Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Your personal statement was probaly pants. Basically. Sorry to be harsh, but the rest of your academic profile looks fine, grades wise. So I, as a lowly applicant of this cycle, am deducing that your personal statement was a bit on the bad side.

It's easier to improve your personal statement/learn to interview (Noticed your post-interview leicester rejection) with time than it is to improve your grades, and still be viable, with a gap year.
    yeh OP i realy dont intend to be cruel but your PS was probably below par or you got a bad reference maybe or it was realy bad luck but i would re-read your PS and think of what your doing wrong but their shouldnt be anything to stop you from re-applying just next time apply to a ukcat obsessed uni assuming you perform aswell as you did last time

ReputationRep:
    bad use of UKCAT result.

ReputationRep:
    Man thats harsh your grades are great...sorry.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Reapply... its worth a shot. Grades and UKCAT are really good! must have been unlucky, rubbish personal statement or interview, so work on these

ReputationRep:
    Your personal statement was probaly pants. Basically. Sorry to be harsh, but the rest of your academic profile looks fine, grades wise. So I, as a lowly applicant of this cycle, am deducing that your personal statement was a bit on the bad side.

It's easier to improve your personal statement/learn to interview (Noticed your post-interview leicester rejection) with time than it is to improve your grades, and still be viable, with a gap year.

You're probably right, my personal statement wasn't anything amazing and i didn't like my reference too much despite my head of sixth form saying he is good at them. Also I understand more about what to do second time around and which uni's will give me the best possible chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    That is so harsh. Most Personal Statements are full of ********/edited by parents and tutors anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It does sound like a lot of bad luck. One of my friends is going through the same thing.

I think it's definitely worth applying again next year, with those grades and everything, work on the personal statement and interview practise, maybe do some more work experience over the gap year too

ReputationRep:
    Never give up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mandrews91)
    Hey I've been rejected from all four of my medical uni's now. Cambridge, Notttingham, liverpool and leicester. and was wondering if it is worth me reapplying next year, I still really want to do medicine but don't want to waste another year of my life on an off chance..

My academics are:
    GCSE: 6A* 2A 4B
    AS: AAAAABD
    Predicted A2: A*A*AA
    UKCAT: (average) 742.5, (610,880,750,730)
    BMAT: 5.2 6.9 7.5

Other stuff:
    Nuffield science, Gold CREST award
    8 months volunteering on a hospital ward

any ideas?? anyone else in the same position??

What A-levels/AS levels did you take and what grades did you achieve regarding each subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamer5757)
    It does sound like a lot of bad luck. One of my friends is going through the same thing.

I think it's definitely worth applying again next year, with those grades and everything, work on the personal statement and interview practise, maybe do some more work experience over the gap year too
    I wouldn't say it's anything to do with luck. One offer says luck to me, in that they were lucky that one of them rated him slightly higher than the other. Four rejections sounds like something wrong with an application.

You're probably right, my personal statement wasn't anything amazing and i didn't like my reference too much despite my head of sixth form saying he is good at them. Also I understand more about what to do second time around and which uni's will give me the best possible chance of getting in.
    Then I would definitly say that it is worth another go. Assuming you get at least AAB at August, possibly AAA with the way 2011 requirements are going.

It's fairly easy to improve on a personal statement, assuming you can figure out what made it lacking.

ReputationRep:
    If you want it enough you'll reapply. Fill your year with as much experience as you can, then reapply and show those univesities that you are willing to wait a year if it gets you in. Most uni's love reapplicants, cos it shows your determination and that it is really what you want to do. It is one year! It probably seems like the most difficult thing to do right now, but seriously if you want it you will improve and reapply and it will make you an even better medic! Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it another go. Especially with your academic profile. Did you get interviewed at any of them?

I got rejected from medicine last year, had to take a totally unexpected gap year (which has been really productive) and now have 2 offers to do dentistry

ReputationRep:
    I know your pain dude. I've been through it all. But this is what I'd advice you to do.

1. Get the grades.

2. Gap year and do:

Work
    Work Experience
    Volunteer
    Sports
    Travel for a bit with the money you earned after you get your offer

3- Choose your 4 choices very carefully.
    4- Do as well in the UKCAT
    5- Practice for interviews from early on.

Sorted.

An unconditional offer will be waiting.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I've been rejected from all four of my medical uni's now. Cambridge, Notttingham, liverpool and leicester. and was wondering if it is worth me reapplying next year, I still really want to do medicine but don't want to waste another year of my life on an off chance..

