Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I totally agree. I can't get any help from anyone, and I feel terrible for draining my parents' money . I have two jobs, but I can only get a tuitions fees loan and I rely almost entirely on my parents, who despite being above the "rich" level, are far from being rich…
    If you are in England you are an idiot. Everyone is entitled to a maintenance loan of at least £3500 whatever the family income.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't all you rich middle class whiners ask mummy and daddy how they'd feel about income tax being raised to pay for everyone's university education. See what response you get.

ReputationRep:
    It's very unfair. I get maximum loan and bursary because my mum and dad don't earn much any more.

My boyfriend gets almost the minimum loan because his parents earn more.

My parents finished off paying the mortgage on their house before I was even born when my dad was younger and a high earner.

My boyfriends parents are still paying off their mortgage.

So really, my parents, although they earn less, can help me finanically more than his parents, but he gets the smaller loan.

And I have a part time job.

It's a bit unfair.

But I do love my bursary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    If you are in England you are an idiot. Everyone is entitled to a maintenance loan of at least £3500 whatever the family income.
    I am in England, and I'm not an idiot, I only happen to be classified as an EU national, meaning I can get tuition fees and that's it. I reckon no-one is stupid enough to not take a loan when they can/need it. Except I can't, otherwise I would have taken it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't all you rich middle class whiners ask mummy and daddy how they'd feel about income tax being raised to pay for everyone's university education. See what response you get.
    middle class =/= rich. Noones saying uni education should be paid for by the govt, they're saying loans should cover maintanance costs. Loans are repaid by the student later on. Most people agree people from a lower income family should still get a grant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamc)
    middle class =/= rich. Noones saying uni education should be paid for by the govt, they're saying loans should cover maintanance costs. Loans are repaid by the student later on. Most people agree people from a lower income family should still get a grant.
    Only 70% of loans will ever be repaid due to early death, non working, written off after 25 years and foreigners clearing off. The tax payer picks up the tab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I am in England, and I'm not an idiot, I only happen to be classified as an EU national, meaning I can get tuition fees and that's it. I reckon no-one is stupid enough to not take a loan when they can/need it. Except I can't, otherwise I would have taken it, you prick. :rolleyes:
    How long have you been in England? Long enough to have paid enough contributions to the exchequer to sponge off it I hope? Its hard enough for the Tax payer without subsidising foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been in England? Long enough to have paid enough contributions to the exchequer to sponge off it I hope? Its hard enough for the Tax payer without subsidising foreigners.
    I pay taxes too :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Parents (usually) choose to have childre- it is a life decision they make and they should understand that children are for life, not just til they are 18!

There are lots of arguements- my parents help me out and are not considered "rich". They planned ahead and make some sacrafices to allow me to follow a path I choose. I appreciate this and don't take advantage, and have a part time job now I am in second year as I want to try and earn some of my own money. I also worked before coming to uni. We have long holidays when a lot of money can be earned! I have my tuition fees paid as I am scottish, but my loan of £900 pays for very little.

Some say that some degrees are "useless"- should the government fund courses that lead to no chance of a job? This question is also asked too!

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed some people saying their parents do have the money but don't want to just give it to their kids, that they want them to learn to be independent etc...well if they have the money, why don't the parents just loan the money to their children? That's what my boyfriend's parents are doing for 3 of their 4 children.

Also, I agree it's unfair but what other way is there? They don't have the money to just give out the maximum loan to everybody. If this system wasn't in place, people like me wouldn't be able to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catchkt)
    What about if your parents earn over a 100k a year?
    then they have to spent 40-50% of taxes....
    so really, not half as well off as it sounds

ReputationRep:
    As the poster before said

Rich =/= Middle class.

(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    then they have to spent 40-50% of taxes....
    so really, not half as well off as it sounds
    Only what is earned over the 100k has the max tax.

But I do agree, anyone should have the option of the max loan if they want it, providing they will pay it off ofcourse.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's unfair, but, seeing as you're getting nada in terms of support, it does mean you can go and get a university hardship loan, which those on full support aren't entitled to get most of the time.
    My mum can't afford to support me, but she earns £100 a year too much for me to get more support which would help me a hell of a lot. It's a *****, but you just find a part-time job and grab onto the support you CAN get.

(Original post by Psylencia)
    yes its unfair, the same way that some people are born short or ugly or fat or ginger or welsh. Life I'm afraid is tragic.

(clarkson quote, dont kill me.)
    I'm fat, ginger, and Welsh. MY LIFE IS A FAILURE.

ReputationRep:
    Try having parents who don't earn enough to be able to help you out but don't feel comfortable providing their financial details either, for some reason that is beyond me other than that they don't understand education etc. They say they will help me but at 21, I'm not comfortable with asking them for money. I have had lots of jobs yet was silly enough to go and travel so still don't apply as being independent. The alternative though, is that we don't go to university at all and thats not an option for me so it is tough, we will just have to find part time jobs and muddle through. I'm just thankful that we get any help at all and that I get through my degree without the government coming up with more crazy ideas to make it only available to rich kids.

ReputationRep:
    If you get enough money, you're going to think its fair, if you are struggling you're not. Everyone is in a different situation and naturally you're going to favour what suits you the best

My parents would have loved uni but sadly at that time it was unheard of for people like them since you couldn't get a government loan
    Personally, I'm grateful the loans exist at all (BTW I qualify for the minimum loan and my parents can't afford to help me too much as they have a mortgage and I have siblings, and I bet loads of people are in this situation) and I'm going to just deal with it. There's loads of other loans available if you look, and come on, you're going to have the time of your life at uni its going to be so worth it! :yes:

There's not that much we can do to change the system so make the most of it :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rougelipstick)
    There's not that much we can do to change the system so make the most of it :o:
    :top: It's better than the situation in a lot of other countries..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm fat, ginger, and Welsh. MY LIFE IS A FAILURE.
    Awwwww, I like ginger Welsh people :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    :top: It's better than the situation in a lot of other countries..
    It really is. I'm struggling to pay for uni here, but god I'm glad I did not stay in France, where uni might be free but a massive big piece of crap. I'd rather have two jobs than having to stay at home for three months 'cause the uni's blockaded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    As the poster before said

Rich =/= Middle class.
    You, thank you :love:
    (Tomorrow is my time to return the favour :teeth:)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.