Turn on thread page Beta

Ever thought about moving abroad? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want to live abroad?
    Yes - I'm already planning it!
    77.87%
    No - I love Britain too much!
    9.02%
    Already moved abroad
    19.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poupee-thedoll)
    IMHO, Paris is great for hols but not to live!
    Go to the south of France :sogood:
    My dad' living there, and he would never come back to the midlands!!

I would love to go to the south of France! I really want to live in a little apartment with a balcony in Paris :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ooh La La)
    I would love to go to the south of France! I really want to live in a little apartment with a balcony in Paris :sogood:
    Go to Paris and have your definition of a little apartment redefined! My friend lives near the Jardin de Luxembourg and the room is 4m x 5m, the toilet and shower are in a closet in the corner of the room, and her rent is astronomical. If I do end up studying in Paris I already plan on sharing an HLM (council flat) with a friend near St Denis, and commuting into town for uni. When I have some real money I'll get a proper place in Paris

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm gonna do it (to America), but only for a year. I'm so excited

ReputationRep:
    I moved to France in September 08 and love it! Don't love the medical system quite so much though And don't get why people are so fixated on Paris; I live just to the west of it, working in the city during the week, and that's quite enough for me, thanks. It's nice to come to but I wouldn't want to live there.

poupee-thedoll: clearly so French that you can't spell rosbif

ReputationRep:
    Norway

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to live in NZ long enough to get residency, or even citizenship.....meaning I could also live in Australia, handy. But in the meantime will spend time in Canada and possibly France (my boyfriend is French Canadian so it would work pretty well!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    The West probably - Nevada, northern California, Arizona or even Texas.
    Pick Arizona!!! It's absolutely amazing there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Pick Arizona!!! It's absolutely amazing there!
    I've heard this a lot lately. It does seem very nice. What do you think makes it so great?

ReputationRep:
    I think almost everyone contemplates living in a different country unless they are incredibly myopic and have lived in a community where such thoughts aren't even fathomed.

I'd love to move to a different country (America or Belgium) but I'm realistic enough to know that it probably won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    I would LOVE to move to a different country forever (if I liked it there obviously)
    Italy, Canada or Australia/NZ would be my choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    I think almost everyone contemplates living in a different country unless they are incredibly myopic and have lived in a community where such thoughts aren't even fathomed.

I'd love to move to a different country (America or Belgium) but I'm realistic enough to know that it probably won't happen.
    If you want it that badly, then why not? It's not unrealistic, lots of people do it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't move somewhere with a really different climate. As much as I moan about the rain and how cold it can be here, I couldn't cope with really hot summers. This is what I'm used to.

I like the idea of living in Germany for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Australia is probably everything you hope it will be, breathtaking. I was going to do what your doing, except child nursing, I was living there and came home to do it as paying for it there seemed stupid. I've lost my confidence though and have applied for Biology instead which I'm sure I'll love too but it makes my heart hurt a little bit...*urgh doubts, GO AWAY* How will you afford your graduate training are you going to save?

I'm going to be living quite close to london soon though will reminds me of Sydney so I'm optimistic. I'd quite like to live in the Netherlands too actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)

Why don't more people do it then? Is this desire to move a recent phenomenon? Has it become more prevalent with the fewer restrictions we have on freedom of movement nowadays? Or do people set down roots too quickly to give themselves a chance? Certainly in my family I'm the only one who wishes to live abroad (oh, actually I have an aunt who moved to Indonesia, but we're the only ones), I think everyone elses ties to the UK, whether they be emotional, familial or financial, are too strong. This is why I want to move while I don't have these restraints.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    I've heard this a lot lately. It does seem very nice. What do you think makes it so great?

The GRAND CANYON of course and the scenery is so beautiful!!! Also there's a nice culture, lots of native indians & latin Americans! I saw a man in his 60s and he had two really long plaits - amazing lol
    I might think of going to live there one day after Australia.

Also its not too far from Las Vegas!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilie)
    Australia is probably everything you hope it will be, breathtaking. I was going to do what your doing, except child nursing, I was living there and came home to do it as paying for it there seemed stupid. I've lost my confidence though and have applied for Biology instead which I'm sure I'll love too but it makes my heart hurt a little bit...*urgh doubts, GO AWAY* How will you afford your graduate training are you going to save?

I'm going to be living quite close to london soon though will reminds me of Sydney so I'm optimistic. I'd quite like to live in the Netherlands too actually.
    I too would love to live in the Netherlands, and was looking at studying there; but I'd need to work at the same time, and don't think I'll be able to afford the €1,100 national health insurance (compulsory) that I'd have to get if I got a job. I'm off to Amsterdam next week so I may pop into the uni and try and speak to somebody to see how realistic my prospects for entry are.

ReputationRep:
    New York City/California is my dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tilie)

Wow. So you went to live in Australia for a bit and you were doing child nursing over there?? I want to live in Sydney aswel! Can I ask where abouts in Sydney?
    I think if I didn't do nursing i'd probably go for human biology or something! It's so interesting! I'm sure you will enjoy it!!

Well the graduate programme is more to do with converting the qualification and allowing me to be able to register with the nursing board in Aus. I've taken a gap year this year and have worked lots - and will try and save a lot when I do my training! can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I too would love to live in the Netherlands, and was looking at studying there; but I'd need to work at the same time, and don't think I'll be able to afford the €1,100 national health insurance (compulsory) that I'd have to get if I got a job. I'm off to Amsterdam next week so I may pop into the uni and try and speak to somebody to see how realistic my prospects for entry are.
    Is it Amsterdam you would like to live? Same for me. I've looked into it but I found it extremely confusing. I tried to find a uni course here that allowed an exchange with Uva too but no, I think I'll be doing post grad there if I can though. Yeah sounds like a good idea! I'm going in April for 3 days, I love the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I did a year at Sciences Po in Bdx so my French isn't bad anyway I think it must be something about the grass being greener on the other side (of the Channel!) ; the French language assistants at uni always wanted to live in the UK and couldn't wait to leave their small hometowns in France. I'm from a ****** small town in North Wales and love Paris and Tours and many other places in France. J'ai trop hate d'y revenir!
    haha don't dis north wales! where bouts are you from?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.