Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asylum seekers watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think about asylum seekers?
    Don't care about them
    4.62%
    All should be sent back
    20.00%
    some Should be allowed
    55.38%
    All should be allowed
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    If they have a sponsor and a job waiting for them, then, yes, come on in!

ReputationRep:
    We should care for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Ever heard of compassion and love thy neighbour? That is pretty harsh, dude. They are human you know. Just because they live in a different country doesnt make them scum of the earth. If you were in their situation or something bad happened to the UK I'm sure you'd want to move too.
    Yeah I agree partly, I personally know asylum seekers and the children of those granted asylum here in Bradford and most are just actually economic migrants. I don't see why the UK takes such a disproportionate amount of asylum seekers compared to land area and population size.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/im...asylum-seekers

We do have to help people, but most in the most dire situations don't actually get granted asylum, also Britian can't continue as the world's soup kitchen and charity. Help people sure, but not to the extent we do at the moment....nobody else does - and as said people are naive if they think many of these people are actually in genuine danger.

ReputationRep:
    I would say most are economic migrants, like my family were.

I don't blame then for coming. I'm not going to stop the betterment of my self and family just because some typical Mail/Sun/Mirror reader doesn't want me in their country. I bet my family has contributed more tax money and services to the country as a whole than a lot of the (sorry for using this word) indigenous peoples of Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Refugees from war or significant natural disasters are, in my opinion, fully entitled to seek asylum in the developed world, however, many "asylum seekers" simply seek economic asylum instead - they want a job, not refuge. Legitimate immigration is to be welcomed unilaterally, but illegal immigration is to be abhorred - if they had a genuine reason to enter the country, either seeking asylum or as a skilled migrant, then they should have no problems entering here legally.

However, we would be better off by providing the developed world with the knowledge and funding to become more politically secure and economically developed, thus reducing the likelihood of war or widespread violence, as well as a better capacity to deal with natural disasters. The key is not simply banning people from entering, because desperate people are surprisingly resourceful, but to improve life in the developing world to a point where there is no need to emigrate for the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    I believe in you!
    Thank God you have something positive to say lol. I got that sinking feelings when I looked at the "Who Quoted Me" bit and thought 'Oh God...it's another far right winger who's going to look down on me for being 'compassionate'. Thankfully, a nice person appeared instead ^-^ :p:

ReputationRep:
    dont have a problem with asylum seekers, if theyre genuine. but when they come here through dozens of countries and stay in france for a few weeks (whilst rejecting the possibility of permanent french residence) then i think they should be sent back to their own country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    Syria, for example, has had loads of Iraqi immigrants - should they have to take everyone just because they are next door?
    well, yes, its international law. if someone goes to the first country that is not involved in the persecution of them and asks for asylum they are obliged to give it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    If they come, work, integrate into our society and are beneficial = I no problem with them.
    If they come, moan, assert their culture onto ours, use our benefits = I have a problem with them.
    There's many legal barriers for asylum seekers being allowed a work permit in the UK.

And even when they do manage to finally get refugee status and subsequently, a work permit, then the Daily Mail crew goes on about how "they steal our jobs".

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    well, yes, its international law. if someone goes to the first country that is not involved in the persecution of them and asks for asylum they are obliged to give it.
    Haha OK I got that bit wrong, I know very little about international law. Ethically, though, I don't agree with the people saying we should send asylum seekers back to the nearest safe country to their country of origin.

ReputationRep:
    some are good some are not!

ReputationRep:
    Some are genuine but most are not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    They should be sent back to their own country. Who cares if they could be persecuted there, thats just bad luck on their part for being born there. We shouldnt have to pick up the cost.
    Some that come here don't just spunge off the taxes. There are those that come here and get low income jobs, the sort Brits don't work (either because they don't want to or are too lazy or for another reason) and they work pretty hard at it.

Many of them come here and work harder than a lot of Brits who were born here and who do nought but sit at home, watch daytime television and spunge off taxes.

So that argument is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    As far as general immigration is concerned we should probably take a more restrictive approach like other rich commonwealth countries (Aus/Can/Nz etc) where you need £XXX,000 in the bank OR some useful professional qualification OR sponsorship of a native citizen/ company.

