Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say dead. Not yet.

But its certianly dying. In the UK it has been since it started being used mainly as a religious tool.

Amongst the younger generations I think it has switched from not being christian being uncommon to be christian being uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and Islam = alive big time

ReputationRep:
    I think in the UK there isnt such a need for God- people prefer to focus on materialism, and feel that science explains how the world is, that is it.

But for some, there is more to life than that. I used to be a Christian, and I have a lot of respect for the people in my church, as they were really passionate and devoted their life (and i just couldnt do it.) But as there are Christians in the UK, its not dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    No it's wierd. Its like I actually feel like I have some reason to exist. I've got anxiety problems and it's helped more than anything else

I don't know maybe ! I'm doing philosophy and Im agnostic so i'm not going to argue the case of christianity when i'm not a christian haha :p:

Fair enough if it helps you. It just seems really illogical. Everyone bases everything else on logic. But when it comes to religion it's faith?! Like maybe I should stop going to work and just have faith that everything will be alright. Except I know it won't...... Just seems strange to me.

But yeah, if it helps you with a problem then fair enough. It's like drinking. I know it's bad for me but I still drink cos it's fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    You don't need to have a religion to be happy.
    To be hoonest it answers questions that irritate me ever 5 minutes and it stops me from worrying all the time so yeah, I do for the moment lol

It would be nice to be religious or atheist and not confused in the middle

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely declining in the UK. However, in parts of Asia it's seeing a meteoric rise. Not much chance of it dying out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Fair enough if it helps you. It just seems really illogical. Everyone bases everything else on logic. But when it comes to religion it's faith?! Like maybe I should stop going to work and just have faith that everything will be alright. Except I know it won't...... Just seems strange to me.

But yeah, if it helps you with a problem then fair enough. It's like drinking. I know it's bad for me but I still drink cos it's fun
    Lol yeah I need to cut back on the drinking, maybe this will help haha
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    If Christianity in the UK is dead, who are the several hundred people who attent the same chruch as me every Sunday? And who are the 1000+ people who go to this massive Church in this city every Sunday? Who are the people who started up a new church a couple of months back? How are the other hundreds of other people who go to church each week in the few dozen other churches across this city?

I think CofE church attendance is dropping still, but other churches are growing as well. I also saw some official stats that said whilst overall attendance was down slightly in a recent month, there was actually an increase in attendance amongst young people.

(Just a word of warning too, that thread iamkund linked to had an argument full of holes with it's logic )

ReputationRep:
    Christianity has been pretty much dead in the UK since I was born, probably long before that too.

Most Christians do a job of separating their faith from their reality. I'd expect people that really believed there was an omnipotent being and they had communication with it, to act very differently. I don't know if there's ever been lots of Christians like that, maybe just in rural areas.

I think bible-belt Christians are strange, they want guns to protect themselves from their government, yet they can't murder anyone... what are they going to shoot at?

ReputationRep:
    not dead but definitely declining.

ReputationRep:
    OP, how do you live in South London and not know any Christians? I thought there'd be quite a lot there? Anyway, yeah, I do think Christianity is dying, I mean think back to how prominent it was a few centuries ago. Because of the bible, sex before marriage, unmarried mothers and homosexuality were seen as very sinful behaviour in society, but these days nearly everybody is doing those things and nobody really bats an eyelid. Also, I know a few of my friends are Christians, but I don't think the majority are. I am also Christian, but I have been questioning it lately, what with my depression problem and seeing all the suffering and evil and chaos that goes on in the world. Though, that could be the fault of humans, and God punishing us, but who knows really? I admit it's not 100% clear whether God exists or not, but for know I'll just assume that he does, just because it gives me comfort to pray to someone when times are rough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    If Christianity in the UK is dead, who are the several hundred people who attent the same chruch as me every Sunday? And who are the 1000+ people who go to this massive Church in this city every Sunday? Who are the people who started up a new church a couple of months back? How are the other hundreds of other people who go to church each week in the few dozen other churches across this city?

I think CofE church attendance is dropping still, but other churches are growing as well. I also saw some official stats that said whilst overall attendance was down slightly in a recent month, there was actually an increase in attendance amongst young people.

(Just a word of warning too, that thread iamkund linked to had an argument full of holes with it's logic )
    This is what I'm asking, as I haven't seen any proof of this.

So why exactly do you believe in God? Do you believe in evolution?

ReputationRep:
    Convert to Catholicism
    It's the way forward...tellin ya!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Christian, and not dead yet apparently! I don't know, I'd say that it's less prevalent and less dominant, but I wouldn't say that this has been a bad thing for the church at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wardy23)
    Fingers crossed it won't be Islam that takes its place.
    Lol, well it's hardly going to be Catholicism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OP, how do you live in South London and not know any Christians? I thought there'd be quite a lot there? Anyway, yeah, I do think Christianity is dying, I mean think back to how prominent it was a few centuries ago. Because of the bible, sex before marriage, unmarried mothers and homosexuality were seen as very sinful behaviour in society, but these days nearly everybody is doing those things and nobody really bats an eyelid. Also, I know a few of my friends are Christians, but I don't think the majority are. I am also Christian, but I have been questioning it lately, what with my depression problem and seeing all the suffering and evil and chaos that goes on in the world. Though, that could be the fault of humans, and God punishing us, but who knows really? I admit it's not 100% clear whether God exists or not, but for know I'll just assume that he does, just because it gives me comfort to pray to someone when times are rough.
    Why would you assume there are loads of christians here? There's a lot more Muslims than Christians. I live not far from Wimbledon & I hardly see any people outside the Churches here (altough I don't really hang around near churches) and I don't personally know any Christians (I mean proper Christians. I know some people who say they're Christian but don't actually follow anything that's said in the bible or go to church)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Why would you assume there are loads of christians here? There's a lot more Muslims than Christians. I live not far from Wimbledon & I hardly see any people outside the Churches here (altough I don't really hang around near churches) and I don't personally know any Christians (I mean proper Christians. I know some people who say they're Christian but don't actually follow anything that's said in the bible or go to church)
    All right, fair enough. It's just that I live near South London, I've seen a lot of churches around and seems very Christian like. Although, I know there are a lot of non-Christians too. Anyway, don't worry about me I guess you'd know more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    All right, fair enough. It's just that I live near South London, I've seen a lot of churches around and seems very Christian like. Although, I know there are a lot of non-Christians too. Anyway, don't worry about me I guess you'd know more.
    I don't though, which is why I'm asking. So you notice a lot of Christians around your area? Are you at all Christian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I'm agnostic but i'm considering converting

I know loooaaads of christians and they all seem really happy and don't hassle anyone to convert

And of course theres loads of catholics I know too

So no, I would not say dead
    If the first line is related to the middle I would suggest thinking not about how happy the people in the belief are and instead about if you think it happens to be true or not, if the sources are bias or not and if so in what way etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    If the first line is related to the middle I would suggest thinking not about how happy the people in the belief are and instead about if you think it happens to be true or not, if the sources are bias or not and if so in what way etc.
    Yeah I know I think I phrased it wrong lol. I know I wont be happier just by having a belief but having a purpose thanks to this belief must make some people happy ll

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.