Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown gave a personal televised interview with Piers Morgan:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Now I know what happened to his daughter was tragic and sad, no parent wants that and no person would want that to happen to a parent.

However it's obvious he has done this for political gain, to make himself look more human and to try and gain sympathy in time for the election in a few months.

It all seems a little desperate.
    I don't doubt his grief and his pain even now over his daughters death, but one can't help think that this is a politically calculated move.

If not to save his leadership then to save his party.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It was nothing more than electioneering, but it has worked. Just look at the Daily Mails comment page.

ReputationRep:
    I saw this advertised this morning. I think it would be interesting. It is obviously for electorial gain, however, like you both have said, it probably does work.

ReputationRep:
    of course its for the election. Gordon brown has always been more policy than personality, but if this is what the public wants he's giving it to them. The fact is we want to know more about the character of our leaders.

ReputationRep:
    Tut tut, using his daughter's death to gain some votes...that's low. But then, it is Gordon Brown...I'm not surprised of this yet another undignified distasteful approach.

ReputationRep:
    C'mon, Piers Morgan is hardly going to be a Paxman, is he? Be realistic, he used to be editor of the Mirror FFS. Everyone moaning and complain get a grip, is Brown only supposed to be interviewed by the media that opposes him? Would you complain if Cameron gave an interview to the Telegraph? or the Sun? You don't need an easy interview to know that Brown hasn't done the best job of running the country. This seems to me like another excuse to gripe and moan about him.

ReputationRep:
    what a ****.... which one am i talking about?

ReputationRep:
    should of done this at the start of his reign .... not the end, i doubt anyone cares

ReputationRep:
    I like Gordon. He's displayed how real and down to earth is. He's one of us and has won my vote back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I like Gordon. He's displayed how real and down to earth is. He's one of us and has won my vote back.
    ***sarcasm detector twitching***

ReputationRep:
    Piers Morgan has to be the biggest **** on tv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    C'mon, Piers Morgan is hardly going to be a Paxman, is he? Be realistic, he used to be editor of the Mirror FFS. Everyone moaning and complain get a grip, is Brown only supposed to be interviewed by the media that opposes him? Would you complain if Cameron gave an interview to the Telegraph? or the Sun? You don't need an easy interview to know that Brown hasn't done the best job of running the country. This seems to me like another excuse to gripe and moan about him.
    If Cameron did an interview similiar to this talking about his son Ivan's death I would react exactly the same way.

It's not just another excuse to gripe and moan about him.

It's about having him figured out and watching him squirm and do anything to gain popularity.

ReputationRep:
    I ******* hate Piers Morgan so much..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    If Cameron did an interview similiar to this talking about his son Ivan's death I would react exactly the same way.

It's not just another excuse to gripe and moan about him.

It's about having him figured out and watching him squirm and do anything to gain popularity.
    You and I might have him figured out, but most people won't. I'm sorry to break this to you but this is how democratic politics in this country works. The population as a whole has too short an attention span to critically examine a parties policies, and so politicians reach out to them by speaking to them on their level, by discussing personal experience and how it has influenced their views, in an effort to appear in touch with the population. It's something all politicians are guilty of, and it's not helped by the media pandering to it by making tossers like Piers Morgan seem like a credible interviewer. I'm sorry if I seem cynical, but Britain as a nation gets the democracy it deserves; interviews like this happen for a reason: that reason is our electoral politics plays out like a simple popularity contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I ******* hate Piers Morgan so much..
    Oh thank god, I'm not the only one. Who is he.. He just came out of nowhere to do Britain's got talent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    You and I might have him figured out, but most people won't. I'm sorry to break this to you but this is how democratic politics in this country works. The population as a whole has too short an attention span to critically examine a parties policies, and so politicians reach out to them by speaking to them on their level, by discussing personal experience and how it has influenced their views, in an effort to appear in touch with the population. It's something all politicians are guilty of, and it's not helped by the media pandering to it by making tossers like Piers Morgan seem like a credible interviewer. I'm sorry if I seem cynical, but Britain as a nation gets the democracy it deserves; interviews like this happen for a reason: that reason is our electoral politics plays out like a simple popularity contest.
    I know that these days the public and public opinions do run on emotions and emotional manipulation, and that works for a lot of people but it won't for Brown, or Labour for as long as Brown is at the helm.

For weeks, and months Brown has been shown up time and time again in the media and only in the last 6-8 months has he started a charm campaign, youtube video's with him trying on a half-assed grin that makes him look even more like Shrek, and now this.

I would be surprised if there were still many ordinary Joe Labour supporters left that didn't at least have a few doubts about Gordon Brown, and if they deny it then they are most likely lying.

It's gotten so bad Brown is even alienating people from his own party, and the people that voted for him for his party.

And now, less than 12 weeks until the election this is the time he is trying to step up the charm campaign?

Even the dumbest most backward toothless imbecile could see through that ploy.

This is not American politics where the charm offensive is in constant flow with one hand whilst the other bashes the opponent. It's much more inconsistent here, so interviews like this will happen a lot less frequently so even if some gullible people were moved by this,the charm and the effect will soon wear off.

This attempt by brown is more see through than a piece of clothing Jodie Marsh would wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMixedTape7)
    i'm not saying this wasn't perfectly timed but he's not that inhumane that he's going to fake tears over his daughter's death. He was probably really upset
    His tears might not be fake, but his timing is priceless.

I'm sure doing the interview with the main topic being about his daughter had nothing whatsoever to do with the election in 12 weeks or less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ears)
    Oh thank god, I'm not the only one. Who is he.. He just came out of nowhere to do Britain's got talent.
    No he didn't. He edited the Mirror beforehand and had a career as a successful journalist before pursuing a career in television. Just because your cultural knowledge doesn't extend beyond Saturday night ITV...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I know that these days the public and public opinions do run on emotions and emotional manipulation, and that works for a lot of people but it won't for Brown, or Labour for as long as Brown is at the helm.

For weeks, and months Brown has been shown up time and time again in the media and only in the last 6-8 months has he started a charm campaign, youtube video's with him trying on a half-assed grin that makes him look even more like Shrek, and now this.

I would be surprised if there were still many ordinary Joe Labour supporters left that didn't at least have a few doubts about Gordon Brown, and if they deny it then they are most likely lying.

It's gotten so bad Brown is even alienating people from his own party, and the people that voted for him for his party.

And now, less than 12 weeks until the election this is the time he is trying to step up the charm campaign?

Even the dumbest most backward toothless imbecile could see through that ploy.

This is not American politics where the charm offensive is in constant flow with one hand whilst the other bashes the opponent. It's much more inconsistent here, so interviews like this will happen a lot less frequently so even if some gullible people were moved by this,the charm and the effect will soon wear off.

This attempt by brown is more see through than a piece of clothing Jodie Marsh would wear.
    So just because he is a lost cause means he shouldn't try? I think Brown should have stepped down last year during the first leadership crisis; it's clear he won't win over the electorate and he has left it too late. That said, he has made the decision to stay the course, and interviews like this are part of his election strategy as much as they will be part of the strategy of Cameron and Clegg. Remember WebCameron? It's exactly the same crass, lowest common denominator election ploy. I don't think Brown should be singled out for this type of interview, no matter how bad his election chances look now. Not trying to appeal to the electorate is hardly going to change that, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Dislike Piers Morgan.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.