Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    I personally prefer to have a world with a bit of mysticism in it because having total disenchantment sounds freaking boring and bleak to me. A little faith is nice, as long as it isn't destructive, doesn't totally distract you from reality and generally makes you a better person.
    I'd like to believe that there is something out there and I know it is illogical but it doesn't stop me from believing because I am aware it is not 'realistic' and I am okay with that.
    The problem people have with some religious people is that they are not okay if you say it isn't real, they go into some sort of defense, "I believe in it, so by you saying that it doesn't exist, you are calling me a liar, DAMN YOU TO HELL YOU DEVIL WORSHIPPER" and the problem with some atheists is that they wont accept that some people like to have a bit of mysticism in their life and jump to the conclusion that because they have some belief they are instantly retarded and need to be told about the scientific evidence that totally proves that what their believe doesn't exist. I personally don't see my beliefs as the truth, only something that makes sense to me and my world. I guess you can call it the philosophy of my life
    So why not be agnostic? Would you say you're christian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skarbo)
    There are 27 exactly.

Are they all in a mental asylum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsAllTheWay)
    Just like all scientists base their faith (theory really) on observation...so do I.

Only, there is proof and we are that proof.

lol
    Isn't that just proof that we think we are here? Not that the magic kettle made 'us'?

ReputationRep:
    There are 27 exactly.

+the 250 in my church.

ReputationRep:
    Ibaoi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Are they all in a mental asylum?
    Is that what they're calling church these days?
    (Original post by Ren La La)
    +the 250 in my church.
    No that can't possibly be right. I counted the entire population three times over.

ReputationRep:
    Is that what they're calling church these days?

No that can't possibly be right. I counted the entire population three times over.
    Might as well be. Atleast the people in mental asylums have interesting stories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Isn't that just proof that we think we are here? Not that the magic kettle made 'us'?
    If by a definition of proof, that existence is subliminal chaos in a sentinel state, and this 'magic kettle' is unlike all other magic kettles in a state of absolute reality and not-as-much-hypothetical then I think it would be beyond my even notion of thinking ability and encompassed intellect that an inevitable event of explosion and dissimilar helices of language and machination prove to be in adept autonomy- I think then, and only then, you might, possibly, maybe, unequivocally be hinting to a form of a really inconvenient truth. (pun intended)

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there are many Christians who could list 10 facts about Christianity or the Bible let alone have read the Bible.

ReputationRep:
    I don't though, which is why I'm asking. So you notice a lot of Christians around your area? Are you at all Christian?
    Yes, I am Christian, I said in my earlier post. I know a lot of Christians in my area, and also a lot more non Christians. I live in Bromley by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I doubt there are many Christians who could list 10 facts about Christianity or the Bible let alone have read the Bible.
    Asking a 'Christian' the 10 commandments is almost always funny

ReputationRep:
    Although, in a more serious tone, if we are wrong, and Christ does exist, then it is regretabble and unfortunate that we will miss out on the perfect kind of happiness - a life spent with the most intelligent creator ever.

ReputationRep:
    Although, in a more serious tone, if we are wrong, and Christ does exist, then it is regretabble and unfortunate that we will miss out on the perfect kind of happiness - a life spent with the most intelligent creator ever.
    Why do this with Christ and not the FSM, or any other deity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Asking a 'Christian' the 10 commandments is almost always funny

Why? Is is the not covetting your neighbour's ass?

ReputationRep:
    ...only if you chose to turn your back on God would that happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    No, its not dead. Dying, yes. Give it 50 years and it will be interesting to see if it is still the dominant religion.
    "In 100 years the Bible will be forgotten and eliminated." - Voltaire. On this, he was wrong and so are you.
    OP, no, Christianity's not dead in this country. Around half my friends sincerely believe in it, go to church every week etc. It's declined certainly, but it's nowhere near 'dead'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    ^^^ that there is the only kind of deistic belief which I can respect to be honest, individual spirituality is perfectly fine in my opinion because it doesn't seek to tell people how to live their lives and doesn't impose any kind of dogma on another person.
    Thanks That was my aim, I saw how people pushed religion in other people's faces and I just thought, no why must spirituality have to be so fixated on everyone else, surely it is all about the individual, inner peace and finding that balance between your wants, your needs and what is good.

So why not be agnostic? Would you say you're christian?
    I wouldn't call myself a follower of any religion to be honest. I prefer not putting a label on what I am because then I then have to feel obligated to conform to the ideas that have been attached to the label. If that makes sense:p:.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I'm still pissed Paganism died out. However, I don't think Christianity as a whole is dead. Evangelical branches are popping up all over the place, and my aunty was telling me the other day how whenever she drives by the Catholic and Mormon Church on a Sunday their carpark is full, whilst her CofE Church is more than half empty. Imo, people don't really care much for the "truth", only what they want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Christian Indonesian (yes, such people do exist, even in a Muslim country like Indonesia).

Forgive me for my ignorance about the history of Christianity in the UK & the CoE, but to me, being a Christian means having a relationship with God, whatever denomination you may come from. That's why I listen to sermons, pray and sing songs of praise & worship - to build my relationship and faith.

My guess for why people think Christianity is 'dead' (I don't think it is, by the way) in the UK is because people are becoming dissatisfied in the faith. Maybe it's the politics that we sometimes read in the papers/hear ourselves, or maybe it's the feeling that there's no reason to be a Christian anymore -they are bored/disheartened/etc.

Another possible reason could be that it just doesn't fit into people's mentality & lifestyle anymore. After all, we are talking about a secular society, so some of the things written in the Bible might upset come people in society today, and some people prefer doing other things on a Sunday than going to church.

Whatever it is, at least there's religious freedom and tolerance in the UK. Even as a Christian, I don't think people should be forced into a religion - they should be allowed to choose for themselves, what they believe in.

Also, just wanted to say something about churches.

When I was studying in Singapore, I joined a church because the people there were welcoming, the pastor always came up with an inspiring message, and the music team would never fail to stir up the atmosphere. I guess I'm fortunate to have found another church here in Brighton that I enjoyed going to.

Every church has its negative points, be it people you don't like, the distance from your house, the service times, the age gap, etc. But the thing is, there is no such thing as a perfect church. After all, what is a church made up of? Ordinary people like you and I, who are equally capable of doing bad things. If you don't like a church, maybe you should try to engage in a way to make it better - give feedback, volunteer, have a chat with someone about what you have on your mind. A church is like a community - it's supposed to be interactive, not a weekly performance.

Just my thoughts!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It's basically based on fear. "Follow our morals or go to a place of torture for ETERNITY!!!!!"

Pfffff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.