The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Steezy
This is what I'm asking, as I haven't seen any proof of this.

So why exactly do you believe in God? Do you believe in evolution?

Why not go to a church on a Sunday morning and see people going in? (I don't mean you have to go in yourself if you don't want to :wink:). Not every church has large numbers of people, but many do.

Why do I believe in God? Because the world doesn't make sense not to have a God and by background in maths and science can explain to my how the world works, but not why it works or how it came about. I don't buy the arguments that science explains away the need for the idea of a God either. If anything science explains to us just how miraculous the universe it and how unlikely it is to just puff in to existence in a cloud of smoke (or rather a big bang) with no input from anywhere as some people who say God doesn't exist expect us to believe.

[Note - I'm not saying that the big bang didn't happen - in fact I think it's the mostly likely explanaition of how the universe was created, but it just doesn't explain why it happened and science can't do that.)

As for evolution, I think it's quite probably a correct theory of how life has changed on Earth.
Reply 41
It's not dead but it's on the decline. I still go to a packed out Catholic Church every Sunday.
Reply 42
I think it's dying, but unless I'm mistaken, it's still the main religion in the UK.

However, I think of the people who would still term themselves Christian, the majority aren't that devout about it.

In 50 years it'll be dead, as all the older people who still believe die, and the younger more sceptical types don't replace them. Which I don't have a problem with. Apart from that some churches look kinda impressive, and it'd be a shame for them to go to waste.
Reply 43
yes i know i'm doing a philosophy degree

and my point is, the IDEA makes me happy, real or not, so it must make SOME christians happy too

i'm not even a christian !
Not dead yet.

However the traditional views on Christianity are gone. The traditional loyalty and reliance on Christianity in a child's life and in a family (the nuclear family) died out over 30 years ago, or at least started to die out.

I am a Christian and I think that by the time our generation (people now between the ages of 16 and 28 I would say) are elderly, views on Christianity and the role of Christianity in this country will have changed even more.

Back in the 50's and 60's and even before it played a large part, however it wasn't really on the scale it was over in the USA where there are still prominent churches and people born into fundamentally Christian run families.

But here that belief and that way of life has been slipping for a long time.
Whats this obsession with truth anyway? Is it so important to be 100% sure of things in life? If any of you do philosophy its pretty much guarenteed that nothing is ever definitively 'true' anyway
Steezy
1. because I don't trust the sources from which the 'bible' comes from (e.g. CofE was created by Henry the 8th so he could legally divorce)

This isn't true. Read some history.
Only 17% of the population attend church regularly (i.e., once a month or more).
Reply 48
I got an a in higher rmps which was basically all aboiut buddism, I did consider it but having no possetions is :frown:

First year lol, but I love it. And my brain forces me to be sad! It's a fact lol :|
Ronar
I got an a in higher rmps which was basically all aboiut buddism, I did consider it but having no possetions is :frown:

First year lol, but I love it. And my brain forces me to be sad! It's a fact lol :|

Buddhism =/= having no possessions. Try True Pure Land Buddhism or something - IMO, that's the most positive religion I've ever come across.
Reply 50
Well... yes Protestant Christianity scares me too!

Steezy
Religion - particularly christianity (particulary CofE) - scares me.

1. because I don't trust the sources from which the 'bible' comes from (e.g. CofE was created by Henry the 8th so he could legally divorce)
...and the CofE (and other Protestant denominations) rejected the historical dogma and doctrines of Christ taught in the Catholic Church which aren't found in the Bible. This also explains why the Protestant "churches" cannot speak with one authoritative voice, and often misrepresent the "Church" teaching. Listen to the Pope.

2. because in my experience, christians are very strange people and I can't understand this blind belief in something they have no proof for.
Liberal Christians, yes. But have you experienced more than one denomination? Granted SSPX are whackos, as are most of the Bible-bashers in Texas, but your usual high-Church Catholic or middle-of-the-road CofE churchman would be absolutely "normal."

