Turn on thread page Beta

Christianity in UK = dead? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You don't need religion. Why does faith and religion have to be together?

Besides, we have witnessed in the past how people only mask their true intentions through religion. Take Henry the VIII, the Crusades, etc. as examples. Henry the VIII never really cared, he wanted a son and that was it. As for Crusades, it was all conquering distant lands.

It's a ridiculous idea, no wonder the idea of religion is fading in this modern society in which we live. It's archaic, and the Bible (which seems more like a fantasy book than anything else) has such a lack of transparency, and has been interpreted rather dangerously by fellow human beings in the past and present.

The Qur'an is exactly the same: that's why you have Muslim extremists (or rather, a bunch of psychologically damaged lunatics running around screaming verses of the aforementioned literature).

ReputationRep:
    Attendance in CofE churches is declining, but on the whole Christianity is not dead. No where near.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Thanks That was my aim, I saw how people pushed religion in other people's faces and I just thought, no why must spirituality have to be so fixated on everyone else, surely it is all about the individual, inner peace and finding that balance between your wants, your needs and what is good.

I wouldn't call myself a follower of any religion to be honest. I prefer not putting a label on what I am because then I then have to feel obligated to conform to the ideas that have been attached to the label. If that makes sense:p:.
    Yeah that makes sense & that's what I believe as well. That's why I'm agnostic. It basically means I can think whatever I want to, that humans don't know the answer & my guess is as good as anyones!

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe in George Carlin's view - THE BIG ELECTRON!

It doesn't judge, it doesn't hate, it doesn't love, it doesn't see, it isn't blind.......... It just IS. It doesn't need to be anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsAllTheWay)
    Although, in a more serious tone, if we are wrong, and Christ does exist, then it is regretabble and unfortunate that we will miss out on the perfect kind of happiness - a life spent with the most intelligent creator ever.
    tbh., this is one of my problems with organised religion.

I don't know if I can rebuke the hypothetical 'creator' like this, but if there is a god and an afterlife, I'd be fairly pissed at a god who chose to pick 'good' and 'bad' people based on whether or not they mixed fabrics of different origin or went and sang hymns one day a week in a pretty building, rather than how they lived their life and how they treated other people.

Obv. morality is fairly subjective, but I think what matters more than anything else is how you are in your life, not which rules you follow. Plus, I have a little bit of a problem believing that the guys who wrote the bible (and subsequently translating it) did so knowing exactly what the right rules to follow and not follow were.

I'm not religious. I'm possibly somewhere being agnostic and atheist; I wouldn't claim that there is definitely not a god, but to be honest, I kinda don't care if there is or isn't. What matters is how you live now, not whether or not you'll go somewhere in the possible next life. There were some people in the church I used to go to who were absolutely horrible, but because they occasionally donated to charity, were part of the parish 'team', didn't drink and didn't have sex before marriage, they thought that they'd got their free pass to heaven, and that's what frustrates me. What I think should matter is how you live, not what potential future you may have.

But back on topic: I don't know if it's dying, I certainly don't think it's dead - but people are questioning more. People are challenging what has always believed to be true, and religion is a part of that. And people are learning that you don't have to be religious to be good, which is quite nice. And I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    tbh., this is one of my problems with organised religion.

I don't know if I can rebuke the hypothetical 'creator' like this, but if there is a god and an afterlife, I'd be fairly pissed at a god who chose to pick 'good' and 'bad' people based on whether or not they mixed fabrics of different origin or went and sang hymns one day a week in a pretty building, rather than how they lived their life and how they treated other people.

Obv. morality is fairly subjective, but I think what matters more than anything else is how you are in your life, not which rules you follow. Plus, I have a little bit of a problem believing that the guys who wrote the bible (and subsequently translating it) did so knowing exactly what the right rules to follow and not follow were.

I'm not religious. I'm possibly somewhere being agnostic and atheist; I wouldn't claim that there is definitely not a god, but to be honest, I kinda don't care if there is or isn't. What matters is how you live now, not whether or not you'll go somewhere in the possible next life. There were some people in the church I used to go to who were absolutely horrible, but because they occasionally donated to charity, were part of the parish 'team', didn't drink and didn't have sex before marriage, they thought that they'd got their free pass to heaven, and that's what frustrates me. What I think should matter is how you live, not what potential future you may have.