My academics are:
    GCSE: 6A* 2A 4B
    AS: AAAAABD
    Predicted A2: A*A*AA
    UKCAT: (average) 742.5, (610,880,750,730)
    BMAT: 5.2 6.9 7.5

Other stuff:
    Nuffield science, Gold CREST award
    8 months volunteering on a hospital ward

any ideas?? anyone else in the same position??
    hmm i think ur ps is ok bc otherwise cambridge and leicester would nvr invited you for interview is just that medical universities play game with applicents i would say if you really like to study medicine go for it and apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate_Geek)
    What A-levels/AS levels did you take and what grades did you achieve regarding each subject?

AS: Maths A, Chem A, Bio A, Physics A, Further Maths B, Critical thinking D, Science for public understanding A
    A2(predicted): Maths A* Chem A* Bio A Physics A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milad007)

hmm i think ur ps is ok bc otherwise cambridge and leicester would nvr invited you for interview is just that medical universities play game with applicents i would say if you really like to study medicine go for it and apply next year.
    Stop spreading your crap around the forum. You've shown you know absolutely nothing about Cambridges or Leicesters applications process with the above post.

You aren't even applying for medicine, nor can you even compile a coherent sentence. To claim that medical universities play games with applicants as if they are some sort of evil genius sat in their lair, cackling as they maliciously burn medical applications is ludicrous.

Out. Now.

ReputationRep:
    AS: Maths A, Chem A, Bio A, Physics A, Further Maths B, Critical thinking D, Science for public understanding A
    A2(predicted): Maths A* Chem A* Bio A Physics A
    Oh, see I was wondering whether you'd taken appropriate subjects (with priority being to Chemistry).....but you have. How annoying and most unfortunate for you :grumble: .

I'd definitely apply again next year if it's really what you want to do in life!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's anything to do with luck. One offer says luck to me, in that they were lucky that one of them rated him slightly higher than the other. Four rejections sounds like something wrong with an application..
    hmm. i would disagree. he could have just been borderline on each uni, and got unlucky and was out-ranked due to the many many applicants with similar apps.

I had 7A*s 4As at gcse, predicted aa*a*, 677.5 ukcat, lots of volentary work/work expirience/extra curricular, heaps of dedication, and was told that my PS was very good by admissions peeps, and i got 4 rejections without interview. im not bragging but just saying that it can be just a case of missing the points requirments by the skin of your teeth and being a bit unlucky, and not having anything seriously worng with your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    hmm. i would disagree. he could have just been borderline on each uni, and got unlucky and was out-ranked due to the many many applicants with similar apps.

I had 7A*s 4As at gcse, predicted aa*a*, 677.5 ukcat, lots of volentary work/work expirience/extra curricular, heaps of dedication, and was told that my PS was very good by admissions peeps, and i got 4 rejections without interview. im not bragging but just saying that it can be just a case of missing the points requirments by the skin of your teeth and being a bit unlucky, and not having anything seriously worng with your application.
    Either you applied to the wrong places, or there was something wrong with your application. Those are the only two possible reasons for a rejection.

Yes, I know it's harsh to say, but to be perfectly honest, I doubt very much if you'd have lost much on scoring for your academics therefore it could only have been your personal statement that let you down.

If you personal statement was better then you wouldn't have missed every single interview by a margin. Therefore, the thing wrong with your application was your personal statement. I didn't say seriously wrong, I just said wrong.

Unless, of course, you applied to say Birmingham, or did badly in the BMAT or something. Then, it would be the BMAT that was the loose link in your application, or it was the wrong places argument.

For example, my rejection came from BSMS. After feedback I got the whole "nothing inherintly wrong with your application, better than average" whole shebang, but of course, I know exactly why I was rejected. My GCSEs.

Had my GCSEs been up to scratch I would have had that 0.X of a point and been called to interview, where, I may have secured an offer. Had I not, then my interview skills would have been the bad part of my application.

Had I had this with every single one of my universities I applied for then they would have been down to my GCSEs. Which is both a mix of applied to the wrong places because there was something wrong with my application.

However, with steller academics you can't really go wrong with where you are applying to. VERY few places will reject you based on those academics so it can only be your personal statement that let you down. So, that is where I'd say there was something wrong with your application.

There is **** all "luck" in medical applications, anyone who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,
    i've got 4 rejections from : Imperial, Cambridge(had interview then rejected afterwards), B'ham, Southampton. Imperial and camb said it was due to bmat b'ham it was due to low GCSE (7A* 3A and one B) and southampton was crazy competetive this year with 5000 applications. It's amazing how wrong things have gone for me, then again i guess it has for loads of other people...

I intend on reapplying and hopefully apply to some UKCAT unis only this year as i'm too scared to do the bmat again lol x) On my gap year i also want to get a job as a HCA (hopefully), and do some travelling! I'm already going to Tanzania over summer for some volunteer work... so hopefully that'll be something cool to add to my application!

Sorry for those of you who also have 4 rejections- i know how it feels dudes! xxxxxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.