Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im planning on studying at Bournemourth :yes:
    it looks great and the nightlife looks good.

At the momment i'm split between applying for the Purbeck Halls or the Cranbourne Halls?

To start with i looked at the accommodation video on the site and prefered Purbeck but then some friends told me cranbourne was a good halls but they are pretty similar. I want to go somewhere which will be fun and lively with lots of partys. I want to go where there will a be aload of hots girls lol.
    Didnt mind the look of Lyme Regis either but dn't like Hurn House as there would be up to 18 in a room! lol.

Any reccomendations??

x

ReputationRep:
    Im split between staying at Purbeck or Cranborne Halls
    Just wanted to find out what the percentage of male to females at each of the halls?

Are there more girls or boys at one than other?

I know its not important just would like to know as they are mixed halls how many of each sex it is likely i will be sharing with?
    And will one be full of girls or full of guys?

x:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Cranborne is mixed, with roughly half and half in each flat. So on our floor it's flats of 7 bedrooms, in ours there's 3 guys and 4 girls and then next door there is 3 girls and 4 guys, so you won't have a sausage fest.
    I'd say choose cranborne, but then I would seeing I live there.

ReputationRep:
    Not being horrible, but it depends on your price range. I know Purbeck is £93 p/w rent, and I think cranborne is about £84.

Tbh, the bedrooms are both good, the bathrooms in cranborne perhaps a tiny bit better (more space)...but the thing I hate about cranborne is the front room. Bad flooring (hard floors, not carpets like Purbeck), rubbish views and it just gives the vibe of a prison dining area.

I'd say choose Purbeck, with Cranborne as an insurance, but that's just me!

ReputationRep:
    what about lyme regis house? id have thought that would have been peoples first choice generally as its brand new..but most people on here dont seem to like it...how come?. and how come you can only select one place on the accommodation application? what happens if you dont get it?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get it you get put in a unilet which can either be bad or good.

And Lyme Regis is the nicest of the 3 accommodations and then as they get cheaper they get worse, there's nothing actually wrong with them, they just look older because they are. As said the communal area in Cranbourne is worse than Purbeck, but the rooms are pretty much identical in each of the 3 halls, and the mix of boys to girls is 50/50 practically every where that I've gone, my flat had 2 boys 3 girls, flat next door had 5 girls, I've known flats with all boys, so just depends on how much you can afford. They're all practically in the same place so location doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marink)
    If you don't get it you get put in a unilet which can either be bad or good.

And Lyme Regis is the nicest of the 3 accommodations and then as they get cheaper they get worse, there's nothing actually wrong with them, they just look older because they are. As said the communal area in Cranbourne is worse than Purbeck, but the rooms are pretty much identical in each of the 3 halls, and the mix of boys to girls is 50/50 practically every where that I've gone, my flat had 2 boys 3 girls, flat next door had 5 girls, I've known flats with all boys, so just depends on how much you can afford. They're all practically in the same place so location doesn't matter.

thats pretty harsh not to give you an insurance choice...is it first come first served? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02edwah)
    thats pretty harsh not to give you an insurance choice...is it first come first served? x
    Well they only have enough student accommodation for about 70% of first years, so its all based on what you apply for.

And yeah, so if you've got an unconditional I'd apply ASAP, or apply as soon as you can after the results come out as you'll have the best chance of getting in then.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, don't know if anyone can help me? But can we only apply for accommodation if out offer is already unconditional, or can we apply now if it is only conditional? I've got a conditional for Adult Nursing starting in Sept, and I am SO confused about the whole accommodation situation! If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairyqueen374)
    Hey, don't know if anyone can help me? But can we only apply for accommodation if out offer is already unconditional, or can we apply now if it is only conditional? I've got a conditional for Adult Nursing starting in Sept, and I am SO confused about the whole accommodation situation! If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it! Thank you x
    nah you cannot apply for accommodation until its unconditional, sucks i know as its a fight for halls. all im waiting for is a clear criminal records check, already got my grades etc and i still can't. just get in as soon as you can x

ReputationRep:
    Purbecks much better!!

ReputationRep:
    It's a fairly easy choice really, lets look at the pro and cons:

Cranbourne

Pros:

Central area (opposite purbeck)
    Cheaper than purbeck
    En suite (not all that amazing though)

Cons:

A lot less modern than Purbeck/Lyme
    Kitchen and bathrooms are not as nice
    Living area is fairly crap
    No views

Purbeck

Pros:

Modern through and through
    Fantastic views across the whole of bournemouth town if you get a front facing flat (sea view as well).
    Very spacious open plan kitchen and lounge
    En suite
    Security and staff are absolutely fantastic, and you may think it's nothing to consider, but bearing in mind you see them a few times every day, it's quite a biggy.
    Central area

Cons:

More expensive than cranbourne

Lyme regis

Pros:

The most modern of all accommodation
    Wireless internet (although it's VERY slow, so not much of a bonus)
    More modern en suite's.

Cons:

Small communal kitchen/living areas
    Security/staff are knobs
    Not much of a view, but still better than Cranbourne

Purbeck first choice, Lyme regis insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I am studying Adult Nursing Degree at Bournemouth starting September 2010. I have recently received an offer for Abbotsbury House, I chose it because it was closest to Bournemouth hospital, has nobody else applied for this? Was it not a good choice? Very confused!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.