Turn on thread page Beta

Ever thought about moving abroad? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want to live abroad?
    Yes - I'm already planning it!
    77.87%
    No - I love Britain too much!
    9.02%
    Already moved abroad
    19.67%

ReputationRep:
    Canada or The Netherlands. Can't make up my mind. Probably The Netherlands, it depends on how the Erasmus year I'm probably going to do turns out. If it's as awesome as I think it is, then bye bye UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    The food, the weather, the people I know there, the different pace of life. In the UK there is an emphasis on giving all to your work, a social life seems to come a firm second. My experience of France is that family life is very strong and social bonds are firm, and that is exactly the environment I want to be part of. I lived in Bordeaux for 12 months and I loved it; now I'm a uni drop-out and the world is my oyster I figured I have nothing to lose in going back to France to finish my studies. Also, talking of oysters, oysters are cheap in France

wAOW!!!

weird, I live in Paris and sh*it people are rude and annoying!! everytime I go to the UK I don't wanna come back!!!! (well I say that but I'm sure I'll miss good 'ol France after a while:rolleyes: )
    But I think that's just Paris... hope so anyway

Well, as long as you don't have to much trouble learning French I suppose it's OK:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    The West probably - Nevada, northern California, Arizona or even Texas.
    Even better!

I'm looking at either San Diego, Vegas, Phoenix OR DC in the East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    The food, the weather, the people I know there, the different pace of life. In the UK there is an emphasis on giving all to your work, a social life seems to come a firm second. My experience of France is that family life is very strong and social bonds are firm, and that is exactly the environment I want to be part of. I lived in Bordeaux for 12 months and I loved it; now I'm a uni drop-out and the world is my oyster I figured I have nothing to lose in going back to France to finish my studies. Also, talking of oysters, oysters are cheap in France
    Do you speak French?

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority are plannning! Looks like there might be a British brain drain...

ReputationRep:
    Yeeah, I'd love to live in Germany after uni probably will do in the end too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poupee-thedoll)
    wAOW!!!

weird, I live in Paris and sh*it people are rude and annoying!! everytime I go to the UK I don't wanna come back!!!! (well I say that but I'm sure I'll miss good 'ol France after a while:rolleyes: )
    But I think that's just Paris... hope so anyway

Well, as long as you don't have to much trouble learning French I suppose it's OK:p:
    I did a year at Sciences Po in Bdx so my French isn't bad anyway I think it must be something about the grass being greener on the other side (of the Channel!) ; the French language assistants at uni always wanted to live in the UK and couldn't wait to leave their small hometowns in France. I'm from a ****** small town in North Wales and love Paris and Tours and many other places in France. J'ai trop hate d'y revenir!

(Original post by Moe Lester)
    x
    Yes I speak French, although it's a bit rusty at the moment, I haven't spent any real time there for a while, just two nights in 2009 and before that was January 2008. I always find after a few days it comes back though.

ReputationRep:
    I havn't just thought about it, but have 100% decided on it! I plan to graduate, gain 3-4 valuable experience working in the city...and then I'm on the first place out of here :yep:
    There's no way I'll work hard to earn some money, only to be surrounded by a **** environment filled with **** people when I can bask in the fruits of my labour in more prosperous nations. Besides, I plan to become a banker and the UK is heading towards extremely anti-banking policies so it's only logical to move to more favourable places.

ReputationRep:
    Canada for me

ReputationRep:
    Im moving to the UK in Sept!!! Hopefully I'll live in France or Spain after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Mammoth)
    Even better!

I'm looking at either San Diego, Vegas, Phoenix OR DC in the East.
    I'm looking at San Diego, Vegas and Phoenix too.

If I have to go to the East, it'll be Philadelphia or New York.

ReputationRep:
    I REALLY want to move to Paris or maybe somewhere else in France. I think I'd really miss my family, though, so I don't know. I used to think that I wanted to move to North America but I visited my friend last summer who moved to Canada and I loved it but I don't think I could live there. It was amazing so I think I'll visit there a lot but not live there. I don't think I could leave Europe, I really like the cultures/history/people

ReputationRep:
    Germany appeals to me I dont know why, its the richest country in Europe right? I'm not to sure. I would like to relocate, but to an English speaking country, otherwise I see a barrier, can you work in any European country other than UK area and not learn another language?

ReputationRep:
    Yupsies..hopefully Canada after university :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I did a year at Sciences Po in Bdx so my French isn't bad anyway I think it must be something about the grass being greener on the other side (of the Channel!) J'ai trop hate d'y revenir!
    Uhmm pressé d'y retourner? Je suis pressée de retourner en Angleterre

yeah I akshully think it's something about the grass being greener on the other side .

Well my english is a bit rusty as well, starting to have a tiny frenchy accent, and that is just NOT a good thing at all!!

Sciences Po, well you must have good grades!!

(Original post by Ooh La La)
    I REALLY want to move to Paris or maybe somewhere else in France
    IMHO, Paris is great for hols but not to live!
    Go to the south of France :sogood:
    My dad' living there, and he would never come back to the midlands!!

Edit : might have missed out some "S"s, the key ain't working well on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poupee-thedoll)
    Uhmm pressé d'y retourner? Je suis pressée de retourner en Angleterre
    That's what I meant! I told you my French was rusty Anyway I'm spending a weekend in Amsterdam later in the month with one of my French friends so hopefully I can practice a bit...

ReputationRep:
    I want to move to the US, either LA or Miami, I want a hot climate

ReputationRep:
    i want to move to somewhere in scandinavia and be a viking

or france, france is pretty and i'm doing french a level as well, might as well put it to use

but i probably won't, i love london too much to ever leave

ReputationRep:
    I WILL be moving to either Canada or Finland after I finish my Sound Engineering degree, this country has gone to the dogs and good riddance I say!

ReputationRep:
    As someone else said, unless you marry an American then you're pretty much out of luck with the USA. I've looked into it myself. The only exception is if you're super rich, or belong to a key profession (medical doctors, maybe nurses from what I can tell).

I've thought about doing a PhD in Europe, possibly Denmark, Sweden or Switzerland myself (I speak some German). I'm a bit worried about the funding though, a PhD for me is impossible if I can't secure a stipend!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.