Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikki =])
    Have you got anymore of these papers? Preferably not stats though. Or is there a link with more papers on?
    That paper was not just a final year Leeds stats exam, it was a Totally Tom final year Leeds stats exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    There is a gulf between Nottingham and Leeds and then Oxbridge, ICL and Warwick for maths.

This is less than the difference between Thames Valley and Oxbridge - so what you said was technically correct - but you must understand that the calibre of students, quality of teaching and difficulty of exams is way higher at, say, Cambridge than at Nottingham.

As for your comments about 'giving' firsts; unis will standardise exams so a certain fraction (roughly 10-15% at most unis?) will get a first. So really, the top 15% of the student body will get a first.
    Using the above example again, the 16th percentile at Cambridge who "only" get a 2:1 would be significantly stronger mathematicians than, say, the 7th percentile at Nottingham who are getting a first.
    DAMN! That will disadvantage me when I apply for Part III of the tripos. Surely if I get a brilliant 1st, say 90%+, I will stand out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    There is a gulf between Nottingham and Leeds and then Oxbridge, ICL and Warwick for maths.

This is less than the difference between Thames Valley and Oxbridge - so what you said was technically correct - but you must understand that the calibre of students, quality of teaching and difficulty of exams is way higher at, say, Cambridge than at Nottingham.

As for your comments about 'giving' firsts; unis will standardise exams so a certain fraction (roughly 10-15% at most unis?) will get a first. So really, the top 15% of the student body will get a first.
    Using the above example again, the 16th percentile at Cambridge who "only" get a 2:1 would be significantly stronger mathematicians than, say, the 7th percentile at Nottingham who are getting a first.
    Stop using superfluous language. What you've written is hearsay. Btw, according to someone I know Durham have a 60% firsts thing going on...

ReputationRep:
    Ha, as a current leeds student id love to know where you got that paper, seems pretty fake to me. Back to the original point, I doubt there's significant difference between leeds, york and notts papers as the uni's are similar in reputation .etc. I know people on here trust bill lionheart and his rankings would suggest such things as well. Nottingham is perhaps a bit better as it has slightly better entry scores and rae scores but not too much (leeds is 10th in country for research power, notts is 8th i think, It's on soton maths website if anyone can be bothered to check). Have a look at uni stats and you'll see leeds actually don't get as many 'good' degrees as the other two in fact, but that tells you little really. Anyone good enough to get in who works HARD can get a 2:1, quite a lot of people who don't are slackers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chris044)
    Ha, as a current leeds student id love to know where you got that paper, seems pretty fake to me. Back to the original point, I doubt there's significant difference between leeds, york and notts papers as the uni's are similar in reputation .etc. I know people on here trust bill lionheart and his rankings would suggest such things as well. Nottingham is perhaps a bit better as it has slightly better entry scores and rae scores but not too much (leeds is 10th in country for research power, notts is 8th i think, It's on soton maths website if anyone can be bothered to check). Have a look at uni stats and you'll see leeds actually don't get as many 'good' degrees as the other two in fact, but that tells you little really. Anyone good enough to get in who works HARD can get a 2:1, quite a lot of people who don't are slackers...
    The legitimacy of my paper is not in question.

ReputationRep:
    Mate I've taken 15 exams at leeds uni and i promise you that's not what they look like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Totally Tom)
    Stop using superfluous language. What you've written is hearsay. Btw, according to someone I know Durham have a 60% firsts thing going on...
    Surely he's right though? I mean for maths especially, Cambridge tends to attract the very best in the country (and you need STEP 1 1 to get in), and yet most of them will get 2.1s. Is it not reasonably obvious that a lot of those people could have achieved a First at another university?

ReputationRep:
    Mate I've taken 15 exams at leeds uni and i promise you that's not what they look like
    Let me assure you that you can trust that any post made by "Totally Tom" is posted under the scrutiny of a board of 4 directors, each having gained at least the equivalent of a MSc in Mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    That silly thing has edited it.

(sorry if I have offended Mrs/Miss/Mr/Ms Totally Tom. don't cry)

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't describe my language as superfluous, nor do I appreciate your heresay/Hear'say punnery.

Do you believe that 60% of all Durham students get a first? I do not think this is true.

(Original post by TRStemporaryusername)
    DAMN! That will disadvantage me when I apply for Part III of the tripos. Surely if I get a brilliant 1st, say 90%+, I will stand out.
    I don't know what the tripos is; but yes, a really high score in your degree will certainly put you at an advantage. Of the few internship/job application forms I've seen, several have asked for a "second/third year module average (%)" , and if you can write 90% in that box I think it will put you at an advantage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Surely he's right though? I mean for maths especially, Cambridge tends to attract the very best in the country (and you need STEP 1 1 to get in), and yet most of them will get 2.1s. Is it not reasonably obvious that a lot of those people could have achieved a First at another university?
    Basically, Cambridge isn't THAT much better.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you're getting confused with the 15 A-Level exams you sat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    That's probably true really, i mean for a lot of their postgrad programmes they ask for a cam 2:1 or a first elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    He may not be accurate, but is way along the right lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    Perhaps you're getting confused with the 15 A-Level exams you sat?
    Ha, there were 13 of them and they didn't have University of Leeds written at the top of them!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that can't be a real exam, is there no real uni exams for maths on the internet?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that can't be a real exam, is there no real uni exams for maths on the internet?
    They're normally restricted, manchester and sheffield don't though I seem to remember

ReputationRep:
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/students/offi...apers/math.htm

edit: whoops, they're restricted :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just for fun, here are some third year statistics papers from Leeds:

http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~robert...H3723-2009.pdf
    http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/campus/...H3733-2005.pdf
    http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~stuart.../3823-2002.pdf
    http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~christ...3713exam09.pdf

EDIT: And these are NOT restricted. They are, however, real. (Unlike that provided by Totally Tom.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I want to know what Totally Tom said. They even quoted me! :bawling:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.