Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. For maths that is.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the only way you'll find out is to compare the exam papers. But they might not all do the same modules, or teach the same stuff, so it's pretty much subjective.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Probabaly not - but it will be easier to ensure you get one of the top marks if the calibre of student is lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Probabaly not - but it will be easier to ensure you get one of the top marks if the calibre of student is lower.
    Which it isn't. I bloody love TSR and its all-knowing A level students.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    I have never claimed to be all knowing darling, or that it was, hence the word if :rolleyes: . I bloody love TSR and it's presumptuous, overly defensive, university students ^^

Have a nice day. -lol-

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Well, the only way you'll find out is to compare the exam papers. But they might not all do the same modules, or teach the same stuff, so it's pretty much subjective.
    Well, suppose I got a 1 in Leeds and a 2:1 in Nottingham; do you think employers will favour the Nottingham grade over the Leeds one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    Well, suppose I got a 1 in Leeds and a 2:1 in Nottingham; do you think employers will favour the Nottingham grade over the Leeds one?
    If you're going for a heavily quantitative job at a firm that knows where the best unis for maths are, then maybe. For most other jobs, the 1st will count for more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you've asked ... yes i've been to all 3 uni's and leeds exams was a piece of piss :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisthe3rd)
    I'm glad you've asked ... yes i've been to all 3 uni's and leeds exams was a piece of piss :holmes:
    Potato.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    But surely that's true? Would it not easier to get a first from say, Thames Valley, than from Oxford? After all, most people who get into the top Unis, eg, Oxbridge, Durham etc, are already the best in the country. And of course, most of them will get 2.1s. Whereas, most people who go to the "bad" universities won't be anywhere near as academically capable, and yet some of them have to be given firsts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    But surely that's true? Would it not easier to get a first from say, Thames Valley, than from Oxford? After all, most people who get into the top Unis, eg, Oxbridge, Durham etc, are already the best in the country. And of course, most of them will get 2.1s. Whereas, most people who go to the "bad" universities won't be anywhere near as academically capable, and yet some of them have to be given firsts.
    Well, Thames Valley vs Oxbridge is a whole different question. You have a very low ranking university against the best two, so yeah.
    But when it comes to Nottingham, Leeds, Kings, Bristol, etc vs Oxbridge, surely there is a much smaller difference in the quality of the examinations. Also, the idea of 'giving' firsts surely has to involve making the exams piss easy.

ReputationRep:
    If you actually look at the final year statistics papers at Leeds they're coparable to a slightly harder S4 paper. Srsly. It's not very good for maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. For maths that is.
    Love how you answered your own question in the OP of your own thread.

ReputationRep:
    Potato.
    tomato

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisthe3rd)
    tomato
    Hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    If you actually look at the final year statistics papers at Leeds they're coparable to a slightly harder S4 paper. Srsly. It's not very good for maths.
    Would you be so kind as to show me this paper?

ReputationRep:
    Would you be so kind as to show me this paper?
    There you go.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 05STATS.pdf (95.1 KB, 149 views)

ReputationRep:
    There you go.
    Have you got anymore of these papers? Preferably not stats though. Or is there a link with more papers on?

ReputationRep:
    Well, Thames Valley vs Oxbridge is a whole different question. You have a very low ranking university against the best two, so yeah.
    But when it comes to Nottingham, Leeds, Kings, Bristol, etc vs Oxbridge, surely there is a much smaller difference in the quality of the examinations. Also, the idea of 'giving' firsts surely has to involve making the exams piss easy.
    There is a gulf between Nottingham and Leeds and then Oxbridge, ICL and Warwick for maths.

This is less than the difference between Thames Valley and Oxbridge - so what you said was technically correct - but you must understand that the calibre of students, quality of teaching and difficulty of exams is way higher at, say, Cambridge than at Nottingham.

As for your comments about 'giving' firsts; unis will standardise exams so a certain fraction (roughly 10-15% at most unis?) will get a first. So really, the top 15% of the student body will get a first.
    Using the above example again, the 16th percentile at Cambridge who "only" get a 2:1 would be significantly stronger mathematicians than, say, the 7th percentile at Nottingham who are getting a first.

ReputationRep:
    There you go.
    I saw a kitten give birth to a pear.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.