Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Egypt soccer boss: I'd rather starve than coach Israelis watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Well....h...he is..kin..kinda Egyptian...I think?
    So you should base who you want to work for on a countries politics, unless you're a national of said country, in which case, anything is fine.

ReputationRep:
    God bless the man

ReputationRep:
    if this guy had a tsr account i would rep him

ReputationRep:
    That is great

ReputationRep:
    At least he's honest.

As for people saying he's a prick, what's he done wrong? He didn't say anything racist or discriminatory. He just stated an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really see what the fuss is about. He's saying what everyone in the Arab world thinks, and they probably have reason to think that way. I doubt he wanted to gain anything from saying it. He hasn't actually said anything false either, or made anything up. Who are we, so far removed from the location of all this conflict and suffering that he himself might have witnessed first hand, to judge? Why does it have to turn into melodramatic 'look how evil they are, poor us we're so hard done by' thing?

Also, could you have picked a more biased source?

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting because my aunt briefly was dating an Arab who owned a nightclub in Blackpool of all places and I remember him saying that the pals are basically the pikeys of the Arab world but he used much more racist language than that. Bascially the Arabs hate israel and they want it wiped off the map so they use the pals as kind of a stick to beat the israelis with in the international community. You think they treat the pal refugees well in their own countries.....They regard them as troublemakers.

I tell you something if I had to live in the middleast I would live in Israel like a shot. A democracy, and very liberal especially in places like Tel aviv and loads of very fit girls who know how to shoot.

ReputationRep:
    well, he's being honest. I live in the middle east, and its a fact of life. Egyptians, Jordanians, Qataris all hate israel and jews in general.

At least hes being honest with his oppinion- all other arabs say the same thing. At least he didn't say anything dodgy, like support terrorism or insult israel- that wouldn't be the best thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberone-outkast)
    if this guy had a tsr account i would rep him
    :rofl: You never know, maybe he does have a tsr account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yom Kippur, 1963? :rolleyes:
    A ceasefire was accepted by the warring parties on October 24 with Israeli forces poised just 20 miles from Damascus and 50 miles from Cairo

Are you Arab? You seem to have an Arab way of understanding what constitutes a victory. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Militarily you are spot on.

However I was talking in terms of ends. Egypt regained control of the Sinai and the myth of Israeli invincibility in the region was quashed, along with a restoration of Arab pride after the six day war - so on balance, peace was brokered but the consequences were greatly favourable to the Egyptians and unfavourable to the zionists who lost their 'undefeatable' persona.
    Oh yeah, that's true. That's why I mentioned 'militarily' (and 'victory') because many people have this notion that this is all that matters. The war led to an upheaval in the Israeli hiercarchy and public confidence was shaken. At the end of the day it's all about perceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    A ceasefire was accepted by the warring parties on October 24 with Israeli forces poised just 20 miles from Damascus and 50 miles from Cairo

Are you Arab? You seem to have an Arab way of understanding what constitutes a victory. :lolwut:
    It's all about perceptions, read my post above. Militarily they lost but even the Israeli government and public took it (psychologically) as a defeat. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    But they have? Has history walked past you? Leaders of Arab states have had the courage to repeatedly make war on Israel. They just happen to of lost every single won of those wars. :rolleyes:
    From the point of view of an Egyptian:
    1) I very honestly doubt Shehata would have made these comments, he is not an idiot, he definitely would not risk being reprimanded by the FA and possibly losing his job.
    2) The myth of Israel never losing a war is straight out false, and please don't go quoting some piece of Wikipedia knowledge and acting all superior. It's all about opinions, fact of the matter is, Egypt did end up with getting Sinai back to them and the only reason a ceasefire was actually called was due to the fact that Israel was planning to attack Cairo, a city with CIVILIANS which at that time was big no-no. Had they done so, then all the countries in the UN who signed the particular document that said wars should not include the casualties of civilians would have had to step in.
    A ceasefire wasn't called up in coincidence, get your facts straight.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Redknapp could learn a lot from him!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Egypt recently win the African Nations cup?

(Original post by tom//)
    is he still bitter about israel kicking their arse in a real war?
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    :awesome: That guy sounds pretty cool. I wish everyone was that honest
    Dude :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps he will starve. And die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qaz25)
    You think that's bad... you should see the situation in the cricketing world these days. Politics never seems to be too far away at all.
    lol really? im glad i follow football and not cricket then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    Yer, what are you getting at? If you're trying to take the piss out of him for using an americanised word then you're soft

Soccer is an english word, from the private schools from like 1860 or something shortening the word association

And it is still used regularly in scotland (at least by Celtic/Aberdeen/Morton/Hearts fans) and less so but still significantly in england.
    I just find the word funny :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    So you should base who you want to work for on a countries politics, unless you're a national of said country, in which case, anything is fine.
    No, he is an Egyptian who has seen Israel defeat his country a number of times....he was brought up on the Egyptian education system meaning that he was told Israel are evil. And if he did anymore research into it..he would have found out what Israel did to hate them even more....now you expect him to go and work for a country like that?
    Why are you basing this on some nationalistic thing...he just doesnt like Israel, and most Arabs dont.
    There are people who wont work in China because of human rights or something...that has nothing to do with country politics, its just their decision.
    But kudos to him, he told the truth. At least he has balls.

(Original post by RyanT)

Following their "victory" as you say, the prime minster and defence minister had to resign....there must be a reason why, no?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.