Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I am applying for the PGCE (primary). I am trying to figure out who to ask for a reference. I graduated from university in 2007 and two of my lecturers agreed to give me a reference at the time but they barely knew me then, let alone now!
    One of them was my thesis supervisor so she would know me slightly better than the other lecturer. But still, shouldn't the reference come from someone who knows me well enough to do it? Or will most lecturers just write "x is great etc etc etc".
    I am considering contacting some of my old secondary school teachers and asking them- is that allowed or does it have to be a university lecturer/tutor? I was very fond of some of them. Alternatively I could ask my last employer but that was an office job so maybe it wouldn't be seen as being relevant enough?
    One more question! (sorry).
    I haven't got any work experience yet but my dad is a special needs teacher. If I did my work experience in his school would it be OK for an application (and hopefully reference) for the regular primary (non-special needs) course?

ReputationRep:
    Are you applying for this year? As the deadline was in December and very few uni's have places left! However, if you are applying for 2011 entry then:

I think GTTR state that if you left uni 3 years previously to applying you have to use a university tutor but after that you can use someone else, so preferably a teacher you know through work/volunteering in a school! I would not use your secondary school teachers, as it would be considered that they do not know you anymore as you left school at 16 and must be in your mid twenties now! I suspect this would go against your application! Personally, if you have agreement from your university tutors then I would use them, send them your CV with a covering letter detailing anything youve done that you think would be useful for teaching that isnt on your CV and they should write you a good reference! I dont really now my tutor who did my reference, and ive been accepted onto a course so clearly they work ok!

Experience wise, experience at the special needs school would look really good on an application however you do really need experience in a state primary as well, I wouldnt rely on the just the special needs school. Its usually not that difficult to get experience in a primary school, just write, ring or email all the schools in your local area and ask if you can come in one day a week or if you have some time off work, perhaps those days! Bear in mind people are applying with years of experience and you need to shine among them! I had 2 years worth of experience in an infant school (1 morning a week) and 1 year in a nursery (various times during the year as it was my mums nursery so i just went in whenever!) before i applied ... and yet i was worrying as people at my interview had so much more experience than me as teaching assistants! That in mind, you dont have to have that much experience to be offered a place, but its definitely wise to get as much as possible!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hello Lucky Leaf,
    (sorry for this long reply but I hope it is not confusing )

I've applied for the PGCE Primary and am waiting for an interview date.
    I graduated in 2008 and I used my University lecturer (who was also my study abroad advisor). When she did my reference I also gave her a copy of my CV to look at. The reference also asks if you are capable at studying at post graduate level and your lecturer (thesis supervisor) is best to answer this. :yes:

I don't think a secondary school teacher is allowed as it would be like 9 years "old" ? but check with gttr as I may be wrong. :confused:
    I agree with you that your employer may not be relevant enough but it depends. If at work you mentored someone or trained them (a skill transferable to teaching) then it may be appropriate but otherwise I'd stick with the University and give them your CV.

Did you do anything non-academic at university like mentoring, social clubs because that will look good in your reference.

With regards to special needs (I am 90%) sure that this will not count to your overall experience but will be good for you to understand/talk about in your interview the different teaching/learning methods, behaviour management ect.
    The PGCE courses I applied to specified that they wanted 5-10 days observation in a mainstream school.
    Some you don't need experience to apply (LSBU) but they require you do the observation in a mainstream school before the interview or before you start studying.
    As your Dad is a teacher there, if I were you I would volunteer there (hopefully it can be sorted asap) AND at a mainstream school. Spending time in a special needs school won't hurt your application but it's your decision to decide what is best for you

The best thing is to research the various PGCE requirements and then go from there.

Hope that helps
    Good luck
    x
    PS. lol at the lady gaga lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys,
    I was in Canada for all of 2009 so that is why I am applying so late.
    I am going to get onto the local schools and see if I can get as much observation as possible in the next couple of weeks (I want to get my application in ASAP).

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with applying! I would be prepared for disappointment in the sense you are so late though, check which unis still have places as GTTR will allow you to send your application to a uni thats full... and you'l be rejected the next day (a friend of mine was in that situ! and annoyed at wasting a choice on a full up uni!)! I dont mean to be negative but applying over 2 months after the deadline and with no experience, or very little, is going to put you up against it! I know my uni was full by christmas and a lot of the remaining unis are currently doing interviews for their remaining places! Id apply now saying you are going to be doing experience for the best chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollyy13)
    Good luck with applying! I would be prepared for disappointment in the sense you are so late though, check which unis still have places as GTTR will allow you to send your application to a uni thats full... and you'l be rejected the next day (a friend of mine was in that situ! and annoyed at wasting a choice on a full up uni!)! I dont mean to be negative but applying over 2 months after the deadline and with no experience, or very little, is going to put you up against it! I know my uni was full by christmas and a lot of the remaining unis are currently doing interviews for their remaining places! Id apply now saying you are going to be doing experience for the best chance!
    OK so today I sent emails to 5 or 6 schools requesting work experience, hopefully this will be enough to get offered some.
    In the meantime I have emailed two of my old lecturers asking for a reference.
    They agreed to provide them back in 2007 but I emailed them again because they probably don't remember me. I'm hoping they are used to giving references for students they don't remember, surely it must happen a lot given how many students that attend a university lecture.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt a school will take you for experience based on an email. I know all emails in the school i work in get deleted a phone call would be more appropriate and shows more interest than the same email sent to a few people. Are you applying for this year? the deadline for applications was December 1st now providers dont even have to read your application and most places are full now or interviewing for the rest of their places. Mine was full by Christmas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.