Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Lower self-esteem, but then I'd hopefully try to help them with their issues and build them up to be a functional and happy person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Lower self-esteem, but then I'd hopefully try to help them with their issues and build them up to be a functional and happy person
    Yeah, I've tried that a few times, and it's good if you can make them feel better about themselves.

But sometimes, it really is just impossible... some people need to make the decision for themselves and no matter how hard you try, they will always say to you: "Urgh I'm ugly, I can't do anything, I'm useless" etc. And sometimes, people like that are just doing it for the attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cozmonkey)
    Yeah, I've tried that a few times, and it's good if you can make them feel better about themselves.

But sometimes, it really is just impossible... some people need to make the decision for themselves and no matter how hard you try, they will always say to you: "Urgh I'm ugly, I can't do anything, I'm useless" etc. And sometimes, people like that are just doing it for the attention.
    Awh, my girlfriend has very low self-esteem because her parents are really negative around her. She says she feels really comfortable around me and that I'm the only one that makes her feel really special which is great, but she gets depressed when I'm not around but I'm working on trying to help her through that. It takes a bit of 'who cares?' to get past the stage she's at I guess.

The bit in bold: too true. Most girls are like that tbh (wide generalisation I know). As in, girls say things about their bodies etc. generally fishing for a compliment/some sympathy. Kinda annoying but oh well. Guys do it too ofcourse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Awh, my girlfriend has very low self-esteem because her parents are really negative around her. She says she feels really comfortable around me and that I'm the only one that makes her feel really special which is great, but she gets depressed when I'm not around but I'm working on trying to help her through that. It takes a bit of 'who cares?' to get past the stage she's at I guess.

The bit in bold: too true. Most girls are like that tbh (wide generalisation I know). As in, girls say things about their bodies etc. generally fishing for a compliment/some sympathy. Kinda annoying but oh well. Guys do it too ofcourse.
    Yes definately, there are people like your girlfriend, who genuinely has low-self esteem and needs a bit of support from others.

And then there are the fishers. Some of them probably have low-self esteem/attention issues. But even so, its annoying when they do it aaaaall the time. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go for the confident one, they seem more fun!

Also, from past experience it is really annoying when you're with someone with unjustified low self esteem that it's all they can talk about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cozmonkey)
    Yes definately, there are people like your girlfriend, who genuinely has low-self esteem and needs a bit of support from others.

And then there are the fishers. Some of them probably have low-self esteem/attention issues. But even so, its annoying when they do it aaaaall the time. :mad:
    She'll be okay in time It just takes a little reshaping. I used to have major issues and I guess to a degree, I still do. But then I saw what happened when low self-esteem meets self pity when my sister went a bit downhill and I thought 'what's the point in being counter-productive? If i'm going to be depressed, I may as well achieve something', so I focused on career/work rather than feeling sorry for myself.

It provides a good opportunity for light-flirting I guess if people fish for compliments, as in 'God, I hate my body' - 'No, you're not fat, you're gorgeous', etc. etc. So I guess I can underestand why people do it. I just don't appeciate it that much. It's a gateway. Then again, I'd prefer a girl who had the guts to say 'I like you' for once. (if I was single). :p:

ReputationRep:
    Low self esteem

ReputationRep:
    Girls always love a cocky arragant guy when they meet them in a club aslong as they can back it up. thats why they always put on a front. they probably dnt love themself really

ReputationRep:
    I am awesome. I think people should worship me. And god.

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand arrogance, so it would have to be the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Probably the low self esteem person.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate either option.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.