Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people enjoy killing animals? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious. Why is it that so many people seem to get pleasure from hunting and killing animals? I'm a vegetarian myself, but if you really want to eat meat I don't have too much of a problem with it (as long as the animals are not raised in factory farms). However, the one thing I really can't understand is why one would enjoy the actual killing of the animal.

I mean, what the hell is there to enjoy? I'd honestly like to know.

ReputationRep:
    Because they don't taste very nice when they're alive.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like killing animals...I'm not a veggie either but just a hungry teenager.

ReputationRep:
    Who "enjoys" killing animals exactly???

ReputationRep:
    Because animals taste better dead. Also if you shoot peasents, etc then they have had a good life in the out doors (unless if they have been kept caged, which I dissaprove of)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Who "enjoys" killing animals exactly???
    Have you heard of foxhunting?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that many people "enjoy" killing animals.

Farmers? It's their household income.
    Slaughterhouses? They sell meat, and employees need a wage.

The only people I could imagine getting a kick out of it are hunters, but then, I think it's more a case of, "the chase is better than the catch", and it is much like a sport, requires skill and practice. On top of that, I imagine quite a few hunters also do it to survive.

Foxhunting I think is just some weird tradition people still follow lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Because animals taste better dead. Also if you shoot peasents, etc then they have had a good life in the out doors (unless if they have been kept caged, which I dissaprove of)
    peasants are people too!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, the part that every hunter enjoys most is the pain suffered by the animal.

ReputationRep:
    We're humans. We're horrid, horrid creatures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Apparently, the part that every hunter enjoys most is the pain suffered by the animal.

Is this sarcasm?

I've gone hunting quite a few times, quail, pheasant, deer, duck, boar... In all of those you always try to cause the least pain possible to the animal.

Like others have said its enjoyable to be able to hunt something, it takes a certain skill and being able to put that to use is enjoyable. My friends, family, and I have never hunted anything with it being something we couldn't eat, or something that wasn't effecting us directly (coyotes)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    I'm curious. Why is it that so many people seem to get pleasure from hunting and killing animals? I'm a vegetarian myself, but if you really want to eat meat I don't have too much of a problem with it (as long as the animals are not raised in factory farms). However, the one thing I really can't understand is why one would enjoy the actual killing of the animal.

It might be because they have been raised to think it's acceptable, or simply because they enjoy it and take pleasure from it.

ReputationRep:
    I can see the pleasure in a kill.
    I want to go on a hunt one day, was going to go last year but couldn't

The chase the kill, the power of holding a weapon. Fantastic.
    Real unlike an FPS and you get something tasty to eat after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)

I shoot and I believe that if you eat meat then you should be willing to kill the animals in the first place, furthermore the birds on our shoot live wild and are totally free range, much more than you can say for farmed animals.
    Shooting is a real challenge and live birds are far more difficult and exciting than clays or target shooting. There is a huge adrenaline rush when you suddenly find yourself facing a high bird or a speedy hare (which has probably been wired into our system since prehistoric times) and the buzz of bringing home something you shot yourself, plucking and skinning it and eating it is great. Apart from that, its nice to walk around outdoors, good excercise and fun people. A really good day out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    were talking about animals not farm workers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I can see the pleasure in a kill.
    I want to go on a hunt one day, was going to go last year but couldn't

The chase the kill, the power of holding a weapon. Fantastic.
    Real unlike an FPS and you get something tasty to eat after.
    Go to Afghanistan and see if you feel the same euphoria then. If you survive, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    peasants are people too!
    Haha.

What I don't understand is the sick ***** that put hamsters in microwaves and drown kittens and horrible torturous things like that. It makes me want to cry and scream at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Go to Afghanistan and see if you feel the same euphoria then. If you survive, of course.
    We're talking about animals, not people, anyone that gets that rush thinking about doing that to people needs to be locked up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Yes because murder of a human is exactly the same thing as culling animals or hunting them for meat :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Onision is that you?

Anyway, to answer your question, it's all part of the food chain really. Many animals eat other animals for their nutrition. Humans are natural omnivores, therefore we generally eat meat and vegetation.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.