Turn on thread page Beta

dealing with the death of a pet - how do you cope? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, my German Shepard Dog, Pippa, who lives at my moms, is booked to be put down on Monday. She's only just nearly 8 years old, but she has a degenerative condition in her legs which makes it hard for her to walk now without dragging her feet, which understandably bloodies them. This sounds soppy, but I cant explain how much this damn dog means to me. She was my friend when I was having difficult times (when I lived with my mom). I can't bring myself to go and see her, partly because this weekend is busy for me (I'd have to get like 3 trains to go see her) and I know it will just upset me to say goodbye to her...it's upsetting me just thinking about that.

So how do you guys deal with the grief of losing a beloved pet? I know a lot of people get upset when your hamster of 2 years dies, but in my opinion, a dog or a cat, who can last way over 10 years usually, is a much bigger blow. I've grown up with Pippa - I was 10 when we got her, I've grown up with her. It's difficult to explain how important she is to me.

this is an old picture of her - she's the dog on the left.

ReputationRep:
    Your dog was not your friend. Dogs can't understand you, or speak. Get a new one.

ReputationRep:
    Go see her before she is put down, if she means that much to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    Your dog was not your friend. Dogs can't understand you, or speak. Get a new one.
    They are better than a lot of people. And they do understand emotions.

And for the whell thing...that's daft, she's a big dog and the condition affects both her back and front legs.

Go see her, you will regret it later if you don't.

Just get an exact replica of her.
    I done that with my cat when she died. Probably not the best way to deal with it emotionally, but it made me feel as if my first one hadn't gone,until that one died and I was left back at square one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Just get an exact replica of her.
    I done that with my cat when she died. Probably not the best way to deal with it emotionally, but it made me feel as if my first one hadn't gone,until that one died and I was left back at square one.
    can't get another dog, for starters i don't live with my mom anymore and i'll be going on a gap year soon and she has 3 other dogs and the people she rents the house from would go crazy (its a house with a big garden in the countryside)

ReputationRep:
    Consult a taxidermist

But tbh she doesn't look too happy in the picture, putting her down is the kindest way to say goodbye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Consult a taxidermist
    lol, its the losing of the pet, not the having her around that upsets me. to think she's no longer alive is what hurts.

and that picture is at least 4 years old V_V

ReputationRep:
    OP, I am so sorry to hear about your dog . They really do become part of your family and we miss them so very much when their time comes. I would try my hardest to go and see Pippa, give her a great big hug, tell her you love her.

This thread is so sad, I actually have tears in my eyes as I type this. (((Hugs))) to you and your family.

ReputationRep:
    You just deal with it.

Years later you might find yourself sobbing over a memory, or you might stop eating properly for a while, or you might just get on with your life. It's just like any other major blow - break-up, death of a loved one, death of a pet. They all make you feel lost and alone and heartbroken. And then, months later, you realise it's not that painful anymore.

Everyone is different.

I still cry when I think about some of my cats (who died years and years ago), but I dealt with my dog being put down really well. I'm dreading the horses dying - they are going to leave a massive hole in my life.

ReputationRep:
    You'll survive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    OP, I am so sorry to hear about your dog . They really do become part of your family and we miss them so very much when their time comes. I would try my hardest to go and see Pippa, give her a great big hug, tell her you love her.

This thread is so sad, I actually have tears in my eyes as I type this. (((Hugs))) to you and your family.
    thank you. unfortunatly the rest of my family are being less than sympathetic about it - they dont like her because she has cost us a lot over her life (she has a skin condition) but i love her so much.
    heres another picture of her that is slightly more recent
    I will go and see her...just have to work out how i'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    You remind me of my lovely little dog I got for my 5th birthday. She (or maybe he lol) had lived with me for about 3 years until the day she died, and honestly I cried much more than ever before. I do feel your pain, 8 year is such a long long time
    The only way we can do is move on though, that's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    thank you. unfortunatly the rest of my family are being less than sympathetic about it - they dont like her because she has cost us a lot over her life (she has a skin condition) but i love her so much.
    heres another picture of her that is slightly more recent
    I will go and see her...just have to work out how i'll get there.
    Awww she is beautiful .

I still miss my dog that was put to sleep when I was 16, she had an inoperable brain tumour and the vet said it was the kindest thing to do. Certainly didnt feel like it at the time though .She had been part of the family for 13 years and I was devastated when she died.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definately go and see her and say goodbye and spend a little time with her, you'd feel much worse if you don't go.

It's hard and there is no quick fix that you can get over the grief quickly, it just takes time, i remember when my oldm cat had to be put down when he was 20 it was horrible because he'd been with me since i was born and it does leave a big hole in your heart when they die.

But you'd regret not seeing her one last time even if it is hard to find the courage to say goodbye.

Big hugs

Xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog OP

I sort of know how you feel- last year my parents had to send our dog back to the rehoming centre she came from (they moved to a house where landlord didn't allow pets) while I was at uni, and I couldn't get home to say goodbye to her. Well I could have, but my family wouldn't have taken kindly to me being a wimp over a dog, and I'd probably have bawled on the 2 hour train journey back! I know she's still out there somewhere so it's not quite the same, but I can sympathise. I do wish I'd gone to say goodbye though.

Also, I felt an urge to get rid of pictures of her that I had, as they were upsetting to look at. I didn't do it, thankfully. Don't do that either!

They got a new dog recently so I make sure to say proper goodbyes to him whenever I leave, don't trust my parents haha!

ReputationRep:
    When I was 12 or 13 and away for the summer in America for some summer course, my Labrador of 7 years died, of food poisoning of all things. By the time I got back my parents had adopted a black Lab from a family with two other dogs that had been bullying the black Lab.

I'm ashamed to say I coped quite badly. The new dog was jumpy and nervous already, which is perfectly reasonable since he had been ganged up on and then (from his point of view, probably) abandoned by his previous owners. I'd find myself calling the name of my dead dog - it's a stupid, difficult habit to break - and take it out on the new dog. Not that I beat him or anything, I just didn't like him and made it clear to him by pushing him away and so on. God I was a little ****.

But every day now I try to make it up to him. He's a spoilt boy now - all that love lavished on him. And I still remember my first dog and get wet-eyed (like now), but I... got on with it.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to go say goodbye to her on sunday. I'll be in a bad mood all weekend now, and I'm going away on my own to Ireland which won't help, on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lasuil)
    I am going to go say goodbye to her on sunday. I'll be in a bad mood all weekend now, and I'm going away on my own to Ireland which won't help, on Monday.

:hugs: I feel for you i really do, I hope you are okay. Just remember all the times you spent with her and be thankful that she has had a nice life

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.