Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baz1990)
    I agree he did come across really well, I would consider voting labour but not conservative
    I am very glad to here this.

Cameron is a ****
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Well, I could apologise for the fact that technically he wont get reelected, but the party will, with him as the leader.

But what I meant was "re" as in to happen again, and elected, as to be voted in. Consequently meaning for him to be voted into power, or rather to remain in power, in the upcoming general election.

Out of curiosity, why did you find it necessary to ask such a pedantic question, when you obviously knew what I meant?
    I'm not being pedantic. Brown was never elected. He has no mandate to govern until such a time where he leads his party to an electoral victory (which is not looking likely at the moment is it?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    I'm not being pedantic. Brown was never elected. He has no mandate to govern until such a time where he leads his party to an electoral victory (which is not looking likely at the moment is it?).
    Well as I said, I meant party not Leader. As you well know, we don't elect the Prime Minister, we elect the party.

Tony Brown - NOT ELECTED INTO POWER - His party was.
    Margaret Thatcher - NOT ELECTED INTO POWER - Her party was.

I believe his "mandate to govern" is that, that he was elected leader of the Labour Party, the governing body of this country.

ReputationRep:

Cameron is a ****
    true!!

ReputationRep:
    I think the entire proceedings had the potential to be an utter disaster, but Gordon Brown managed to turn it into what was an interesting and a positive insight into his life. Piers Morgan was actually very good, having him at ease and, dare I say it, smiling quite genuinely. I also noticed the Jeremy Clarkson thing and thought that he dwelled upon the marriage proposal for far too long, but there wasn't much that could be considered fake about the interview and it should have done him some good at this point in time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how he could have predicted Morgan was going to ask him such personal questions

I don't think he was doing this for political gain, but maybe to improve on his presentation and get people to know the "real him". Morgan himself said that the audience warmed up to him increasingly throughout the interview.

Sad to hear about his daughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Fair point, however doesn't make it any less calculated.

Your not the only cynical one.
    :yes:

Thank buggery for that then. I was beginning to wonder.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well as I said, I meant party not Leader. As you well know, we don't elect the Prime Minister, we elect the party.

Tony Brown - NOT ELECTED INTO POWER - His party was.
    Margaret Thatcher - NOT ELECTED INTO POWER - Her party was.

I believe his "mandate to govern" is that, that he was elected leader of the Labour Party, the governing body of this country.
    I know we don't directly elect our Prime Minister. But you are stupid if you think the electorate don't consider the Party Leader when voting their candidate into office.

Brown has no mandate to govern. He was "elected" leader of the Labour Party (I say "elected" but it was always going to be an uncontested leadership election) only 2 years into a parliamentary term and when he had the opportunity to hold a General Election (which the polls say he probably could have won), he bottled it and has been clinging to power ever since. He is a coward, his cabinet are spineless and the sooner they are all out of office, the better.

BTW, who is Tony Brown? Some strange NuLabour experiment gone wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    I know we don't directly elect our Prime Minister. But you are stupid if you think the electorate don't consider the Party Leader when voting their candidate into office.

Brown has no mandate to govern. He was "elected" leader of the Labour Party (I say "elected" but it was always going to be an uncontested leadership election) only 2 years into a parliamentary term and when he had the opportunity to hold a General Election (which the polls say he probably could have won), he bottled it and has been clinging to power ever since. He is a coward, his cabinet are spineless and the sooner they are all out of office, the better.

BTW, who is Tony Brown? Some strange NuLabour experiment gone wrong?
    Because your not pedantic?

Of course people consider the leader, that is what this whole thread is about. However, the fact is, he does have a mandate to govern, you may not agree with the way he became leader of the Labour party, but the fact is he did, and legitimately. That is his mandate to govern.

You really are an idiot if you believe a Cameron government will do this country any favours.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.