Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about reapplying to Oxford at the moment.
    Course: French and Linguistics
    Got an interview at LMH this year, but got rejected.
    Other offers from Warwick, Southampton, Cardiff and waiting on Durham.
    I know Oxford's competitive but I felt so at home there! Not sure if I should take a gap year just to reapply though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    Cambridge doesn't consider students that are at another University studying the same subject they are applying for.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...herroutes.html
    Sorry but how about oxford? is it same?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying at a uk university (first yr undergraduate) and want to apply for oxford to start new as a first yr undergraduate (similar course)
    I can see that Cambridge doesn't (rarely) allows this but how about Oxford?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by UKgogoshing)
    Sorry but how about oxford? is it same?
    The prospectus doesn't explicitly state anywhere that such applications are unlikely to be successful and generally discouraged, but they certainly don't seem terribly keen on them. The FAQ bit regarding transfers very pointedly goes on to talk about second BAs and visiting students only, even though it's pretty obvious that in most cases the people who ask about transfers are hoping to change to Oxford sooner rather than later and won't necessarily want to wait until they've finished their first degree. I'd take that to mean that they don't even want to encourage people to think that applying while they're enrolled at another university is even an option.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by UKgogoshing)
    I'm currently studying at a uk university (first yr undergraduate) and want to apply for oxford to start new as a first yr undergraduate (similar course)
    I can see that Cambridge doesn't (rarely) allows this but how about Oxford?
    They don't categorically rule it out, but as I said in reply to your other post, I think the fact that they're not even referring to those types of applications anywhere says a lot about how keen they are on them...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.