Street preachers tend to be deluded and I like arguing with them :smile:

I'm a reasonably spiritual person - I'm agnostic - so I believe there is something, but it is probably unimagineable to us (we're really not that clever!). But I liken belief in religion to the blind trust in a government. I just don't trust it!

If you find a religion you think is stable, wonderful :smile:

I don't personally know any Christians & I'm wondering how many are actually left in England? Would like to hear your point of view regarding your belief.

Quite a few - but quite rightly observed, the Protestant churches are dying off, yet the Catholic Church continues to grow, especially with the awaited influx of Catholic-minded Anglicans who cannot accept female "bishops"

I think you'll find plenty of posts written by me about the Catholic Faith. Those are both my beliefs, and the Church's - nothing added and nothing taken away. You'll get more of a varied response from Methodists/CofE/Lutherans/Baptists etc
Reply 51
ForeverIsMyName
This isn't true. Read some history.

Actually, that is the long and short of the reason of the existance of the CofE!

The Pope refused Henry VIII an annulment (which is in accordance with Church teachings), so the king went and formed his own church, immediately excommunicating himself from the Catholic Church in doing so.
Reply 52
john87
in b4 this thread turns into a thread about Islam

You were about a minute too slow. Unlucky.
Reply 53
Yeah nothing is permanent..aww it's all returning to me now! I like the dammapada it has nice philosophies
Reply 54
Bear_faced_liar
I was brought up by a modern Christian family, and everytime i suggested Darwin weas real, my parents would beat me, because Darwin was actually a massive troll. So you all fail

Darwins theory is rubbish if we all came from Africa why are we all different colours does not make any sense and if you read about him he was a bit nuts a eurenic
Spacecam
Actually, that is the long and short of the reason of the existance of the CofE!

The Pope refused Henry VIII an annulment (which is in accordance with Church teachings), so the king went and formed his own church, immediately excommunicating himself from the Catholic Church in doing so.

There was still a strong reformist movement in England before the King's marriage upset. And that doesn't cover every Protestant church either, so it's a very weak point to be honest.
Reply 56
Nick_000
Lol, well it's hardly going to be Catholicism.

You'd be surprised!

Once Rome has sorted out the internal conflicts in the Church, which are a result of a pontificate that went on far too long and an incapaciated pontiff, the Church will be strong enough to grow - but before that happens, there must be solidification and reitieration of the "Catholic Identity."

Give it another ten years and Catholicism will re-exert itself. It already is amongst young people, most of whom tend to be traditionally minded rather than the female-prevalent happy clappy and "Jesus loves us" mentality.
Reply 57
iwilson03
There was still a strong reformist movement in England before the King's marriage upset. And that doesn't cover every Protestant church either, so it's a very weak point to be honest.

Yes there was, but Henry VIII established the CofE - hence Established Church. There was indeed a strong reformist movement. Had the CofE not been founded, it probably would have been Lutheran. But the point of your statement I corrected is that Henry VIII created the CofE so he could have his annulment and supreme governance over "his" church, free from political ties to the Vatican.

Protestantism won't last anyway in my opinion, and it misrepresents the teachings of Christ. All a confused mess.
Reply 58
littlewolf
Darwins theory is rubbish if we all came from Africa why are we all different colours does not make any sense and if you read about him he was a bit nuts a eurenic

So, your explanation please? Why ARE we different colours? Because 'God' made us that way?

Please.
Reply 59
Spacecam
You'd be surprised!

Once Rome has sorted out the internal conflicts in the Church, which are a result of a pontificate that went on far too long and an incapaciated pontiff, the Church will be strong enough to grow - but before that happens, there must be solidification and reitieration of the "Catholic Identity."

Give it another ten years and Catholicism will re-exert itself. It already is amongst young people, most of whom tend to be traditionally minded rather than the female-prevalent happy clappy and "Jesus loves us" mentality.

So another 10 years and we can expect the inquisitions and crusades you're so fond of. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending