Turn on thread page Beta

Ever thought about moving abroad? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want to live abroad?
    Yes - I'm already planning it!
    77.87%
    No - I love Britain too much!
    9.02%
    Already moved abroad
    19.67%

ReputationRep:
    I have to either Japan, India or South Africa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I read somewhere that a survey was done and 42% of Brits who answered it wanted to emigrate

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7020009.ece
    Really? What do you think it's the reasons? I haven't lived in the UK, but it seems to have nice people. Although the weather sucks.

(Original post by Turf Paradise)
    America in reality is nothing like what the films portray.

America should be one of the last places on earth you want to live in.
    Not really. I Have lived in the US and I loved it. Actually, in many ways it was like film portrayed it. Especially schools.

However, I missed nature though, because you had to drive for hours to see trees and nobody did hiking. But other than, people was nice and friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    Christ, once again, when did I say only going for a year? I'm on a gap year at the moment but couldn't go anywhere because I'm doing work experience in journalism.

I don't think it'll stop me from going because being realistic is important...maybe I'm not as impulsive as you but I like to plan ahead for things and unsurprisingly, moving country would be one of the biggest decisions I could ever make so I'd want to make sure I wasn't just throwing myself in to it without having anything set up.
    lol Calm down! I'm not having a go or anything???

you said
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    If I had the money to go to Belgium for a year, or if I could get a job that was as good as one that I could get here then I would move immediately
    Which is what I meant by 'if your thinking of going for a year' Sorry if you didn't mean that but I thought you did.

Yeah of course I agree about it being a big decision and moving away for a few years has to be planned!
    I

ReputationRep:
    I'm not already planning it, but moving out to Canada would be quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Trinidad in the Caribbean.... It's like a holiday.. just permanent - and just like a holiday, you have to go home at some point!

I miss the UK like ****!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camlon)
    Really? What do you think it's the reasons? I haven't lived in the UK, but it seems to have nice people. Although the weather sucks.

Not really. I Have lived in the US and I loved it. Actually, in many ways it was like film portrayed it. Especially schools.

However, I missed nature though, because you had to drive for hours to see trees and nobody did hiking. But other than, people was nice and friendly.
    The article I linked to gives some reasons, but also the expensive cost of living probably pays a part (http://www.worldsalaries.org/cost-of-living.shtml ). Recently I got in an argument with someone on TSR about crime in Britain, it's pretty bad, with 2.8% of the population being a victim of assault (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ssault-victims - take a look at some of the numbers on that site for other crimes, Britain is repeatedly high on the list). This is also interesting: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...77_468x636.jpg . What I particularly find amusing about Britain is despite the high levels of crime you get tried and, in some cases, sent to prison for defending yourself, whilst the guys who do the crimes get ridiculously short sentences or suspended sentences. :p:

Just some reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think of Netherlands all the time. I just love it there. But I'd certainly settle for Scotland (not really abroad) as I lived there for a while and just think the QoL is better than in England.

ReputationRep:
    Britain must be the most boring place on earth, people look depressing and its always raining.

ReputationRep:
    i have, and to be honest i much prefer Blighty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The article I linked to gives some reasons, but also the expensive cost of living probably pays a part (http://www.worldsalaries.org/cost-of-living.shtml ). Recently I got in an argument with someone on TSR about crime in Britain, it's pretty bad, with 2.8% of the population being a victim of assault (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...ssault-victims - take a look at some of the numbers on that site for other crimes, Britain is repeatedly high on the list). This is also interesting: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/...77_468x636.jpg . What I particularly find amusing about Britain is despite the high levels of crime you get tried and, in some cases, sent to prison for defending yourself, whilst the guys who do the crimes get ridiculously short sentences or suspended sentences. :p:

Just some reasons.
    Crime and pay doesn't seem like issues to me. I mean, the American health care system is expensive, but I don't feel it's a very good excuse for leaving. As long as I can move freely outside without being afraid of losing my life, I wouldn't mind.

What I dislike about Norway is the nanny state. Feel free to work hard, but it has no effect on you life. If I feel no pressure to work hard, then I will turn lazy. I want to risk failing and I want more personal choice. At university, students pretty much never get work experience, the whole orientation week was only about getting drunk. Your grades at university doesn't matter, you'll get the same wage anyway. You are not allowed to work more than 40 hours a week, and many have collective agreements so that you have no influence on your wage. I hate the fact that I can just slack off, and still get a decent wage.

