Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

spilt beer on my laptop watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i was wondering if you tech-savvy and knowledgable people could give me a hand

basically, last night i spilt about a shots worth, maybe a little bit more, of beer on my laptop keyboard. i popped on here and did a search, and it suggested that i let it all dry out and hopefully itll be fine in the morning

well, its the morning, and here is the damage i have discovered so far

1. neither of the shift keys work
    the insert and delete buttons dont work
    the up button doesnt work
    the left button and the backspace key dont work properly, they are sticky, so when you tap it, there is a delay and then it does it multiple times until you press anothther key, aslthogh they dont feel sticky
    the mousepad andbuttons dont work at all
    meaning i have to tab everywhere, and with the shift button not working, i cant tab backwards

so, is there ny hope left for my laptop/ or do i need to look into buying a new oen
    i have a warrenty on this one, btu im presuming that damage due to beer being spilt on it doesnt cover it

sorry for the bad spelling and english, due to my lacok lack of backspace, which seems to have totally packed in whilst typing this, i havnt bee able to correct myself

any help will be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    Nope. My sister spilled beer on hers (entire can nearly), and hers was ***********. Warranty didn't cover it and they wanted... lemme say it right; £450 to fix it.

Buy a new laptop, or live with the damage. Sucks the word.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you could change your keyboard. The motherboard seems to be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Waddya know, perma-fvkked is blocked out completely.

ReputationRep:
    well you can usually get the keyboard out of a laptop by taking the back off and various parts out or sometimes just by unclipping the casing. Sliding something like a plectrum around the edges of the casing can loosen the clips - i'd clean the keyboard or at least attempt to before buying a new laptop

If you're not happy with this, it might be worth getting someone to do it for you - probably cvost you about £30 which is alot cheaper than a new laptop

ReputationRep:
    well im not very technology-savvy, but a couple of weeks ago i spilt water all over my laptop keyboard, and it wouldn't work full stop. i took it to the repair guy, and he said that the main problem when you spill drinks is that it can affect the hardrive. as it happens, i only spilt water, so my laptop worked fine after a couple of days of drying out. the guy said that if you spill something sticky (like beer) its a lot more problematic as it leaves a residue behind, which I'm guessing is what has happened to yours. But at least it's on and working. I would suggest to take it to a repair guy, and get him to take a look. All you'll probably need to do is replace the keys that aren't working. You've been quite lucky, apparently its really common for computers to not turn on at all if drinks are spilt on them.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't afford a repair or a new laptop, you can use a usb one for the time being if it's just the keyboard that's damaged? I spilt a latte on my laptop, and thankfully it was just the keyboard that was damaged!

ReputationRep:
    If the only things broken are keys on the keyboard then thank yourself lucky. If it was the motherboard that had shorted, you'd be looking at a hefty job, and would probably find it easier and cheaper to just buy a new laptop.

As it happens, you can just replace the keyboard. Now, you've already found out that you've voided the warranty. You can usually order keyboards for them from the manufacturer's web-site (have a browse). Then you've got two options: the keyboard usually unscrews separately from underneath, then you can clean the laptop with a moist (not soaking wet) soapy cloth to get rid of the sticky beer left behind, and replace the keyboard; or you can take it to a repair shop for them to do it. I recommend the latter in your case.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Your laptop is drunk, and now it does weird things. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I fixed mine myself...
    I spilt Coke all over my laptop keyboard.
    I took out the keys... cleaned the inside..
    and fixed them back up..
    long and tiring process though.
    Especially fixing the keys back in.

ReputationRep:
    It's sticky stuff, beer, when it dries.

It would seem that damage is minimal, from what you've written. You should open it and and give it a clean - I would use a moist cotton bud ('q-tip') to remove any sticky residue and the give it a blow with some compressed air.

Search the internet for instructions on how to remove the keyboard from your laptop. They keyboard should be the easiest area to clean, as removing it doesn't require you to open the casing in most cases.

For now, I'd buy a portable mouse (unless you're going to clean/repair it immediately) - it would be handy even when your laptop is working perfectly.

If you're worried about doing a bad job, have someone else do it. Fixing the keys back into place can be tricky, especially the space bar.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I really haven't got anything useful to add, just that i'm reminded of this song:

(OP, hope your laptop is ok).

ReputationRep:
    If all else fails above you could just get yourself a USB mouse and keyboard, for around 20 quid.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.