Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear_faced_liar)
    I was brought up by a modern Christian family, and everytime i suggested Darwin weas real, my parents would beat me, because Darwin was actually a massive troll. So you all fail
    Darwins theory is rubbish if we all came from Africa why are we all different colours does not make any sense and if you read about him he was a bit nuts a eurenic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Actually, that is the long and short of the reason of the existance of the CofE!

The Pope refused Henry VIII an annulment (which is in accordance with Church teachings), so the king went and formed his own church, immediately excommunicating himself from the Catholic Church in doing so.
    There was still a strong reformist movement in England before the King's marriage upset. And that doesn't cover every Protestant church either, so it's a very weak point to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Lol, well it's hardly going to be Catholicism.
    You'd be surprised!

Once Rome has sorted out the internal conflicts in the Church, which are a result of a pontificate that went on far too long and an incapaciated pontiff, the Church will be strong enough to grow - but before that happens, there must be solidification and reitieration of the "Catholic Identity."

Give it another ten years and Catholicism will re-exert itself. It already is amongst young people, most of whom tend to be traditionally minded rather than the female-prevalent happy clappy and "Jesus loves us" mentality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    There was still a strong reformist movement in England before the King's marriage upset. And that doesn't cover every Protestant church either, so it's a very weak point to be honest.
    Yes there was, but Henry VIII established the CofE - hence Established Church. There was indeed a strong reformist movement. Had the CofE not been founded, it probably would have been Lutheran. But the point of your statement I corrected is that Henry VIII created the CofE so he could have his annulment and supreme governance over "his" church, free from political ties to the Vatican.

Protestantism won't last anyway in my opinion, and it misrepresents the teachings of Christ. All a confused mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlewolf)
    Darwins theory is rubbish if we all came from Africa why are we all different colours does not make any sense and if you read about him he was a bit nuts a eurenic
    So, your explanation please? Why ARE we different colours? Because 'God' made us that way?

Please.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised!

Once Rome has sorted out the internal conflicts in the Church, which are a result of a pontificate that went on far too long and an incapaciated pontiff, the Church will be strong enough to grow - but before that happens, there must be solidification and reitieration of the "Catholic Identity."

Give it another ten years and Catholicism will re-exert itself. It already is amongst young people, most of whom tend to be traditionally minded rather than the female-prevalent happy clappy and "Jesus loves us" mentality.
    So another 10 years and we can expect the inquisitions and crusades you're so fond of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    So another 10 years and we can expect the inquisitions and crusades you're so fond of.
    Not you again :rolleyes:

Do some reading.

ReputationRep:
    Yes there was, but Henry VIII established the CofE - hence Established Church. There was indeed a strong reformist movement. Had the CofE not been founded, it probably would have been Lutheran. But the point of your statement I corrected is that Henry VIII created the CofE so he could have his annulment and supreme governance over "his" church, free from political ties to the Vatican.

Protestantism won't last anyway in my opinion, and it misrepresents the teachings of Christ. All a confused mess.
    Yeah but it's no good trying to belittle Protestantism by only looking to the trigger cause for the founding of the church of England. There was a host of other factors as well, hence why Henry VIII was so quick to move to the idea of an independent church - his advisors told him It'd be a good idea. If there wasn't a mood for reform then it never would have happened.

And religion in general is a confused mess.

ReputationRep:
    Not you again :rolleyes:

Do some reading.
    What would you recommend?

I was referring to your personal opinions on such activities not the churches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Yeah but it's no good trying to belittle Protestantism by only looking to the trigger cause for the founding of the church of England. There was a host of other factors as well, hence why Henry VIII was so quick to move to the idea of an independent church - his advisors told him It'd be a good idea. If there wasn't a mood for reform then it never would have happened.

And religion in general is a confused mess.
    I'm not trying to do that! I was responding to a point about the Church of England - and you have turned it on its head so as to make it appear I was talking about any denomination.

Henry insisted he was a "Catholic until death" despite his state of excommunication.

I'm not going to continue on this line as you are warping what I say and we are going in circles.

ReputationRep:
    That's not why protestantism is dying out in this country. The 'confused mess' survived well enough up until the twentieth century. It's our modern way of life that's causing a decline in religion, not a sense that protestantism is misrepresentative of the teachings of Christ. At any rate when Henry set up the C of E very little changed in the short run, it was pretty much catholicism by another name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    What would you recommend?