I also feel that I'm not very Norwegian. All of my friends are either foreign or hate Norway (my best friend is moving with me) and I have trouble befriending native Norwegians. From what I have seen from forums, most hard working foreigners hate Norway, because they are not able to get friends.

The worst part is probably that pretty much everyone disagrees with all of the issues mentioned above and love Norway and think UN ranked Norway as the best country in the world, even though they didn't. (they never said it should be used to rank what country is best in the world, and it's not good for that purpose either).

Therefore, I'm moving to NZ. It seems to demand more of me, because courses seem much harder and the orientation week is certainly not all about getting drunk and you pretty much have to attend classes, and they even require you to work in your break. They don't limit how many hours you can work per week, and wages are more affected by your decisions. Also, I liked the US so why not NZ?
    And I shouldn't forget, contrary to most people, I think Norwegian girls are ugly.

That's my rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camlon)
    Crime and pay doesn't seem like issues to me. I mean, the American health care system is expensive, but I don't feel it's a very good excuse for leaving. As long as I can move freely outside without being afraid of losing my life, I wouldn't mind.

What I dislike about Norway is the nanny state. Feel free to work hard, but it has no effect on you life. If I feel no pressure to work hard, then I will turn lazy. I want to risk failing and I want more personal choice. At university, students pretty much never get work experience, the whole orientation week was only about getting drunk. Your grades at university doesn't matter, you'll get the same wage anyway. You are not allowed to work more than 40 hours a week, and many have collective agreements so that you have no influence on your wage. I hate the fact that I can just slack off, and still get a decent wage.

I also feel that I'm not very Norwegian. All of my friends are either foreign or hate Norway (my best friend is moving with me) and I have trouble befriending native Norwegians. From what I have seen from forums, most hard working foreigners hate Norway, because they are not able to get friends.

The worst part is probably that pretty much everyone disagrees with all of the issues mentioned above and love Norway and think UN ranked Norway as the best country in the world, even though they didn't. (they never said it should be used to rank what country is best in the world, and it's not good for that purpose either).

Therefore, I'm moving to NZ. It seems to demand more of me, because courses seem much harder and you pretty much have to attend classes, and they even require you to work in your break. Also, they don't limit how many hours you can work per week, and wages are more affected by your decisions. Also, I liked the US so why not NZ?
    And I shouldn't forget, contrary to most people, I think Norwegian girls are ugly.

That's my rant.
    Do you hate Norway by any chance?:rolleyes:

NZ - good choice (y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Go to Paris and have your definition of a little apartment redefined! My friend lives near the Jardin de Luxembourg and the room is 4m x 5m, the toilet and shower are in a closet in the corner of the room, and her rent is astronomical. If I do end up studying in Paris I already plan on sharing an HLM (council flat) with a friend near St Denis, and commuting into town for uni. When I have some real money I'll get a proper place in Paris
    Are they all like this?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ It's highly likely. Rent is obscenely expensive. Even living 25km west of Paris as I do, my fiancé and I pay 880€ a month for a 45m² apartment (not including bills, of course), whereas when he was in Angouleme last week he saw a flat advertised for just 550€ a month for 93m² :eek: (*cue jealousy*) Unfortunately, though, Paris and the surrounding area (Rueil/La Défense etc) is where most of the good jobs are, so most people don't have a choice. It's very common for people to not own their own property in Paris, but to own a house in the country and go there every weekend, just renting in or near Paris for work purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ooh La La)
    Are they all like this?
    Of course not, but rents in Paris are very expensive, unless I'm mistaken a flat that would be considered a decent size in any of the 20 arrondissements would be over 1000€ a month.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Quite likely. And by the time you're paying that sort of money (on rent!!) you may as well be paying a mortgage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Of course not, but rents in Paris are very expensive, unless I'm mistaken a flat that would be considered a decent size in any of the 20 arrondissements would be over 1000€ a month.
    I guess I'm going to have to wait until I'm earning a decent amount then

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go to Spain! Madrid <3 <3 <3

ReputationRep:
    I Plan to move to St Petersburg, RU. And Live there for at least a year. But at the rate i am going, it's looking to be just a short trip. But i'll see how the funds go within the next year or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowplay)
    I'd love to go to Spain! Madrid <3 <3 <3
    Why Spain?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I shall move to Australia before I'm 30

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.