Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    please help me..i dont know what to do..
    I've been going out with my boyfriend for almost a year now, and in the summer we were perfect..then we both went to uni, I'm in glasgow while he's in liverpool. we only get to see each other every 2 weeks/month and its amazing when we do...but when we dont see each other, i like to talk to him every day obviously, we just argue..all the time, last term i used to just cry about it every night but now i just feel like i cant even though it's horrible.
    At christmas we were back together and everything was good again but now its as bad as at the end of last term already... everytime we have a big fight (about once or twice a week) we seem to come so close to ending it
    But i love him so so much i just dont know what to do, he seems to think he can fix things by just saying he loves me after an argument, and he gets angry if i go back over something to try and sort it out so we're just left with the same problem and it never gets sorted. he seems to never want to talk to me when he's at uni and i know its because he hates talking on the phone but you cant have a long distance relationship if you dont talk..
    i dont know what to do, i'm so scared of losing him i cry everytime i think about it and everytime i think about our fights..sometimes i get so angry at him over things i cant even explain to him and sometimes he just doesnt seem to care
    i just dont know what to do

ReputationRep:
    well for a start what are you fighting about?

ReputationRep:
    literally nothing...its so stupid..we just seem to fight over stupid stupid things, and as much as we say 'i hate fighting lets just not do it' we still do..but he seems to just want to pretend everythings perfect..we'll have an argument but he refuses to ever sort it out, he'll just stop in the middle of the argument and be like 'i'm sick of this, speak to you tomorrow' then everythings expected to be fine while i'm just left going over it in my mind and crying..its so frustrating, and so stupid as well

ReputationRep:
    sounds exactly like my situation nightmare isnt it. theres no real answer to this you just gotta stick it out and eventually things will begin to even out. its so difficult not to argue but everytime you feel yourself going there just say no to yourself, and try and have a calm talk about whats bothering you. if he starts to argue back, stay polite, but maybe just leave it for a while or else you'll end up just winding each other up :/. might it be a good idea to make sure you plan lots of things for when you visit, memorable things etc? then you will have stuff to look forward to/talk about. also remember a HUGE amoutn of relationships dont even make it to the end of the first term at uni, so you're this far and oyu know you love each other . its never gonna be easy but the best thing you can do is keep yourself occupied-go out with friends and have fun yourself. send each other texts to let each other know you are thinking about them. also skype can help a lot . good luck!! and just remember talking is the best thing to sort anything out

ReputationRep:
    wow i have the same thing with my bf - when we do argue, it's not all the time with us - and it gets kinda soul destroying at times. maybe just both agree to wipe the slate clean, and really mean it lol all old arguments are to be forgotten, and when one of u starts a new one and it begins to get out of hand, just leave/hang up/go offline before it escalates. good luck, i know how horrible it is x x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceciafb)
    please help me..i dont know what to do..
    I've been going out with my boyfriend for almost a year now, and in the summer we were perfect..then we both went to uni, I'm in glasgow while he's in liverpool. we only get to see each other every 2 weeks/month and its amazing when we do...but when we dont see each other, i like to talk to him every day obviously, we just argue..all the time, last term i used to just cry about it every night but now i just feel like i cant even though it's horrible.
    At christmas we were back together and everything was good again but now its as bad as at the end of last term already... everytime we have a big fight (about once or twice a week) we seem to come so close to ending it
    But i love him so so much i just dont know what to do, he seems to think he can fix things by just saying he loves me after an argument, and he gets angry if i go back over something to try and sort it out so we're just left with the same problem and it never gets sorted. he seems to never want to talk to me when he's at uni and i know its because he hates talking on the phone but you cant have a long distance relationship if you dont talk..
    i dont know what to do, i'm so scared of losing him i cry everytime i think about it and everytime i think about our fights..sometimes i get so angry at him over things i cant even explain to him and sometimes he just doesnt seem to care
    i just dont know what to do
    SKYPE SKYPE SKYPE!!! OMG

I used to have a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend and my skype was one day and night 24/7. buy a mic and some speakers and watch films together or what ever!

ReputationRep:
    This is also like my situation. My boyfriend and I have been together for 13 months and in september he moved to uni 300 miles away. The longest we've been apart since he's been gone is 2 weeks and ive started to be able to deal with him being away better than i first coped. But when we're together its fantastic; he gives me so much love and attention & affection, But when he's away its different, even though he tells me he loves me everyday and is always still affectionate to me over the phone; calling me our 'pet names' for each other but we argue quite alot when hes away. We both have jealously in us; him more so than me and that can cause problems but we just generally argue more when hes away about stupid little things that you look back on and cant remember what it was you even argued about!

Sometimes i do wonder if its because of the distance between us, makes us both sad & unhappy which causes both of us to have a shorter fuse so its easier to cause tension and often we've argued if he's been stressed with uni work and takes it out on me, but decides to tell me this after we've fallen out instead of before so i think he's arguing me for a reason i dont even think is a reason to argue.

At the end of the day though, if you can make this relationship work over long distance i think it shows that you have a strong base and have a pretty good chance of been with each other for a while. If you love him enough to make it work the stick with it, and if you are arguing remember all the brilliant times youve had together when hes back and start to look forward to when you see him next. I'm going down to where my boyfriend is this thursday coming and i cannot wait!

Also instead of just using the phone to communicate, why not try other means too. Ones we have tried are; texts, e-mail, phone, skype (good because you can actually see them whih helped me ALOT when i got it) and also its always nice to get a good old fashioned letter through the post, which we often do. You could try this.

I hope it all works out for you. If you think its worth it, stick with him. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry, when i said phone i meant skype by the way!

ReputationRep:
    Such a common situation: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.
    Even so, you two are obviously too different from each other. Try to understand that being in love with someone isn't always a guarantee of compatibility and however much you wish they would change for the better, that's never ever going to happen. It is what it is. You need someone who's ready to meet your needs and this guy just isn't it. Believe me there are plenty of guys out there who would be steadier and much more solicitous - if that's what you really want.

Distance relationships between college students rarely last anyway - there's too much temptation on both sides to "play away" for one thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pink_princess1990)
    I didn't bother reading your post, but congratulations on your university applications, they're good choices at some great universities and I wish you the best of luck

- a fellow economist(ish)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I didn't bother reading your post, but congratulations on your university applications, they're good choices at some great universities and I wish you the best of luck

- a fellow economist(ish)
    Aww thank you best of look to you too. And for your niceness you can have +rep.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.