Turn on thread page Beta

Gordon Brown talks to Piers Morgan watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    So just because he is a lost cause means he shouldn't try? I think Brown should have stepped down last year during the first leadership crisis; it's clear he won't win over the electorate and he has left it too late. That said, he has made the decision to stay the course, and interviews like this are part of his election strategy as much as they will be part of the strategy of Cameron and Clegg. Remember WebCameron? It's exactly the same crass, lowest common denominator election ploy. I don't think Brown should be singled out for this type of interview, no matter how bad his election chances look now. Not trying to appeal to the electorate is hardly going to change that, is it?
    He can do what he likes, he's desperate and that obvious to see, you can see he is pulling out all the stops whilst his own party members are like rats off a sinking ship.

This is practically emotional manipulation, and it's low even for him.
    But like I said, it's not just him, if any politician did it I would have the same reaction whether prime minister or politician.

You don't think he should be singled out? well he is, because he's the Prime Minister. He is the main focus of Parliamentary activities so anything he does is going to be magnified.

The only reason some of his critics won't touch this is because his daughter is mentioned and to criticize him and the interview and him for doing the interview might be seen as insensitive by certain idiots. I guess that's another tactic Brown purposely employed.

Mention his daughter so that it's harder to pass comment and criticisms on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    He can do what he likes, he's desperate and that obvious to see, you can see he is pulling out all the stops whilst his own party members are like rats off a sinking ship.

This is practically emotional manipulation, and it's low even for him.
    But like I said, it's not just him, if any politician did it I would have the same reaction whether prime minister or politician.

You don't think he should be singled out? well he is, because he's the Prime Minister. He is the main focus of Parliamentary activities so anything he does is going to be magnified.

The only reason some of his critics won't touch this is because his daughter is mentioned and to criticize him and the interview and him for doing the interview might be seen as insensitive by certain idiots. I guess that's another tactic Brown purposely employed.

Mention his daughter so that it's harder to pass comment and criticisms on it.
    Well I think this interview is symptomatic of a much larger problem with political culture in this country, but I don't think we will agree so I'll just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who expects Gordon to call a General Election in the next few days thus invoking the laws regarding political neutrality and stopping any of the other party leaders having a 2 hour party election broadcast, interview broadcast on prime time television?

Am I just a cynic?

What I don't get about all this is what at the start of his Premiership he was popular and almost certainly would have won an election. Now further down the line, I think it is by no means certain he will win. Obviously this interview tonight is a deliberate attempt to win over the general public-Yes he could have had a serious interview with someone like Paxman but he knows by having one with Morgan it will reach a larger audience. Personally I would much prefer Brown to Cameron, who to me is trying to be a ever so slightly conservative Blair.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day the only disadvantage he has got on the moron that is David Cameron, is that he has privacy regarding his home life, whereas Cameron has cameras following him around along with his bicycle. I think Gordon Brown needs to let people see more of a personality, which i think the interview with Piers has allowed. Simple as that really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    C'mon, Piers Morgan is hardly going to be a Paxman, is he? Be realistic, he used to be editor of the Mirror FFS. Everyone moaning and complain get a grip, is Brown only supposed to be interviewed by the media that opposes him? Would you complain if Cameron gave an interview to the Telegraph? or the Sun? You don't need an easy interview to know that Brown hasn't done the best job of running the country. This seems to me like another excuse to gripe and moan about him.
    True.

Just watch it and enjoy the show. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMixedTape7)
    The main topic isn't his daughter, it's just that's all the media have picked up on. Their only going to focus on the sad or controversial stuff.
    Fair point, however doesn't make it any less calculated.

(Original post by donuticus)
    Am I the only one who expects Gordon to call a General Election in the next few days thus invoking the laws regarding political neutrality and stopping any of the other party leaders having a 2 hour party election broadcast, interview broadcast on prime time television?

Am I just a cynic?
    Your not the only cynical one.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it is a Sad day for Britain, when the Prime Minister of this Country, the leader of the Labour party, has to come on to a television show and talk all about his personal life, so he can appeal to the media frenzy society that we live in.

To be quite honest, what Gordon Brown does in his own life, is irrelevant to the running of this country, and it really is a shame that he has to go on and do this just to appeal to the voters.

I am however watching, and I am quite intrigued, and I really do hope he does get re-elected.

Discuss.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Don't you think it is a Sad day for Britain, when the Prime Minister of this Country, the leader of the Labour party, has to come on to a television show and talk all about his personal life, so he can appeal to the media frenzy society that we live in.

To be quite honest, what Gordon Brown does in his own life, is irrelevant to the running of this country, and it really is a shame that he has to go on and do this just to appeal to the voters.

I am however watching, and I am quite intrigued, and I really do hope he does get re-elected.

Discuss.
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by re-elected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by re-elected?
    Well, I could apologise for the fact that technically he wont get reelected, but the party will, with him as the leader.

But what I meant was "re" as in to happen again, and elected, as to be voted in. Consequently meaning for him to be voted into power, or rather to remain in power, in the upcoming general election.

Out of curiosity, why did you find it necessary to ask such a pedantic question, when you obviously knew what I meant?

ReputationRep:

Discuss.
    Considering the media is such a huge part of everyone's lives nowadays i don't think it makes a difference that it is used as PR for politics.
    However, your point on how that Gordon Brown's personal life is irrelevant is interesting, considering that David Cameron has cameras follow him into his personal home on a regular basis. Similar much? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k823127)
    Considering the media is such a huge part of everyone's lives nowadays i don't think it makes a difference that it is used as PR for politics.
    However, your point on how that Gordon Brown's personal life is irrelevant is interesting, considering that David Cameron has cameras follow him into his personal home on a regular basis. Similar much? :rolleyes:
    Oh indeed, and what an idiot he is. Which is why I think its a shame Gordon Brown as felt compelled to do it. But on another note, if it helps the Labour Party remain in power, I am quite happy for it to continue.

ReputationRep:
    Oh indeed, and what an idiot he is. Which is why I think its a shame Gordon Brown as felt compelled to do it. But on another note, if it helps the Labour Party remain in power, I am quite happy for it to continue.
    I like your ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k823127)
    I like your ideas
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    When Brown came into power the sentiment was that his seemingly dour personality was a good thing, we needed to go back to the boring John Major days of boring politics as opposed to the personality driven politics of the Blair era (that all parties were guilty of)

Seems it hasn't lasted. Which is a shame as politics should be serious and about policis and not the people as such.

ReputationRep:
    I think he came across really well, and the interview will serve him well for the election...anyone else see it? what did you think?

ReputationRep:
    Tony Blair left him in a massive hole and he is having to build little holes in the sides to help him get back up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WEB)
    I think he came across really well, and the interview will serve him well for the election...anyone else see it? what did you think?
    Yeah, I just watched it. I think it really will do him well, although we will have to wait a few days to see the results on the opinion polls. It was shockingly reared towards election rearing, the only question remotely related to politics, was what will you do if you don't win?

I did find it quite interesting, although i'm now waiting for the Cameron one, but I can't imagine it will be the same.

More Silver spoons I would imagine..... Oh and far more bull ****.

Edit: Far, far, far more bull ****.

Cameron is a ****

ReputationRep:
    I agree he did come across really well, I would consider voting labour but not conservative

ReputationRep:
    i love how morgan gets a sly little dig at jeremy clarkson, no surprise there

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.