I was referring to your personal opinions on such activities not the churches.
    The Catechism of the Catholic Church

Salt of the Earth: The Church at the End of the Millennium

Introduction To Christianity

Truth And Tolerance

ReputationRep:
    I personally prefer to have a world with a bit of mysticism in it because having total disenchantment sounds freaking boring and bleak to me. A little faith is nice, as long as it isn't destructive, doesn't totally distract you from reality and generally makes you a better person.
    I'd like to believe that there is something out there and I know it is illogical but it doesn't stop me from believing because I am aware it is not 'realistic' and I am okay with that.
    The problem people have with some religious people is that they are not okay if you say it isn't real, they go into some sort of defense, "I believe in it, so by you saying that it doesn't exist, you are calling me a liar, DAMN YOU TO HELL YOU DEVIL WORSHIPPER" and the problem with some atheists is that they wont accept that some people like to have a bit of mysticism in their life and jump to the conclusion that because they have some belief they are instantly retarded and need to be told about the scientific evidence that totally proves that what their believe doesn't exist. I personally don't see my beliefs as the truth, only something that makes sense to me and my world. I guess you can call it the philosophy of my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    That's not why protestantism is dying out in this country. The 'confused mess' survived well enough up until the twentieth century. It's our modern way of life that's causing a decline in religion, not a sense that protestantism is misrepresentative of the teachings of Christ. At any rate when Henry set up the C of E very little changed in the short run, it was pretty much catholicism by another name.
    Yep - but its immense diversification and inconsistancies and despair to "keep with the times" is leading to it becoming almost unrecognisable from what it once was.

I just wish that the Oxford Movement had achieved more.

ReputationRep:
    I only know of Christians in south Wales, no where else.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to do that! I was responding to a point about the Church of England - and you have turned it on its head so as to make it appear I was talking about any denomination.

Henry insisted he was a "Catholic until death" despite his state of excommunication.

I'm not going to continue on this line as you are warping what I say and we are going in circles.
    I realise what you are saying, but you originally said, "Actually, that is the long and short of the reason of the existance of the CofE! "

When clearly it is not, the CofE could not have happened without the reformist movement. That is like claiming the First World War only happened because of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.

ReputationRep:
    God is the epicentre of ultra realism. It is the realm where people go to reincarnate and come back dead. If ever there was a controversy about christianity, it's about to hit soon. The world is in for quite a treat as far as a few overly zealous people from mentioned realm and they are coming to turn the World of Realms inside out. The sun is a hurculean mass of gas but in the State of Realms it is really only comparable to a candle flame. I'm sure microscopic organisms think a candle flame is pretty powerful, and rightly so - one step into it and they enter the realm of Black - a very accurate place as defined by hawkings (although I disagree humans go there) a.k.a death.

I'm a christian but I'm not the nonsensical happy clapper that pretends to be someone they know nothing about and who throw their beliefs in peoples faces telling them they're going to hell.

I'm not a catholic.

Just like all scientists base their faith (theory really) on observation...so do I.

Only, there is proof and we are that proof.

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    I personally prefer to have a world with a bit of mysticism in it because having total disenchantment sounds freaking boring and bleak to me. A little faith is nice, as long as it isn't destructive, doesn't totally distract you from reality and generally makes you a better person.
    I'd like to believe that there is something out there and I know it is illogical but it doesn't stop me from believing because I am aware it is not 'realistic' and I am okay with that.
    The problem people have with some religious people is that they are not okay if you say it isn't real, they go into some sort of defense, "I believe in it, so by you saying that it doesn't exist, you are calling me a liar, DAMN YOU TO HELL YOU DEVIL WORSHIPPER" and the problem with some atheists is that they wont accept that some people like to have a bit of mysticism in their life and jump to the conclusion that because they have some belief they are instantly retarded and need to be told about the scientific evidence that totally proves that what their believe doesn't exist. I personally don't see my beliefs as the truth, only something that makes sense to me and my world. I guess you can call it the philosophy of my life
    ^^^ that there is the only kind of deistic belief which I can respect to be honest, individual spirituality is perfectly fine in my opinion because it doesn't seek to tell people how to live their lives and doesn't impose any kind of dogma on another person.

ReputationRep:
    Well it seems in my school, we learn about every religion other than christianity.
    Perhaps it needs to be taught more, like it was in primary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I don't personally know any Christians & I'm wondering how many are actually left in England?
    There are 27 exactly.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.