Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I planning to medicine , after taking a gap year. what can I do?
    Is there Any place abroad I can volunteer without any money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    Check up platform two, they pay for the stuff and you go abroad to places like Nepal and Africa, it's for like 2 months or something so... yeah lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Check up platform two, they pay for the stuff and you go abroad to places like Nepal and Africa, it's for like 2 months or something so... yeah lol
    the thing is am not a uk citizen
    is there any other?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get a full time job for a few months and save like crazy, there's a few companies where you just have to pay for flights and then I think they'll provide you with accommodation etc.
    If you get a relevant job, such as a healthcare assistant, you'll have even more experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butter.bean)
    Why don't you get a full time job for a few months and save like crazy, there's a few companies where you just have to pay for flights and then I think they'll provide you with accommodation etc.
    If you get a relevant job, such as a healthcare assistant, you'll have even more experience.
    do you know of any?

ReputationRep:
    Job in caring - my cousin did it after getting rejected and got 3 offers year after
    also have some fun go off on a gap year trip
    check out real gap or just google gap years something will come up
    good luck! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Lloyd's pharmacy ;P

ReputationRep:
    You could always go out to places in alot of need like with the recent Hatai thing, and volunteer to help. Its a great way to help, but you dont get any money out of it :|

ReputationRep:
    do you know of any?
    'Projects abroad' is the only one I can think of from the top of my head, but if you googled 'gap year' I'm sure many more will come up!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Gap_Years

ReputationRep:
    original volunteers is very cheap. £38 per week to volunteer in Ghana. £47 per week to volunteer in Mexico/ Costa Rica and others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haaan)
    original volunteers is very cheap. £38 per week to volunteer in Ghana. £47 per week to volunteer in Mexico/ Costa Rica and others.
    for me it would be expensive since am from sri lanka
    and that is 47X200 for me per week!!

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of different organisations you can go away with. It depends if you want to just travel and backpack around or do volunteer work. if you want to do volunteer work then generally you have to pay to do so, because the organisation needs to source the projects and stuff like that. If you want to go with a company that does genuinly sustainable, worthwhile and needed projects, not taking work away from local people, it may cost more but you will probably have a more worthwhile and beneficial experience, and you can be sure that you're not actually having a detrimental effect on the community or environment you're volunteering in. Raleigh offers projects like these - http://www.raleighinternational.org/...17-24/gap-year - they offer advice on fundraising if you can't earn enough for the trip yourself, but like I said, it will generally cost more than just backpacking around for 3 months instead of volunteering Although the volunteering abroad stuff will look good on your CV in future...

ReputationRep:
    Also, I think it's better to plan these kind of trips from home before - just turning up in a disaster zone could end up with you being more of a hinderance than a help, if you're thinking of doing this you should probably check it out with an organisation like the Red Cross first and see what they advise on this type of thing

ReputationRep:
    my bad

ReputationRep:
    does anyelse has any other idea?

ReputationRep:
    Help!!!!!!!!!!11

ReputationRep:
    End of the month I'm moving to China for 6 months - Teaching Intern with primary school kids in Beijing - Cost me £800 + flights. You can do plenty of fund raising for things like this, say your doing unpaid charity work teaching kids in rural areas.

Secondly, a mate of mine is doing something similar in Tanzania in Africa - Well worth a thought if you want to do something really out of the ordinary.

Doesn't have to be too costly as most of these places are INCREDIBLY cheap to live in.

If I was you, I'd make sure you did something as you will no doubt regret not going - Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    for me it would be expensive since am from sri lanka
    and that is 47X200 for me per week!!
    Why dont you just help those underprevileged ones in your nation?(Especially those who live in the rural areas)

ReputationRep:
    Help!!!!!!!!!!11
    Working as a health care assistant in a hospital is always the most rewarding (both emotionally and financially) way.

Also you can ask for further traiing to become thrombostistisistis (blah.. :P)

and other further training will help you SO MUCH to gain an in depth knowledge about NHS and clinical environment.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.