The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What a load of ****, I bet not even 5% will move country.
Reply 81
There should be a "Yes but I'm not sure" or a "Yes but I decided not to" option.

For example I'd consider moving to California, simply because my passion is tech startups and if you really want to be successful in that arena it's the place to be really.. However the UK is where all my family, friends, connections etc are. It's not easy to jump ship and turn up in a new country on your own. People often leave expecting life to be spectacular and different just because they're in another part of the world, when in reality it's you that makes your life rather than where you are.

I have so many relatives/etc who have attempted to move to other countries and came back, or got there and hated it and not been able to afford to move back, etc.. Far too many people treat it as a "big fix" to larger problems in their lives. (Then there's also the people that run away to Spain etc who don't want to work and live an easy life, etc.. Which is just plain cowardly IMHO)
Reply 82
CrookedLegs
I think almost everyone contemplates living in a different country unless they are incredibly myopic and have lived in a community where such thoughts aren't even fathomed.

Hahah not everyone!! you should come up to north wales up in the hills! And if you mention abroad - the furthest a lot have been is Mid wales or North of England. My family have stayed in wales since 1600s! (as i've just found out in my family tree!)
Reply 83
Holamigo
haha don't dis north wales! where bouts are you from?

Wrexham, and it's honestly the reason why I want to live abroad - I hate that it's ugly, uncultured, full of chavs and small minded people. The best bit about it is that it's easy to get to better places because it's well linked up with trains and buses and that. I realise now that I don't need to go abroad to get away from places like Wrexham, there are nice places all over the UK. Yet, to restrict yourself to one country when there is so much of the world to discover? I know I've said I'd like to settle in France but really I'd love to travel all over the world. Sadly there just isn't enough time. Still, I hope to be out of Cardiff by the end of the summer.

Where in North Wales are you from? I know there are lots of picturesque and pretty places in North Wales, but Wrexham ruined it for me. I don't think I could go back.
Reply 84
Holamigo
Wow. So you went to live in Australia for a bit and you were doing child nursing over there?? I want to live in Sydney aswel! Can I ask where abouts in Sydney?
I think if I didn't do nursing i'd probably go for human biology or something! It's so interesting! I'm sure you will enjoy it!!

Well the graduate programme is more to do with converting the qualification and allowing me to be able to register with the nursing board in Aus. I've taken a gap year this year and have worked lots - and will try and save a lot when I do my training! :smile: can't wait!

Ah no I wasn't doing child nursing there, there is a really amazing childcare agency in Sydney who I worked for and they sent me to different nurseries and centres every day, I loved it so much! My boyfriend was Australian so I wanted to do it over there and fell in love with half of the universities but the prices were just crazy, although they are really easy going about accepting you if you can afford it.

I lived in a place called Rozelle which is about 10 mins from the city but I worked pretty much all over Sydney, oh my god you will love it though! Have you had a good nosy around the NSW Health website? its really useful. I wish you lots of luck in doing your training and getting where you want to be!
Reply 85
mituozo
There should be a "Yes but I'm not sure" or a "Yes but I decided not to" option.

For example I'd consider moving to California, simply because my passion is tech startups and if you really want to be successful in that arena it's the place to be really.. However the UK is where all my family, friends, connections etc are. It's not easy to jump ship and turn up in a new country on your own. People often leave expecting life to be spectacular and different just because they're in another part of the world, when in reality it's you that makes your life rather than where you are.

I have so many relatives/etc who have attempted to move to other countries and came back, or got there and hated it and not been able to afford to move back, etc.. Far too many people treat it as a "big fix" to larger problems in their lives. (Then there's also the people that run away to Spain etc who don't want to work and live an easy life, etc.. Which is just plain cowardly IMHO)

Yeah sorry I should have added more options! Anyway I can change it ? :confused:

I know what you mean - some people do use it just as an escape route. But to be honest since I was about 12 I wanted to live in a different country - There's just so many things I don't like about the UK! I will of course miss my family but I want to live my own life and will always come back and visit.
Holamigo
Hahah not everyone!! you should come up to north wales up in the hills! And if you mention abroad - the furthest a lot have been is Mid wales or North of England. My family have stayed in wales since 1600s! (as i've just found out in my family tree!)

I'm not saying everyone will move abroad, but that everyone will at least once think of living somewhere else.

Oh, Wales, yeah, maybe not then...
Reply 87
Moving abroad is all I ever think about :smile:
Holamigo
Did you move to Spain with family? and how come you moved back?

Australia fascinates me though - don't know why but it's always appealed to me. Guess i'll have to watch out for those spiders!:O and the snakes...

Plus Australia is higher cost of living and higher property prices.
Reply 89
Tilie
Ah no I wasn't doing child nursing there, there is a really amazing childcare agency in Sydney who I worked for and they sent me to different nurseries and centres every day, I loved it so much! My boyfriend was Australian so I wanted to do it over there and fell in love with half of the universities but the prices were just crazy, although they are really easy going about accepting you if you can afford it.

I lived in a place called Rozelle which is about 10 mins from the city but I worked pretty much all over Sydney, oh my god you will love it though! Have you had a good nosy around the NSW Health website? its really useful. I wish you lots of luck in doing your training and getting where you want to be!

aw I bet it was so good working in different nurseries!! I love working with children too! Did you meet your bf in Aus or met him before that?
Lol I might be sending you a few PMs in the future bout the best places to go etc.. would you recommend living in Rozelle ? I've heard that the north & east part of sydney is reeally expensive and the western side is cheaper-Is that true?
I'll have a nose at the NSW health site! :cool:
There wasnt an option for me to vote ... i lived in Poland for 6 months in 2008 and would happily live there again in the future before i moved there i would frequently go on holidays there and visit friends :smile:
Carl
Why don't more people do it then? Is this desire to move a recent phenomenon? Has it become more prevalent with the fewer restrictions we have on freedom of movement nowadays? Or do people set down roots too quickly to give themselves a chance? Certainly in my family I'm the only one who wishes to live abroad (oh, actually I have an aunt who moved to Indonesia, but we're the only ones), I think everyone elses ties to the UK, whether they be emotional, familial or financial, are too strong. This is why I want to move while I don't have these restraints.

I'd say that realism sets in with people that financially a move abroad isn't viable- I'd only move abroad if I had a job lined up that would be able to support me, or I had enough money to move of my own accord. For the majority of people, they don't have this so whilst the concept of living abroad is entertained, it is rarely followed through.

You say you want to move, do you have a career lined up abroad or would you move and then look for a job (or are you in a situation where you don't need a job?)
Reply 92
Jennie1987
Plus Australia is higher cost of living and higher property prices.

Worth it though!!!

I'm not too bothered about it being more expensive as I would get a higher salary for nursing over there than I would in the UK because there is such a shortage!
And when you think of what you get for your money over there compared to here? I mean they have swimming pools in their houses, lovely weather, beautiful scenery and quite spaced out. This country just seems so crowded!
ranbow99
If you want it that badly, then why not? It's not unrealistic, lots of people do it :confused:

I don't want it that badly, I'm perfectly content to continue living the rest of my life in Birmingham if it's where my best career prospects lie; that's why I don't think I'll ever move abroad, I don't think I'll be in a situation where it is viable for me to do so, whether that is through finding a job, having enough money to make the move, having family to bring with me etc.

There are alot of mitigating factors that need to be accounted for but it seems like alot of people don't do that - the concept is far easier than the reality because realistically, moving country is extremely difficult.
Reply 94
CrookedLegs
I'm not saying everyone will move abroad, but that everyone will at least once think of living somewhere else.

Oh, Wales, yeah, maybe not then...

lol nah not people who live round here - honestly the thought does not even enter most people's heads!

When I have said to my family i'm thinking of moving abroad - they are like ' why do you want to move there ? you can see it on the tv! hahahaha' :woo:
Holamigo
Worth it though!!!

