Turn on thread page Beta

Quite unfair. watch

ReputationRep:
    urgh embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the ivory backscratchers you'll accumulate over the years will compensate.

ReputationRep:
    So are you saying that all people should get more loans/ grants etc, or that the people who earn less should also be asked to contribute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    I'm sure the ivory backscratchers you'll accumulate over the years will compensate.
    Hahahah!
    It's not fair though, just because I'm over the EMA thing doesn't mean I'm rich! :sad:

My mum's a secondary school teacher flips sake :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    So are you saying that all people should get more loans/ grants etc, or that the people who earn less should also be asked to contribute?
    I'm not saying anything.
    I just think it's unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Yep its very unfair. My parents had me and my brother go off to uni in the same year and there was no way they could give either of us anymore. Luckily I ended up dropping out so they can support my brother a little but its making things tight at home.

I think the loan should be enough to cover your accomodation fees + give you enough to buy food and essentials. I mean, its a loan, not a grant, so whats the problem :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately it's always going to be unfair as long as it is based on parental income.

ReputationRep:
    God this has been done to death...

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone should get the same loan. Grant is different. Making our parents pay for our university education when other people's don't have to is another tax in itself.

ReputationRep:
    yes its unfair, the same way that some people are born short or ugly or fat or ginger or welsh. Life I'm afraid is tragic.

(clarkson quote, dont kill me.)

ReputationRep:
    Its a complete joke. My parents earn a lot of money, but I have 4 siblings, and as far as my parents are concerned once I'm 18 I'm an adult and have to make my own way in the world, no charity from them included. Once you are 18 and an adult no parental support should be assumed in any circumstance! Not to mention the fact that my parents spend most of their money on themselves!

Student loans should be the same for everyone - basically lending everyone all the money they need. Why the government makes the system into such a **** up i don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    This, use the search bar and there's a million other threads on it, although I do agree it's unfair.

ReputationRep:
    It is unfair, but life is unfair. The government can't afford to pay for everyone's education, and I don't think there's a better way to do it really.

(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    Hahahah!
    It's not fair though, just because I'm over the EMA thing doesn't mean I'm rich! :sad:

My mum's a secondary school teacher flips sake :p:
    I'm fairly sure the maximums for EMA and student finance support are different. Are you sure you're not entitled to anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonofdot)
    It is unfair, but life is unfair. The government can't afford to pay for everyone's education, and I don't think there's a better way to do it really.

I'm fairly sure the maximums for EMA and student finance support are different. Are you sure you're not entitled to anything?
    100% sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    I think everyone should get the same loan. Grant is different. Making our parents pay for our university education when other people's don't have to is another tax in itself.
    What about if your parents earn over a 100k a year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    oooo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    I don't want to sound spoilt, but just looking at the other thread.

Why on earth SHOULD your parents contribute if you earn over the maximum for loans?

I will only get the basic minimum loan and there's very little chance of my parents helping me out.

At all these uni visits they're like "if your parents earn more than **k then they have to help you out."...

I dunno, I just think it's a bit unfair.
    I totally agree. I can't get any help from anyone, and I feel terrible for draining my parents' money . I have two jobs, but I can only get a tuitions fees loan and I rely almost entirely on my parents, who despite being above the "rich" level, are far from being rich…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadder)
    Its a complete joke. My parents earn a lot of money, but I have 4 siblings, and as far as my parents are concerned once I'm 18 I'm an adult and have to make my own way in the world, no charity from them included. Once you are 18 and an adult no parental support should be assumed in any circumstance! Not to mention the fact that my parents spend most of their money on themselves!

Student loans should be the same for everyone - basically lending everyone all the money they need. Why the government makes the system into such a **** up i don't know.
    This exactly. They really should stop thinking that parents will help, they shouldn't have to if they don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catchkt)
    What about if your parents earn over a 100k a year?
    My parents both earn more than this but both refuse to fund my education. The loan I am entitled to won't even cover my accommodation, if I hadn't taken a year out and saved up every penny there is no way I'd be able to afford uni.

I think everyone should be able to get the same loan but people whose parent earn below a certain amount should be entitled to a grant if they need it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and it's unfair that some people's parents don't earn nearly enough to support them even if they wanted to, hence the loans. Life's a *****, get used to it and stop moaning.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.