Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically what it says above... what would you reccommend for living in halls for my firstyear.

I dont have a huge preference personally, i was going to go self-catered but im begining to wonder if living in london it might just be easier and less stressful to go catered... plus i will be cooking for myself for the next few years anyway, so why not make it easier for myself for that first year??!

What are your experiences/opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Why should it be easier and less stressful to go catered when you live in a city with 6,000 restaurants of all price levels and cuisines?
    I did my BA in Germany where we don't have catered halls and I'd hate to be tied and not have the choice. Would never go catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Why should it be easier and less stressful to go catered when you live in a city with 6,000 restaurants of all price levels and cuisines?
    I did my BA in Germany where we don't have catered halls and I'd hate to be tied and not have the choice. Would never go catered.
    But surely it becomes wayyyy more expensive to eat out all the time like you are suggesting.... and it could get very boring having to cook for youself the whole time...

im just asking for opinions. like is the catered food any good from peoples experience and what would/have they done and how was it...?

ReputationRep:
    Well, from what I have seen, catered halls are more expensive compared to non-catered ones by around 200 GBP per month. That's 6.67 GBP per day. You can get a nice meal and snacks every day for that money even if you eat out every day (like I did/do/will do). Plus you have the choice and aren't forced to eat (usually mediocre) cafeteria food every day.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a very good point, i didnt think of working it out in that way! ha

anyone else got any advice/experience? especially regarding the apparent social side to catered halls? and intercollegiate vs UCL halls etc...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in catered halls but you pay for food as you get it - it isn't included in the accommodation fees, and you can get kitchen access if you want it (for a bit extra, i think around £15 a week). I use the canteen a lot - evening meals are only £2-£3 which is a lot cheaper than the £6+ you'd spend on eating out in the evening!

EDIT: Plus getting dinner at halls together was quite a social thing when we first got to uni - a nice place to get to know people

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.