Turn on thread page Beta

Volunteering abroad websites? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any volunteering abroad websites that are trustworthy, and not scammers?!
    :confused:

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Project Trust. You more or less have to be a schoolleaver though, so not suitable for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Try Raleigh, they have been doing volunteer projects abroad for 25 years, Prince Charles is a patron and Prince William volunteered in Chile with them, so hopefully they should be fine...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    IVHQ is much cheaper than those two and I've heard really good things about them. I'm most likely going to go with them to volunteer at an orphanage in India! I'll probably be applying within the week! :eek: :woo:

Another one I've heard a lot about is Original Volunteers. They're cheaper too and the projects look really good.

Here's one more site- this one is a massive directory of travel organisations for volunteering, tours, adventure holidays and all sorts. It requires a lot of sifting, and some of the organisations here are less well-known, so remember to research them.

Hope this helps! Where are you thinking of going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyhoot)
    IVHQ is much cheaper than those two and I've heard really good things about them. I'm most likely going to go with them to volunteer at an orphanage in India! I'll probably be applying within the week! :eek: :woo:

Another one I've heard a lot about is Original Volunteers. They're cheaper too and the projects look really good.

Here's one more site- this one is a massive directory of travel organisations for volunteering, tours, adventure holidays and all sorts. It requires a lot of sifting, and some of the organisations here are less well-known, so remember to research them.

Hope this helps! Where are you thinking of going?

Thanks alot
    I heard about original volunteers too but heard they are not very supporting that is why they are so cheap.
    I am planning to go to India too :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c101)
    Thanks alot
    I heard about original volunteers too but heard they are not very supporting that is why they are so cheap.
    I am planning to go to India too :yes:
    Then maybe IVHQ is your best bet if you want to work with people (I want to do orphanage work). Their support is really good- they aim to answer all enquiries within 48 hours, which I know is true since I asked them for a preregistration booklet and they sent me one the next day.

Children Walking Tall is a program in Goa. They don't charge anything, so you have to organise your own food and accommodation. It's really popular too and there aren't many places left; depends when you want to go.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Real Gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    Real Gap.
    Real Gap are overpriced and are actually owned by Thomas Cook! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'd second IVHQ (the link posted above had a typo, so here it is in case you haven't found it). I haven't used them myself, but someone on here recommended it sometime ago. It looks really good. I've been looking into it, really wanted to do something last year, but just never got round to it. I'm hoping I might actually get my arse into gear this year and do something. Teaching in Kenya is what I'd probably go for, but there are loads to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    Real Gap is a scam.

BUNAC is where it's at.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend IVHQ too, I'm going to Vietnam with them in June and they've been great answering questions and stuff really quickly

Real Gap is a massive ripoff

ReputationRep:
    how in advance do you have to book the IVHQ things?

ReputationRep:
    Hey

BUNAC are a good, well respected company that offers work and volunteer abroad programs. There volunteer ones offer china, india, parts africa, USA (work in like grand canyon), peru to name a few.

I really want to do Teach and Travel China you get to do a TEFL course over in shanghai and then you are placed at a school - looks amazing. planning that for after graduatio.

The soccer camp South Africa also looks well cool, except I cant play football...so thats a problem!

They do lots of other ones too, just cant remember. They are not for profit org so prices are kept low. I have done summer camp USA with them and they were really good. I am going back again this year, and hopefully china in 2011

Anyway check them out and good luck choosing where to go! hard decision with all the options!

ReputationRep:
    Cheaper does not always mean better.

ReputationRep:
    yeah you are right cheaper dosnt mean better. but bunac arent relaly cheap, just good value for money. You still need to pay the program costs, which vary from program to program, but you do get a lot in return

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaScotland)
    Hey

BUNAC are a good, well respected company that offers work and volunteer abroad programs. There volunteer ones offer china, india, parts africa, USA (work in like grand canyon), peru to name a few.

I really want to do Teach and Travel China you get to do a TEFL course over in shanghai and then you are placed at a school - looks amazing. planning that for after graduatio.

The soccer camp South Africa also looks well cool, except I cant play football...so thats a problem!

They do lots of other ones too, just cant remember. They are not for profit org so prices are kept low. I have done summer camp USA with them and they were really good. I am going back again this year, and hopefully china in 2011

Anyway check them out and good luck choosing where to go! hard decision with all the options!
    I agree with you!

I haven't done any experience with them so far but will be applying when I've graduated. It sounds great and it's always best to go with a recommended company rather than one you've not heard of before!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.