Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asylum seekers Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think about asylum seekers?
    Don't care about them
    4.62%
    All should be sent back
    20.00%
    some Should be allowed
    55.38%
    All should be allowed
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about them?

ReputationRep:
    I think they're almost as good as Keith Chegwin.

ReputationRep:
    They should be sent back to their own country. Who cares if they could be persecuted there, thats just bad luck on their part for being born there. We shouldnt have to pick up the cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    They should be sent back to their own country. Who cares if they could be persecuted there, thats just bad luck on their part for being born there. We shouldnt have to pick up the cost.
    Does it mean that you don't care even if hey die there?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Black Knight)
    Does it mean that you don't care even if hey die there?
    Yep. I couldnt care less whether or not they die. As long as they don't come to this country and sponge off our taxes.

ReputationRep:
    If they come, work, integrate into our society and are beneficial = I no problem with them.
    If they come, moan, assert their culture onto ours, use our benefits = I have a problem with them.

ReputationRep:
    That they're asylum seekers? :confused: As a group, that's about all you can say about them. You can't exactly make blanket judgements.

I have a great amount of sympathy for genuine asylum seekers; they have to put up with **** from their own country, only to come to the UK and face hostility. They mostly get put in the worst accomodation (despite what sensationalist stories in the Daily Mail would have you believe, not many asylum seekers live in 7 bedroom million pound houses) and then have to put up with people complaining about them taking up their houses, they're forced to live on benefits to begin with because they're not allowed to work, and then have to put up with people calling them benefit scroungers. :rolleyes:

We have asylum seekers living in a hostel near us though (they stay there when they first arrive and go to language lessons etc) and they all seem like pretty nice guys. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    There are countries nearer to their own where they wouldn't persecuted. I see no need for them at all. They're counterproductive. They come here because it's one of the best countries in the world but ironically drag it down. Send most of them back to a the nearest safe country to their own and stop us taxpayers funding their "better life".

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I couldnt care less whether or not they die. As long as they don't come to this country and sponge off our taxes.

Ever heard of compassion and love thy neighbour? That is pretty harsh, dude. They are human you know. Just because they live in a different country doesnt make them scum of the earth. If you were in their situation or something bad happened to the UK I'm sure you'd want to move too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    That they're asylum seekers? :confused: As a group, that's about all you can say about them. You can't exactly make blanket judgements.

I have a great amount of sympathy for genuine asylum seekers; they have to put up with **** from their own country, only to come to the UK and face hostility. They mostly get put in the worst accomodation (despite what sensationalist stories in the Daily Mail would have you believe, not many asylum seekers live in 7 bedroom million pound houses) and then have to put up with people complaining about them taking up their houses, they're forced to live on benefits to begin with because they're not allowed to work, and then have to put up with people calling them benefit scroungers. :rolleyes:

We have asylum seekers living in a hostel near us though (they stay there when they first arrive and go to language lessons etc) and they all seem like pretty nice guys. :dontknow:
    What if the UK went into civil war or something, do you think their countries would allow us as asylum seekers? No.

ReputationRep:

agree with you

ReputationRep:

Do you ever see a homeless person of an ethnic minority? Rarely.

Yeah they have the worst accomodation, as you put it, but those hostels could be used for British people who have more of a right than someone who has been in the country five minutes. And it's better than living in a shanty village in their own country, I can guarentee. They're forced to live on benefits......diddums. I'm on benefits at the minute too. I don't know what I'd rather they did, live on benefits and drain the taxpayer or be allowed to work, take jobs British people can easily do and pay taxes.....but use our services nonetheless.

And as for these people that give them these million pound houses what the hell are they thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    What if the UK went into civil war or something, do you think their countries would allow us as asylum seekers? No.
    Me-thinks that you might not want to seek asylum in the countries that they have fled from...... or maybe you would

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Me-thinks that you might not want to seek asylum in the countries that they have fled from...... or maybe you would
    Where would Britons go? I'm not sure we would be accepted anywhere really. I think this country is too lax on immigration.

ReputationRep:
    Where would Britons go? I'm not sure we would be accepted anywhere really. I think this country is too lax on immigration.
    They would be accepted in many nations, certainly any EU member state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Ever heard of compassion and love thy neighbour? That is pretty harsh, dude. They are human you know. Just because they live in a different country doesnt make them scum of the earth. If you were in their situation or something bad happened to the UK I'm sure you'd want to move too.
    I am fundamentally a humanist but my heart isn't big enough to embrace the whole world unfortunately. Immigration causes too many problems in society for it to ever be a good thing. Look at the size of Britain for a start. It can't put up with all the people coming here. Send them to the nearest hospitable country where they want get persecuted.

ReputationRep:
    Most of 'their' countries have rubbish border controls so it would be quite easy to get into. Also, many nations in a state of internal strife at the moment have long land borders (and are not islands like the UK) - e.g. Iraq, Sudan, Liberia, Congo, Afghanistan.

Though if you did need to claim asylum you could always go to an EU member state (right now in fact, if you are a UK citizen) which tend to be safer and are nearer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    I am fundamentally a humanist but my heart isn't big enough to embrace the whole world unfortunately. Immigration causes too many problems in society for it to ever be a good thing. Look at the size of Britain for a start. It can't put up with all the people coming here. Send them to the nearest hospitable country where they want get persecuted.
    Why would immigration cause so many 'problems'?

80% of people in the UAE are immigrants - it works. The UAE is also one-third the geographical area of the UK. Surely the economic fundamentals are more important in underlining the rationale for migration?

ReputationRep:
    It was batstards like you that turned away a ship full of Jewish refugees from Germany just before WW2. They had to go back and perished in the camps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.