Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    someone please help me.
    I think I've made such a mistake in choosing history.
    I always knew I wanted to do nursing in the back of my mind.
    I've applied to DMU, and they do nursing.
    But I have a conditonal offer for History.
    Can I ask them to consider me for nursing instead?

PLEASE HELP ME
    I can't afford to take a year out and re-apply as I'm already on a gap year

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you contact them and ask. But if they wont why not do one year of the course...

ReputationRep:
    They are completely different departments so you need to contact the History department to let them know what your doing, and then contact the department for Nursing and make them aware ASAP of your intentions.

ReputationRep:
    Should I get in contact via phone or email, should i write to explain why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    They are completely different departments so you need to contact the History department to let them know what your doing, and then contact the department for Nursing and make them aware ASAP of your intentions.
    If I contact the History department and tell them I'm considering changing to nursing, will they automatically decline my offer. I don't want that happening. I'm scared i'll lose out on my history offer as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyness)
    If I contact the History department and tell them I'm considering changing to nursing, will the automatically decline me offer. I don't want that happening. I'm scared i'll lose out on my history offer as well.
    You still aren't certain then? Really you need to contact the university ASAP and try to get this sorted. Contact the department for Nursing and talk to them. Don't say that your definitely going to do it, just say that you are 'wondering'. That way, your just asking for information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    You still aren't certain then? Really you need to contact the university ASAP and try to get this sorted. Contact the department for Nursing and talk to them. Don't say that your definitely going to do it, just say that you are 'wondering'. That way, your just asking for information.
    I am certain I want to do it.
    But just scared that they won't let me in for nursing and decline my history offer.

okay, the word 'wondering' is good to you.

So I contact the nursing department and ask them ' I'm wondering if I can change from history to nursing'.

ReputationRep:
    But just scared that they won't let me in for nursing and decline my history offer.

So I contact the nursing department and ask them ' I'm wondering if I can change from history to nursing'.
    No, you don't, quite. You will need to give them some idea of why you want to switch at this late stage. If they agree to consider you, you are likely to have to produce another personal statement, one that shows exactly why you have changed your mind and that you really understand what nursing is about. Your history offer won't be affected by contacting the Nursing Admissions Team and talking to them about your options, but you need to check out what the position would be if you were to formally ask to be considered for nursing instead.

ReputationRep:

Yes wondering or 'curious to know' are good phrases as you aren't committing yourself to anything. You are just asking for information, no harm in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    No, you don't, quite. You will need to give them some idea of why you want to switch at this late stage. If they agree to consider you, you are likely to have to produce another personal statement, one that shows exactly why you have changed your mind and that you really understand what nursing is about. Your history offer won't be affected by contacting the Nursing Admissions Team and talking to them about your options, but you need to check out what the position would be if you were to formally ask to be considered for nursing instead.
    Sorry if this is stupid.
    But how much of an idea?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is stupid.
    But how much of an idea?
    You must have some idea of why you now want to be a nurse, surely? You won't get very far if you just ring up and say "I know I've got an offer for History but I'm thinking I would like to do Nursing instead." If I was on the other end of that phone call, I'd want to hear something from you about why this change, and why now. Have you any relevant work experience, for instance? What have you done to find out about nursing as a career, and what it involves?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the advice you've been given. It's such a radical change - if you'd applied to do a science or more social studies based course it would probably be easier.

Speaking to the nursing dept. won't affect your history offer but you'll need to think very carefully about how you're going to convince them.

The fact that you've already been accepted at the uni is a huge plus. I know someone who did something similar last year at Coventry with no problem at all, but the courses weren't so different. I assume your subjects are Ok for nursing and if you're on a gap year you already know your results are good enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annonnymoose)
    I agree with the advice you've been given. It's such a radical change - if you'd applied to do a science or more social studies based course it would probably be easier.

Speaking to the nursing dept. won't affect your history offer but you'll need to think very carefully about how you're going to convince them.

The fact that you've already been accepted at the uni is a huge plus. I know someone who did something similar last year at Coventry with no problem at all, but the courses weren't so different. I assume your subjects are Ok for nursing and if you're on a gap year you already know your results are good enough?
    Yes They want a CCC for nursing.
    I have a-level in maths, biology and history.

ReputationRep:
    Yes They want a CCC for nursing.
    I have a-level in maths, biology and history.
    In that case give them a calll asap - you've got nothing to lose by asking the question!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.