Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

foundation year at college watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I am considering doing a foundation course for medicine. Has anybody on here done one? How hard is it?

ReputationRep:
    I heard the term 'foundation year' and instantly zoned out. Do it the proper way.

These 'foundation years' for Medicine are just a terrible Labour invention of sending low-class people (e.g. those on EMA or the first to go to university etc) to study Medicine and it's eventually going to disastrous consequences for the future of patient care.

OP, steer clear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LulaMinnick)
    I heard the terms 'foundation year' and instantly zoned out. Do it the proper way.

These 'foundation years' for Medicine are just a terrible Labour invention of sending low-class people (e.g. those on EMA or the first to go to university etc) to study Medicine and it's eventually going to disastrous consequences for the future of patient.

OP, steer clear.

What a load of utter ********.

Since they have to sit the same exams and due the same course as those who enter via the traditional way your argument is flawed. If you have a problem with these courses thats fine but come up with something more convincing. Troll your way by being more convincing eh?

OP you haven't specified what sort of foundation course you mean as there are many different types.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    What a load of utter ********.

Since they have to sit the same exams and due the same course as those who enter via the traditional way your argument is flawed. If you have a problem with these courses thats fine but come up with something more convincing. Troll your way by being more convincing eh?

OP you haven't specified what sort of foundation course you mean as there are many different types.
    The one at college where you can go into any med school not the one where its attatched to a med school.

ReputationRep:
    I heard the term 'foundation year' and instantly zoned out. Do it the proper way.

These 'foundation years' for Medicine are just a terrible Labour invention of sending low-class people (e.g. those on EMA or the first to go to university etc) to study Medicine and it's eventually going to disastrous consequences for the future of patient care.

OP, steer clear.
    I dont have any other options and I was on ema.:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nurse207)
    The one at college where you can go into any med school not the one where its attatched to a med school.
    actually last year 90% of the student who finished the foundation year at CWA go into medschool.
    (CWA is not conected to a medschool. it is it's own course)

so OP it you get on a foundtion course (a good one)then you actually, providing you pass, have a greater chance of getting into medicine than an Alevel student. statistically.

also for the indpendant colleges EMA doesnt make a difference as to weather they will accept you it will only make a difference in terms of the course fees.

ReputationRep:
    easier ey. I bet its hard to get on though. I have a good one near to where I live with similar statistics. My question is really however how hard it is. Is it comparable to the first year of medicine? And how hard is that compared to A-levels? Also, is there anybody who actually did science A-levels and got on to one and how much did the a-levels and the course overlap? I ask this because I did rather well at a-level and it wouldnt be a good measure of my aptitude to study if it was the same stuff.

ReputationRep:
    easier ey. I bet its hard to get on though.
    900 applicants for 40-90 places. so under 10%chance you will get on. Statistically it is easier to get into top unis so yea competion is high.
    I have a good one near to where I live with similar statistics. My question is really however how hard it is. Is it comparable to the first year of medicine?
    the courses are designed to perpare you for first year of medicine so it is all medical science at Alevel standard. there is just no rubbish about plants to learn about just good old human body stuff. however it is hard it is the equivalent to doing 3 full Alevels in a yr and getting As.

And how hard is that compared to A-levels?
    see above
    Also, is there anybody who actually did science A-levels and got on to one and how much did the a-levels and the course overlap?
    the human bio and chem overlap a lot, but if you have alreadu done science Alevel and did not get the grades for medicine then they would not accept you on the foundation course. the foundation course id for thoes with good academic standing but who do not have science alevels.

ReputationRep:
    damn those statistics:mad:

Still, it's worth a try.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    damn those statistics:mad:

Still, it's worth a try.:rolleyes:
    you have to be in it to win it, as they say

however unlike uni, where you can only appy for 4 med schools, you can apply to as many colleges as you like. so it will help your chances.

ReputationRep:

OP, steer clear.
    :O soooooooo not true, i'm applying for a foundation year alongside normal courses (incase i do better) because i was ill for months, so obvs didnt do as well, and foundation year has given me the chance to do the courses i want but just with an extra yr, so there isnt too much pressure to get top grades

ReputationRep:
    easier ey. I bet its hard to get on though. I have a good one near to where I live with similar statistics. My question is really however how hard it is. Is it comparable to the first year of medicine? And how hard is that compared to A-levels? Also, is there anybody who actually did science A-levels and got on to one and how much did the a-levels and the course overlap? I ask this because I did rather well at a-level and it wouldnt be a good measure of my aptitude to study if it was the same stuff.
    Whilst I can't tell you about a foundation year, when I started medicine all the second years said the first year of medicine is easier than A2's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Whilst I can't tell you about a foundation year, when I started medicine all the second years said the first year of medicine is easier than A2's!
    :woo: ... if I get on. A2's werent that bad. Although there seems to be a contradiction between people on TSR :hmmm: I've also heard its twice at hard. Maybe its because some people dont do four sciences and take for example two and an easy arts subject. Easy in terms of volume anyway. I'm not saying arts are easy.

ReputationRep:
    :woo: ... if I get on. A2's werent that bad. Although there seems to be a contradiction between people on TSR :hmmm: I've also heard its twice at hard. Maybe its because some people dont do four sciences and take for example two and an easy arts subject. Easy in terms of volume anyway. I'm not saying arts are easy.
    i still think you should consider a top up degree and GEP - quicker and cheaper.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.