Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend from the same uni halls?? watch

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a very petty question/rant but I need some advice as obviously I have never experienced this before!

I'm in my first year and living in halls - and recently I started going out with this guy who's in the same hall but in a separate block to me. The problem is I feel like I'm acting like a REALLY awful girlfriend...
    He's literally a 2min walk away - yet I feel like I don't make an effort to see him enough... but I don't know how much I should be seeing him!! All my past relationships have been a much longer distance so I wouldn't need to see my boyfriend that often as they would understand I'd have to travel to see them - yet the current boyfriend I could easily pop over to see but still don't do it very often for fear of appearing too clingy... if that makes sense... but surely he must get annoyed as it's not like I have to go out of my way?

Also, his corridor friends are really close.. but even before we started going out they never really liked me so it's all a bit awkward. If his friends are around I act REALLY awkward around the boyfriend... like almost to a crazy "I don't know you" point - which is all in the subconscious but I can't help it! his friends intimidate me!! and I know it must look like absolute **** to him.....

lastly... sex... there never seems to be privacy... and because we're always busy with lectures I only feel like I ever experience the physical side of the relationship....
    how can I also build it up emotionally?? because I genuinely feel like a **** girlfriend....

sorry for ranting guys!!! I'm just a bit worried!

ReputationRep:
    Its kind of strange when you dont have the distance thing going on, I think having a distance relationship is more exciting and you have loads to catch up on, you should always leave a bit of space for spontinituty and mystery,

ReputationRep:
    my ex lives in the same building as me, and i'd pop in all the time on the way back from lectures, or sports stuff. sometimes just to say hi, sometimes for a chat. just like i do with other friends (although not quite as much with them)

it never felt clingy at all, we just liked spending time together.

and the more time you spend round his flat the more you'll become used to his mates.
    the way to build it up emotionally is literally to spend more time with him

ReputationRep:
    go out the building and do stuff, cinema, town etc. or just chill in your rooms, ignore his mates they sound losers!!

ReputationRep:
    wow, i can't imagine it being strange not having a distance. i feel it ridiculously hard HAVING the distance. :/

so, i guess i'm not guna be that great since my boyfriend & i spent every day together before he went to uni.. it was kinda always like that, we'd watch films & tv together, have big long chats about anything and everything, go out to eat or order in, he helped me revise for my A-levels (he's not a big reviser!) even now when i see him we do stupid things like play COD (geeeeeks! ) we even read magazines together :/ i think that is the best way to build a relationship, just spend that time together. with the physical stuff, it brings out the emotional side too i think. just find things you have in common, and build on that. don't let his friends get you down. i'm uber paranoid my boyfriends flatmates don't like me, but he makes me feel better, tells me they do & that if they didn't he'd rather spend time with me anyway... he's chosen you as his girlfriend, noone else so he must be worth the effort right!

ReputationRep:
    i've tried to be a better girlfriend in the past few weeks.. and I thought all was getting better - we were definitely becoming closer without everyone else's interjections...
    but i've just been told by 2 people on 2 seperate occassions that I'm a bad girlfriend and that I'm "only going out with him to prove to myself/others something"
    i know I shouldn't care what people think, but this still HURTS!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2010
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.