Turn on thread page Beta

READ THIS If you have 4 medicine rejections watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopefully going to start applying for a HCA job around August as i'm travelling for 5 weeks! Although i don't know whether i should start applying for a HCA job now... i don't have ANY NVQs. Do you think it's worth applying NOW but asking if i can start in sept or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzy1234)
    I'm hopefully going to start applying for a HCA job around August as i'm travelling for 5 weeks! Although i don't know whether i should start applying for a HCA job now... i don't have ANY NVQs. Do you think it's worth applying NOW but asking if i can start in sept or something?
    Yeah, i'd apply now if i were you. At the moment i'm looking for HCA jobs but they are soooo rare and i can't find any
    I think it's best to look now and if you get the job, ask to start in september, rather than wait until august and not find any jobs. Also, apparently it takes a long time between getting the job offer and starting the job (CRB checks, immunisations etc), so the hospital/home probably won't mind too much

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'd apply now if i were you. At the moment i'm looking for HCA jobs but they are soooo rare and i can't find any
    I think it's best to look now and if you get the job, ask to start in september, rather than wait until august and not find any jobs. Also, apparently it takes a long time between getting the job offer and starting the job (CRB checks, immunisations etc), so the hospital/home probably won't mind too much
    Hey!
    Yeah i think i may start applying now then! And i know it's so hard finding a HCA job! About 80% of the ones they have up require you to have like 6 solid months of care experience AND NVQs. If you keep looking everyday a job might just pop up for you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DexterM)
    I'm not entirely sure! In my case it's just a fancy name for nursing assistant / receptionist / ward clerk / IT technician. Pretty good though!
    Oh, right. Pretty much the job I do then.

You probably get paid more though.

ReputationRep:
    Working as a surgical theatre HCA or as a phlebotomist is a good way of getting good experience as well as earning a decent amount of money. For those doing a gap year, a word of warning, it looks better if you do something clinical for the year as opposed to admin-related. You might be able to get away with an admin job whilst at school, but if you take a gap year, most medical schools like to see that your gap year has been well-spent.

Jobs as a ward or theatre HCA are good as well as, any medical-assistant jobs, working in a hospice, phlebotomist, mental health worker, care home worker, etc

In addition to this, you should have further GP/hospital work experience (preference tends to be given to post A-level) and try and choose it in a specific area of interest as it provides you with a bit more understanding with what goes on in certain departments.

Voluntary work abroad or with organizations like St. John's Ambulance looks really good.

Also, doing research or writing medically-related articles in student magazines looks good. Thinking outside the box, looks really good.

I hope this gives a few pointers

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: You chose 4 very competitive unis so perhaps you shouldn't be so surprised. Hmm you should have opted for a couple of med unis that are less competitive or more generous with interviews like St Georges or Barts ...do the UKCAT you will have so much more choice AND you will know by your score which Unis will be out of your reach...its a game. Play it.[/QUOTE]

Barts requires a UKCAT score of 660. not so easy to get an interview for, wudnt u agree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PersonA)
    EDIT: You chose 4 very competitive unis so perhaps you shouldn't be so surprised. Hmm you should have opted for a couple of med unis that are less competitive or more generous with interviews like St Georges or Barts ...do the UKCAT you will have so much more choice AND you will know by your score which Unis will be out of your reach...its a game. Play it.
    Barts requires a UKCAT score of 660. not so easy to get an interview for, wudnt u agree?[/QUOTE]

It is if you exceed the UKCAT cut-off. All the talk of people wanting to apply to specific medical schools is a bit silly at this point, without having sat the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    All the talk of people wanting to apply to specific medical schools is a bit silly at this point, without having sat the UKCAT.
    half agree with this,
    as obviously how you score on the UKCAT may influence your decision on where you apply, it did influence at least two of my choices for which i hadn't previously visited.

although knowing exactly where you want to firm before you sat the UKCAT may only make you more determined to do well in it,
    (well, again, that's the case for me)

ReputationRep:
    okay...so i applied to medicine for 2010 entry and was rejected by all 4 universities. i also applied to a back up course which would give me the opportunity to transfer to medicine second year if exams go well at the end of the first year but this is difficult and virtually impossible as they take only a few students. hopefully i get 3 As this year and hope to reapply for medicine next year for 2011 entry though i am unsure whether i should take a gap year and reapply or take my back up course and while on the course apply to medicine. i have checked and this is possible. advantages for the latter option would be that if i do not get into medicine 2011 entry i have not wasted a year and am doing a course which when finished i could apply for medicine graduate entry. i really want to do medicine what should i do?

ReputationRep:
    gap year and reapply all the way- if you get it its a year less of debt and you can use the year to improve your application and make yourself really stand out

ReputationRep:
    Life's a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hali0112)
    okay...so i applied to medicine for 2010 entry and was rejected by all 4 universities. i also applied to a back up course which would give me the opportunity to transfer to medicine second year if exams go well at the end of the first year but this is difficult and virtually impossible as they take only a few students. hopefully i get 3 As this year and hope to reapply for medicine next year for 2011 entry though i am unsure whether i should take a gap year and reapply or take my back up course and while on the course apply to medicine. i have checked and this is possible. advantages for the latter option would be that if i do not get into medicine 2011 entry i have not wasted a year and am doing a course which when finished i could apply for medicine graduate entry. i really want to do medicine what should i do?
    Grad med is tough competiton, but then again why can't you do it? Do what a girl at my uni did. She did biochem, reapplied during her first uni year, and got in. That way she didn't waste a year and got where she wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overtherainbow)
    gap year and reapply all the way- if you get it its a year less of debt and you can use the year to improve your application and make yourself really stand out
    what do you recommend that i do in the year though because i have not applied to do one of those gap year programmes to go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    i also applied to a back up course which would give me the opportunity to transfer to medicine second year if exams go well at the end of the first year but this is difficult and virtually impossible as they take only a few students.
    What course is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckysLover)
    Grad med is tough competiton, but then again why can't you do it? Do what a girl at my uni did. She did biochem, reapplied during her first uni year, and got in. That way she didn't waste a year and got where she wanted.
    i'm confused....but didn't she waste that one year doing biochem when she got into medicine the following year because she didn't complete the biochem degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    What course is this?
    medical biochemistry at leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckysLover)
    Personally, I'd say that spending a year studying a course you have no intentions on pursuing is a waste. Not to mention the £10k of debt you'd land yourself in.

ReputationRep:
    i'm confused....but didn't she waste that one year doing biochem when she got into medicine the following year because she didn't complete the biochem degree.
    Yeah, however if she didn't get into med she'd still already have completed 1 year of biochem, leaving only two more to do before she could start on a grad course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Personally, I'd say that spending a year studying a course you have no intentions on pursuing is a waste. Not to mention the £10k of debt you'd land yourself in.
    Gave the reason as to why she did it above.

ReputationRep:
    Shame you can't choose 6 like before.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.