Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my final year studying Psychology, and am looking for a career in Forensics.

So far I have written up a covering letter which I am going to send to the following places: HM Prison Service, Police (in my area), and also GCHQ (as I live in Cheltenham).

Does anyone know any where else I can apply for either a forensic or psychology assistant position in and around Gloucestershire/South West?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corexe)
    I'm currently in my final year studying Psychology, and am looking for a career in Forensics.

So far I have written up a covering letter which I am going to send to the following places: HM Prison Service, Police (in my area), and also GCHQ (as I live in Cheltenham).

Does anyone know any where else I can apply for either a forensic or psychology assistant position in and around Gloucestershire/South West?

Thank you!
    You wont get anything by sending a covering letter to the police you just look on their website for open positions if they dont have one they dont file yours away they just ask for you to submit it later. I worked for the recruitment at Avon and Somerset Police last year and if youre going for 'forensic assistant' thats not a post either you mean csi or something like an assistant in the fingerprint division which is just like an admin job. If youre going for proper forensic based things then you need a degree in forensics and relevant work experience. Feel free to ask any more questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    You wont get anything by sending a covering letter to the police you just look on their website for open positions if they dont have one they dont file yours away they just ask for you to submit it later. I worked for the recruitment at Avon and Somerset Police last year and if youre going for 'forensic assistant' thats not a post either you mean csi or something like an assistant in the fingerprint division which is just like an admin job. If youre going for proper forensic based things then you need a degree in forensics and relevant work experience. Feel free to ask any more questions.
    She's looking for an Assistant Psychologist role in a Forensic Psychology setting, most commonly with the HM Prison Service, presumably to gain experience to enter further study to qualify as a Forensic Psychologist. I don't know what nonsense you're on about in regards to her requiring a degree in Forensics/CSI-blabber. Did you actually read the thread?

OP, try this link:
    https://www21.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_hmp...arch+and+Apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    She's looking for an Assistant Psychologist role in a Forensic Psychology setting, most commonly with the HM Prison Service, presumably to gain experience to enter further study to qualify as a Forensic Psychologist. I don't know what nonsense you're on about in regards to her requiring a degree in Forensics/CSI-blabber. Did you actually read the thread?

OP, try this link:
    Yes I did and when we pm'd she seemed happy with the information i was giving her so there.

ReputationRep:

OP, try this link:
    I appreciate both of your help... but what Godspeed is talking about is along the lines of what I meant. Maybe I wasn't being clear enough. Because I can't do a masters in forensics due to personal circumstances, I was looking for assistant positions within the HM Prison Service; by doing this I gained the impression that you can work towards different positions within the service.

That link isn't working Godspeed... I'll try and find the original webpage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corexe)
    I appreciate both of your help... but what Godspeed is talking about is along the lines of what I meant. Maybe I wasn't being clear enough. Because I can't do a masters in forensics due to personal circumstances, I was looking for assistant positions within the HM Prison Service; by doing this I gained the impression that you can work towards different positions within the service.

That link isn't working Godspeed... I'll try and find the original webpage.
    Oh whoops. Try this:

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/careersandjobs/
    Then click Current Vacancies, then set job type to Psychologist.

ReputationRep:
    Oh whoops. Try this:

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/careersandjobs/
    Then click Current Vacancies, then set job type to Psychologist.
    This is where I was originally looking I have an active application at the moment... just filling out my skills/experience. I hate the way they word these things though, I always find it difficult to answer these sorts of questions so that they will actually want to take a look at me!

*1 Please give an example of how you have remained motivated and committed, and have completed a task against considerable obstacles. What was the situation? What did you do? What was the outcome?

*2 Please give an example showing how you have supported colleagues or others and have built relationships to achieve a common goal.

*3 Please give an example of how you have used effective communication skills. What was the situation? What did you do? What was the outcome?

*4 Please give an example of how you have taken ownership of your personal development or have encouraged and supported the development of others. What was the situation? What did you do? What was the outcome?

ReputationRep:
    I hope you can update us once you're hired. The questions are quite difficult though but very challenging to prepare you for your chosen career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johndale)
    I hope you can update us once you're hired. The questions are quite difficult though but very challenging to prepare you for your chosen career.
    Thank you - that's a very positive and motivating attitude!

ReputationRep:
    I have answered two of the questions as follows:

*3 Please give an example of how you have used effective communication skills. What was the situation? What did you do? What was the outcome?

Within my current job as a Customer Service Advisor within Motor Insurance, I am required to use communication skills each and every day. Taking on average 70 calls a day there is no doubt that every call will vary; dealing with different situations and individual customer demands I must communicate effectively with each and every customer. This means I must treat everyone fairly, which at times can be difficult when faced with someone who is either extremely angry, or someone who has lost a loved one, etc. Only 2 weeks ago I had a gentleman on the phone who had recently split up with his wife of many years; they needed to swap their cars over and their No Claims Bonus, however were not on speaking terms. Using effective communication skills I was able to talk to both the husband and the wife seperately, however still achieving the job at hand. The gentlemen later sent in a letter of thanks to myself which I received this week.

*4 Please give an example of how you have taken ownership of your personal development or have encouraged and supported the development of others. What was the situation? What did you do? What was the outcome?

Again, in my current job role, I meet with my line manager once a week and also once a month to discuss my performance over the past week and the month before to see what I am achieving, and what I can do to increase my personal development, including performance, targets, and learning new skills. In my meeting in the month of December 2009, after reviewing my performance, I was informed that if I meet my targets and improve my performance even more over the coming month, I could be promoted in my role to a Grade 1 Insurance Consultant; this would mean a higher salary, more demands, and the ability to take on more skills and go further within my career. In January 2010 my performance and development was reviewed by my line manager, and the department manager, who both agreed to promote me, and also offer me an increased bonus in my salary for my hard work.

Does anyone think they are sufficient answers?

ReputationRep:
    I've now applied... let's wait and see

ReputationRep:
    What prison did you apply for and did you get the job? what was interview like? I am looking at applying for similar post any tips?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2010
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.