Turn on thread page Beta

Stomach bug watch

Announcements

Ok, so you know that super fun stomach bug that has been going around... well I have it, in fact I have been having it since Monday, and it won't go away. I have been experiencing alternating bouts of what can only be described as first class projectile vomiting and diarrhoea, both of which have been combined with excruciating abdominal pain, and the fact that every bone in my body feels like they have been bludgeoned with a shovel. I originally took some paracetamol, and it seemed like it was doing the trick, until I started retching again.

I have phoned my doctor, only to be told not to leave my flat, because it is highly contagious, and that there is medicine I can take that won’t make me throw up, the only thing I can do is keep my body dehydrated and rested.

But every time I take a drink of water, I just end up throwing it up again, and I can’t sleep. I literally have not slept in over 71 hours. I am a fundamental atheist and have started praying to whatever fluffy phantom lord is up there to let me sleep. I need sleep, I am physically and emotionally exhausted, I am shaking all over, and yet I can’t sleep. Why can’t I sleep? I need suggestions people. What can I do? Please! Seriously I am begging here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok, so you know that super fun stomach bug that has been going around... well I have it, in fact I have been having it since Monday, and it won't go away. I have been experiencing alternating bouts of what can only be described as first class projectile vomiting and diarrhoea, both of which have been combined with excruciating abdominal pain, and the fact that every bone in my body feels like they have been bludgeoned with a shovel. I originally took some paracetamol, and it seemed like it was doing the trick, until I started retching again.

I have phoned my doctor, only to be told not to leave my flat, because it is highly contagious, and that there is medicine I can take that won’t make me throw up, the only thing I can do is keep my body dehydrated and rested.

But every time I take a drink of water, I just end up throwing it up again, and I can’t sleep. I literally have not slept in over 71 hours. I am a fundamental atheist and have started praying to whatever fluffy phantom lord is up there to let me sleep. I need sleep, I am physically and emotionally exhausted, I am shaking all over, and yet I can’t sleep. Why can’t I sleep? I need suggestions people. What can I do? Please! Seriously I am begging here!
    Yeah loads of people in my school is sick includig teachers and students..

ReputationRep:
    try ginger ale like canada dry? i drink it when im hungover to stop me throwing up, and in america thats what they give their kids when they get sick, ginger seems to settle the stomach

ReputationRep:
    Not what you want to hear, but don't take anything to stop your diarrhoea or sickness. Its your body's way of getting rid of what you have and as unpleasent as it seems, all you can do is keep yourself hydrated and sleep it off. I hear its a 7 day bug so hopefully you'll pick up after the weekend.

If you really need something to settle your stomach, drink hot water with a squeeze if lemon juice. It'll settle your tummy, keep you hydrated and it'll help when you start feeling hungry.

ReputationRep:
    Norovirus :/ worse thing ever, felt like I was dying when I had it and lost lots of weight!

I took imodium for mine and it helped a little (because I was litterally going every 5 minutes) it really drains you and makes you feel like crap! So you have my sympathy!

Its passing around all the hospitals near me and in the care home I work at a resident has just had it so I hope it does not get passed around!

It is highly contagious so make sure you wash your hands or clean anything you touch - or who ever your living with make sure they have a pack of anti-bacterial wipes!

Also with the sleeping - I was the same, I was up all night just crying and going to toilet every 5 mins!!! It will get better just try take your mind off it - watch films etc..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.