Schengen has kinda screwed us over in that sense. The jobseekers scheme semi-forces people into jobs after a while does it not? If we had less "bottom-tier" immigrants we could actually allocate these jobs to natives instead of having them sponge off the dole! A bit extreme but you have to start the thought process somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Some that come here don't just spunge off the taxes. There are those that come here and get low income jobs, the sort Brits don't work (either because they don't want to or are too lazy or for another reason) and they work pretty hard at it.

Many of them come here and work harder than a lot of Brits who were born here and who do nought but sit at home, watch daytime television and spunge off taxes.

So that argument is nonsense.
    Where's your proof for this? In a way it is racist as you're saying different races that emigrate to Britain are better workers than the British themselves.

To be honest the amount of taxes spent on asylum seekers is ridiculous:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...orey-home.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-seekers.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    Where's your proof for this? In a way it is racist as you're saying different races that emigrate to Britain are better workers than the British themselves.

To be honest the amount of taxes spent on asylum seekers is ridiculous:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...orey-home.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...m-seekers.html

:rolleyes: It's not racist.
    Believe it or not asylum seekers don't come here just to piss you off, they come here because they have been driven from their homeland or they have left because they fear for their safety and because they want a better life for their children and children's children, with the desire for them to have an education and free healthcare.

There are many people on benefits who are able to work but have no desire or wish to go back to work because they are comfortable on benefits or at work.

And some are quite snobbish too. They can be quite picky about what jobs there are, where as asylum seekers come here and they are more than happy to do these jobs because to them any income is good.

And still some idiots give the whole "They come here and take our jobs" well that's nonsense. They come here and they take the jobs that are avaliable because a certain percentage of the British population is too bone idle to get off their fat arses and work for a living to cater for their pathetic existence.

FACT.

As for the amount being spent on asylum seekers, look how much is being spent on benefit thieves.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/ca...ath=2.880/home

I know the source is a bit fuddy duddy, but it's the only one I could find this quickly.
    You are always finding and seeing more stories like this.

ReputationRep:
    because they want a better life for their children and children's children, with the desire for them to have an education and free healthcare.
    And they use the excuse of claiming asylum to get this.

It is racist claiming British are lazy and are benefit frauds and all asylum seekers are hard working. Being an asylum seekers means you automatically get state benefits, being an immigrant doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    And they use the excuse of claiming asylum to get this.
    For the opportunity to come to a safe country for them and their families to work and live yes, it's not an unreasonable idea.

It is racist claiming British are lazy and are benefit frauds and all asylum seekers are hard working.
    It's not racist because Brits aren't a race. And I'm not saying all Brits are lazy and I'm not saying all asylum seekers are hard working.

I'm going to say it again and I want you to really pay attention this time mmmkay?

There are some Brits, people were born in this country who are on benefits even though they are more than capable of working. They might not have been able to work before but now some of them are better, however because some of them are used to being on benefits and some are happy with the income they are getting whilst on benefits, they don't feel like they need to go back to work, and they feel less motivated to do so.

If they do, then sometimes they are still fussy and turn down certain jobs. Low income jobs for example.

You following me so far?

Meanwhile some asylum seekers coming here wish to work and life a safe life with their families and earn some money, so they are more than happy to work these low income jobs. They work the jobs, they pay the tax, their kids go to school and they become part of British society.

So you see, it's not all bad.

Being an asylum seekers means you automatically get state benefits, being an immigrant doesn't.
    No being an asylum seeker means you seek refuge in this country, and that until such time that a judgment is made on your case you are kept in a certain centre. It's not a detention centre, more like a containment centre. Although in recent years there have been problems of people escaping so perhaps the security is much to be desired.

However if a person is accepted then it is up to them what they do, they don't always go on benefits though.

Methinks you real the Daily Mail too much.

ReputationRep:

Methinks you real the Daily Mail too much.
    Or me thinks you're too left wing and brainwashed into thinking Britain being the soup kitchen of the world will bring equality to the world, and we live in a hippy world with pink fluffy albatrosses and flamingos and anyone can go to any country they please.

ReputationRep:
    Or me thinks you're too left wing
    :lol: Being compassionate to other people's circumstances and being willing to give them new lives and opportunities doesn't automatically make me left wing.

brainwashed into thinking Britain being the soup kitchen of the world will bring equality to the world, and we live in a hippy world with pink fluffy albatrosses and flamingos and anyone can go to any country they please
    :lol: I'd rather be that than a xenophobic idiot like yourself.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.