Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi
    I really need to get a high grade in english lang to get into my college, but i can't do that without a high grade in english and i really don't understand the mark scheme so can someone please dumb it down a little lol with examples please. And i only got a grade C in november.

ty

(i) read, with insight and engagement, making appropriate references to texts and
    developing and sustaining interpretations of them

(ii) distinguish between fact and opinion and evaluate how information is presented

(iii) follow an argument, identifying implications and recognising inconsistencies

(iv) select material appropriate to their purpose, collate material from different sources,
    and make cross-references

(v) understand and evaluate how writers use linguistic, structural and presentational
    devices to achieve their effects, and comment on ways language varies and
    changes.

Also what does it mean by "detailed/shaped & absorbed" as this is what you need to get the high grades in section A.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (i) read, with insight and engagement, making appropriate references to texts and
    developing and sustaining interpretations of them

it means reading through the reading text carefully and reading between the lines to understand specific details of what the author is trying to communicate in different ways e.g. language devices like exaggeration (hyperbole)

(ii) distinguish between fact and opinion and evaluate how information is presented

you need to know what is a fact, and what is an opinion. Like for example, in the June 2009 paper it asked what the author is presenting in facts or opinions. One thing you may want to note down is an "[B]ASSERTIVE[B]". This is a opinion, presented in a factual way. E.g. "There is no doubt, my school is the best". Also, think about how isit presented? What do the bullet points show, the simplicity of it, etc? Are there any headings, or subheadings? And why?

(iii) follow an argument, identifying implications and recognising inconsistencies

This is simple C grade stuff. Following an argument: a question may say "What is the Author arguing in this, and how do they present it". You may want to take note on language devices, but basically they are asking you what the argument is, and what side the author is taking.

(iv) select material appropriate to their purpose, collate material from different sources,
    and make cross-references

This is referring to the way you answer your question. It is asking you to select appropriate material in your answer, and make sure your quotatations link back to the question and answer it!
    A* tips - use "embedded" quotes. I.e the quotes fit into the sentence. E.g. The author is implying that we should all go "enviromently friendly" because it "helps" towards ... " This impresses the examiner as it makes your answer flow coherently. Don't do: The author is saying that nobody is helping the enviroment, it says this in "you should go enviromently friendly as it helps". This doesnt make sense, do you get it?

(v) understand and evaluate how writers use linguistic, structural and presentational
    devices to achieve their effects, and comment on ways language varies and
    changes.

You have to use PEEL paragraphs: point, evidence, explain and link. Remember, use embedded quotes. But basically, presentational devices are like colour, headings, subheadings, picture, etc. Dont say "they are eye catching", this is grade D-C, look into depth, why is this colour being used. Maybe red symbolises danger, or evil, whereas Blue symbolises masculinity? You may have to compare one of the "Items" in the exam, to another, You should comment on language between them both, and then colour. Why is this language device being used? Always think that in the exam, and HOW it has the effect on the readers.

Also what does it mean by "detailed/shaped & absorbed" as this is what you need to get the high grades in section A.

I see where you are coming from. The examiners have to see whether your answer is "absorbed". This means whether you have answered the question fully and superbly, and you have included various details to make the answer outstanding. If yes, you are in the top criteria band.

Hope I Helped

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.