but, did you just imply that Israel are responsible for Michael Jacksons death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    That's such a logical inconsistency, and anyway I never get how someone can hate a whole country. Unless they've personally gunned down your own family, hate is far too strong a word.

Unless you dream of every Israeli/Israeli government official being burnt in a vat of acid or something stupid, you don't hate them.

Edit: Anyway not surprise from a country with the hit number one called 'I Hate Israel' ('Ana bakrah Israel) :rolleyes:

Hate is a tiny bit strong, but I can quite easily see why I can hate a country. In my mind, the country (again, not everyone in it, just a majority presumably) stands for war. I don't want to get into an argument about it - thats how I see it and thats how I will always see it (unless they actually do something major to stop it of course).

The same old cries of 'sports and politics shouldn't mix'.....
    I wonder how many Palestinians are given the right to freely play a game of football?
    Just as the same old moans when people objected to China hosting the Olympics over human rights records,were silenced with the claims that sport should be kept out of the realm of politics. How many Tibetans are given the freedom to freely participate in sport,let alone any other basic freedom?
    Shehata made a bold comment,maybe a bit too explicit,but It's wrong to say sports and poltics don't, and shouldn't ever mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yom Kippur, 1963? :rolleyes:
    The Yom Kippur/Ramadan/October War (1973) was in military terms, a massive defeat for Egypt and the arab states...The Egyptians/Arabs crossed the suez canal and into the Sinai with the element of surprise which was very unexpected...so in that way it could be termed a "victory".

But Israeli forces fought back and penetrated 50'ish odd miles from Cairo and 20'ish from Dimashq. They lost less men and tanks/military power etc.

Major apologies for the pedantry. It hurt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    The same old cries of 'sports and politics shouldn't mix'.....
    I wonder how many Palestinians are given the right to freely play a game of football?
    Just as the same old moans when people objected to China hosting the Olympics over human rights records,were silenced with the claims that sport should be kept out of the realm of politics. How many Tibetans are given the freedom to freely participate in sport,let alone any other basic freedom?
    Shehata made a bold comment,maybe a bit too explicit,but It's wrong to say sports and poltics don't, and shouldn't ever mix.
    I'm pretty sure football isn't illegal in Tibet. And I'm pretty sure Tibetans aren't kept in cages. Apart from freedom of religious belief, what other basic freedoms are the Tibetans missing? I'm not a great fan of the Chinese government, but at least get your rhetoric right!

As for mixing sports with politics, fair play for the Egyptians. It's an Israeli national team, so there's really no way that they can't be construed as a national symbol and therefore representing the (pride and glory of) country as a whole. I can see why supporting something like that might be abhorrant for a particular viewpoint. I don't think many Americans would have coached a Soviet football team during the Cold War.

(Original post by SunderX)
    I'm pretty sure football isn't illegal in Tibet. And I'm pretty sure Tibetans aren't kept in cages. Apart from freedom of religious belief, what other basic freedoms are the Tibetans missing? I'm not a great fan of the Chinese government, but at least get your rhetoric right!
    And football isn't illegal in Palestine either,its just the social and economic implications of the respective states actions in Tibet and Palestine prevent them from having the same opportunities as others,and are denied the same freedoms of the self-righteous people calling for the sacred distinction between sports and politicsd.
    I mean how could a football association operate in the two areas when one is subject to an illegal oppressive occupation,and the other forced into a regimented institutional system of segregation and assimilation?
    Probably the same reasons a successful football team was not created in the Warsaw Ghetto.

ReputationRep:
    Tottally agree with him. Who the **** wants to manage ****** Israel!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds about right then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
    The Yom Kippur/Ramadan/October War (1973) was in military terms, a massive defeat for Egypt and the arab states...The Egyptians/Arabs crossed the suez canal and into the Sinai with the element of surprise which was very unexpected...so in that way it could be termed a "victory".

But Israeli forces fought back and penetrated 50'ish odd miles from Cairo and 20'ish from Dimashq. They lost less men and tanks/military power etc.

Major apologies for the pedantry. It hurt.
    Militarily you are spot on.

However I was talking in terms of ends. Egypt regained control of the Sinai and the myth of Israeli invincibility in the region was quashed, along with a restoration of Arab pride after the six day war - so on balance, peace was brokered but the consequences were greatly favourable to the Egyptians and unfavourable to the zionists who lost their 'undefeatable' persona.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KvBhasgotabigwilly)
    I'm not saying anything about Jews or Arab countries, I'm saying that some kid from Egypt has probably read that statement and started hating Israel because his hero just said he hates Israel too and nobody can honestly say that's a good thing and he has set a good example. I'm not trying to say that Israel are setting a good example to their children either but the message of hate needs to stopped and it needs to start coming from influential people.

Citizens of every one of those countries are taught to hate/dislike Israel from birth. This should not amaze you in any way:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Soccer? :teehee:
    Yer, what are you getting at? If you're trying to take the piss out of him for using an americanised word then you're soft

Soccer is an english word, from the private schools from like 1860 or something shortening the word association

And it is still used regularly in scotland (at least by Celtic/Aberdeen/Morton/Hearts fans) and less so but still significantly in england.

ReputationRep:
    I bet he doesn't mind coaching Egypt, regardless of their treatment of Egyptians Copts. Strange, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    I bet he doesn't mind coaching Egypt, regardless of their treatment of Egyptians Copts. Strange, isn't it?
    Well....h...he is..kin..kinda Egyptian...I think?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.