Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So...I'm just about to write an assignment on "How did psychology compete with psychoanalysis during its early development
    (up to 1930)?"

So far...I've looked at some early Freudian work and have described Psychoanalysis. I'm now a bit stuck on what to do next. Basically I need to describe how Psychology has adopted some theories from Psychoanalysis, and also the way Psychology has misinterpreted Psychoanalysis... followed by an evaluation of course!

Any pointers or relevant articles would be most helpful :o:

Corexe.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Psychoanalysis is part of psychology...

Unless they mean the diferent areas around at the time other than psychoanalysis?

ReputationRep:
    It's how Psychology basically disliked ideas of psychoanalysis, however still adopted some of them, and just basically comparing and contrasting...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ok here's a few points I can think of:
    - Freud and Darwin both changed the views of psychology drastically. You had Darwin saying we are mere improved versions of monkeys and Freud saying we are not moral and as seperate from animals as we thought, we're driven by the same drives as animals
    - Alot of Freuds 'sex stuff' wasn't exactly sex, psychology at the time took it too literally. The libido wasn't what we though of it as today, instead it was the drive for lfe, which sex did come under but not the whole thing.
    - Psychology in its early days was trying to push to be a solid science, for example the first true psychologist wanted to create a periodic table of human behaviour, with everyting set out deffinitevley, where as psychodynamics was all for the unconcious being unmeasurable and 'wild' if you will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    - Psychology in its early days was trying to push to be a solid science, for example the first true psychologist wanted to create a periodic table of human behaviour, with everyting set out deffinitevley, where as psychodynamics was all for the unconcious being unmeasurable and 'wild' if you will
    Not.. really.

Psychology as a science only really came about with the behaviourist reaction to inspectionism which really occured post 1930's.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all of your comments, however, this can now be closed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.