I'm not too bothered about it being more expensive as I would get a higher salary for nursing over there than I would in the UK because there is such a shortage!
And when you think of what you get for your money over there compared to here? I mean they have swimming pools in their houses, lovely weather, beautiful scenery and quite spaced out. This country just seems so crowded!

The examples ive seen have shown no or little salary increase for health professionals (physio therapists, nurses, natural paths) and like fruit being triple the price as well as the overall shopping/living.
Holamigo
lol nah not people who live round here - honestly the thought does not even enter most people's heads!

When I have said to my family i'm thinking of moving abroad - they are like ' why do you want to move there ? you can see it on the tv! hahahaha' :woo:

Ha ahh that's fine then. I suppose in my family it's just always been accepted that moving is part of life as only my Dad and my Mom's brother live where they grew up in.
Reply 97
Holamigo
aw I bet it was so good working in different nurseries!! I love working with children too! Did you meet your bf in Aus or met him before that?
Lol I might be sending you a few PMs in the future bout the best places to go etc.. would you recommend living in Rozelle ? I've heard that the north & east part of sydney is reeally expensive and the western side is cheaper-Is that true?
I'll have a nose at the NSW health site! :cool:

Yeah definitely. Over here we don't get much opportunity to work with kids (well, not paid atleast) unless we have qualifications do we but it was just refeshing to be able finally get experience in something I've always wanted.

No i met him when I was working for PGL, he was here on his gap year and then invited me back with him :smile: You definitely can PM when you need advice, I loved Sydney so am full of advice :p: Hmm, well I liked living there and always felt very safe, it is in the Inner West part of Sydney and all of the suburbs in the Inner West are all very nice to live in. I was lucky and didn't have to pay rent as I lived with his parents but when we looked at renting, it was pretty cheap! I think that, when you have never been somewhere it is a really scary thought...I did all the travelling alone but once I had been there a while it felt just like home and it isn't frightening at all.
Reply 98
Carl
Wrexham, and it's honestly the reason why I want to live abroad - I hate that it's ugly, uncultured, full of chavs and small minded people. The best bit about it is that it's easy to get to better places because it's well linked up with trains and buses and that. I realise now that I don't need to go abroad to get away from places like Wrexham, there are nice places all over the UK. Yet, to restrict yourself to one country when there is so much of the world to discover? I know I've said I'd like to settle in France but really I'd love to travel all over the world. Sadly there just isn't enough time. Still, I hope to be out of Cardiff by the end of the summer.

Where in North Wales are you from? I know there are lots of picturesque and pretty places in North Wales, but Wrexham ruined it for me. I don't think I could go back.

Time?? You have your whole life ahead! I'm definitely gonna travel the world one day! It's my dream!
Ahh yeah Wrexham isn't too bad! I like going shopping there! Try living in RHYL! It's full of chavs! I lived there for 10 years !:frown: now live in St Asaph, near Denbigh if you know it?? Very welshies live here and mainly go on about farming etc.. lol

Exactly, I find a lot of north wales is full of small minded people - most people want to spend the rest of their lives here and never live in a different country - nothing's wrong with that if they are happy but I just couldn't imagine living here for rest of my life. Might be good to come back when I retire or something!
:rolleyes:
Reply 99
CrookedLegs
I'd say that realism sets in with people that financially a move abroad isn't viable- I'd only move abroad if I had a job lined up that would be able to support me, or I had enough money to move of my own accord. For the majority of people, they don't have this so whilst the concept of living abroad is entertained, it is rarely followed through.

You say you want to move, do you have a career lined up abroad or would you move and then look for a job (or are you in a situation where you don't need a job?)

At the moment I'm a uni drop-out so the plan is to get a uni place and do some bar work or something similar to support myself. If all else fails I will line myself up with some work and get out there. The important thing is that, apart from some short term debts, I don't have any commitments here at the moment, and I do have the language behind me, so I just want to get out there and start over.

Latest

Trending

Trending