But back on topic: I don't know if it's dying, I certainly don't think it's dead - but people are questioning more. People are challenging what has always believed to be true, and religion is a part of that. And people are learning that you don't have to be religious to be good, which is quite nice. And I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, either.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity...... I can't believe people believe their ancestors, who were stupid enough to think the earth was the centre of the universe...... These people were so stupid that they thought the sun, moon and everything else evolved around the earth. People like to think they're special, that a higher power made this 'superior' race, they couldn't find their answers through science but ahd to find answers through 'God' and other mystical creatures. Can you imagine how much more technologically advanced earth would be if it wasn't for some old **** in his 1 million BC hut coming up with the story of Jesus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    Christianity...... I can't believe people believe their ancestors, who were stupid enough to think the earth was the centre of the universe...... These people were so stupid that they thought the sun, moon and everything else evolved around the earth. People like to think they're special, that a higher power made this 'superior' race, they couldn't find their answers through science but ahd to find answers through 'God' and other mystical creatures. Can you imagine how much more technologically advanced earth would be if it wasn't for some old **** in his 1 million BC hut coming up with the story of Jesus?

There's actually historical proof of Jesus, more so than Julius Ceasar. And in the proof of Jesus, it proves him travelling around and having encounters with blind, lame people etc.

ReputationRep:
    religion will die off eventually.

just like every other irrational, illogical, and corrupt idea.

think positive, the world has gotten less religious in recent years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ren La La)
    There's actually historical proof of Jesus, more so than Julius Ceasar. And in the proof of Jesus, it proves him travelling around and having encounters with blind, lame people etc.
    That's ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    That's ********.

It's a well-known fact. Proven by scholars, historians and archaeologists , Christian and atheist alike, and it was on QI.

Not including Bible sources, the following people wrote about Jesus:
    * The Jewish historian Josephus (A.D. 37-100)

*Pliny the Younger, imperial Roman Legate of Bythynia - in a letter to Emperor Trajan in A.D. 112

*Tacitus - the important Roman historian

*Suetonius - a Roman historian who compiled a biography of the first twelve Roman emperors in his "Life of Claudius"

*Thallus and Julius Africanus in A.D. 52

*Mara bar Serpion

In addition, there are thousands upon thousands of archaeological findings that point to Jesus existence.

ReputationRep:
    It's a well-known fact. Proven by scholars, historians and archaeologists , Christian and atheist alike, and it was on QI.

*Pliny the Younger, imperial Roman Legate of Bythynia - in a letter to Emperor Trajan in A.D. 112

*Suetonius - a Roman historian who compiled a biography of the first twelve Roman emperors in his "Life of Claudius"

*Mara bar Serpion

In addition, there are thousands upon thousands of archaeological findings that point to Jesus existence.
    I think there are quite a few people who would agree that somebody named Jesus of Nazareth did indeed once walk the earth. What a lot of people struggle with is the concept that he was the son of 'God'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    I think there are quite a few people who would agree that somebody named Jesus of Nazareth did indeed once walk the earth. What a lot of people struggle with is the concept that he was the son of 'God'...

Oh, totally! I don't deny that's how many people. The original post I replied to claimed that somebody invented Jesus, which is false and why I was then challeneged to prove my claim that he existed.

ReputationRep:

*Mara bar Serpion

I was questioning the assertion that there is more historical proof of Jesus' existence than Julius Caesar's.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, totally! I don't deny that's how many people. The original post I replied to claimed that somebody invented Jesus, which is false and why I was then challeneged to prove my claim that he existed.
    Oh ok, cool :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    I was questioning the assertion that there is more historical proof of Jesus' existence than Julius Caesar's.

Well, there are thousands and thousands of pieces of evidence of both men, and I'm pretty sure these posts have a word limit on them!

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    lol. pick a sunday, visit a church like hillsongs in london, or westminster chapel in victoria and judge for yourself if its dead.

and for thise who say its dying around the world, you really need to check out Nigeria, eighth most populated country in the world and churches at every two minute drive (or less) brimming with people on sundays and throughout various midweek services.

oblivious to many, JESUS IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!! AND I LIKE IT, lol...

ReputationRep:
    To people who say there is no God, just want to hear your thoughts on what makes you guys so sure that there is no God.

My opinion is, there is definitely a God, as the creation by chance is not possible

One of the mathematicians worked out the chance of obtaining the required set of enzymes for even the simplest living cell was one in 10^40,000 and thats just one cell.

People might argue that its just one mathematician who claims that but still I cant imagine the perfect world that surrounds us came in existence by a chance. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    tyvm but I know perfectly well that Jesus' story was written by his disciples and passed on down the years. They just exaggerated it into a fairy tail.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Christianity is dying in general but it is in many Western societies where religion is a fringe-element in culture

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.